No OPT 40's available? Here's how to respond.

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
goon175
Ranger

Re: No OPT 40's available? Here's how to respond.

Post by goon175 »

There were in fact no opt. 40's available in november. Be comfortable with your decision, as if you would have held out, you wouldn't even be able to get 11x right now. The Regimental liason is ACTIVELY recruiting guys to go to RASP, provided you meet the minimum qualifications. The Army doesn't need people, in fact they have to figure out a way to drop 80,000 of them according to the latest reports, but the Regiment DOES need people. You will get a Ranger briefing in 30th AG, and at that time you will recieve a card from the Regimental liason, with instructions to call him on your 36 hr pass at the 9 week mark of your Infantry OSUT training if you still wish to go to RASP. He will most likely check your GT score and your PT score, and also check to see if you have gotten into any trouble during training.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

You could e-mail or call the liason....but it won't do you any good. He will tell you the same thing I just did. You won't be put on any super special list or anything by calling him when your not even a soldier yet.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Right now you are a non-entity. You have the opportunity to prove yourself through academic and physical excellence, as well as the indefinable qualities of "fitting in". For all your blather now, you might discover that by week 3 of OSUT, you just can't adjust to getting screamed out of bed a half hour before you like to go to bed now, or whatever. The odds of that are greater than your odds of making it all the way to RASP graduation, much less your first few months in a ranger battalion. The Army is correct in this policy, it slants the best chances towards those who are most likely to succeed as Rangers. If you can demonstrate that you are one of those, you will have your opportunity. If not, then maybe you will be an asset somewhere else. This way, the ball is entirely in your court. If you fail, then you will have achieved a certain self-awareness "normal people" can never have and will much better be able to find where you do fit.

I spell all this out not because I have any special appreciation or affinity towards you, I don't know you or care to. My long answers in these threads are for the benefit of any prospect who reads this deep so that the greater numbers will understand how and why selection works the way it does. My regiment is better served if you are discouraged now and not after you hog a slot.

"Good luck" is preparation meeting opportunity. You will make your own luck.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

TMAR8765 wrote:Thank you Ranger K.Ingraham for your insight!! I'm humbled but not discouraged!
Being humble is a good thing. Potentials are a dime a dozen. Performance counts. Never, never quit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKEnVOuO ... re=related
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
ICwrestler8745
Embryo

Post by ICwrestler8745 »

No option 40's available? Here is how to respond- Tell them to go stick it up their ass. If they still are holding out for a a long time - Go to fucking basic training. Work your ass off. Every "smoke" session the Drill Sergeants give you, stick it right back up their ass and show them you know whats up. Fuck that shit. If you want to be a Ranger, fucking show those big army fag boxes you got what it takes to serve in regiment. And if not, hit the fucking road pussy.
1/75 HAAF 09-Present
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

I'm convinced they have to start coughing up these opt. 40's again at some point, it just has not been happening lately. They are finally putting infantry jobs back out there, which I am very happy to see after a long drought of combat arms jobs.
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

It isn't for me, because I just enlist them and get them a slot in basic via the Ranger liason, he has really come through for me on my guys. I don't think the Regiment actually has a whole lot to do with the opt. 40's, as I believe it is just an incentive the big army uses to get people to join...and since they have no issues getting people to join, they aren't offering shit for incentives these days (seriously...i almost feel bad looking at some of these guys' contracts compared to what they were not even a year ago). As far as how many make it to Regiment...I would guess less than 5%...if even that. The Army really needs to get on par with the other branches in how we hand out our SOF contracts, both 18x and opt. 40's.
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

There are 11x opt 40's on the system today, FYI. First time in a very long time!
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
regularguy64
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by regularguy64 »

RangerX is right you'd probably be arrested. I live literally in the housing right across the street from the meps and knew my counselor on a first name basis (friends dad) so I was able to walk right over the second he found the opt 40 contract. Now shipping oct 9!
11X OPT 40
SHIP DATE: 20121009

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
Audacious
Embryo

Post by Audacious »

goon175 wrote:There are 11x opt 40's on the system today, FYI. First time in a very long time!
Where can I check this system Goon?

Return to “Recruitment Process”