role of 25c

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
a.schaff860
Embryo

role of 25c

Post by a.schaff860 »

after some talks with the recruiter and a few weeks of waiting, they informed me of a 25c/opt40 slot being open. i really wanted 13f or 11b, but before i turn it down i liked to get your opinions on it. i know 25c is a radio operator/maintainer, but what is there role in the regiment. they don't just sit around messing with radios, while everyone else is fighting right?
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: role of 25c

Post by Jim »

We have a number of former and current commo-types on the site who can address this in detail. I would tell you that across the board there are no jobs in the 75th Ranger Regiment that are unimportant.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Over there on the bottom left of your keyboard is a little thing called the "Shift" key. If that one isn't working, there is a twin over to the right on the other side of the spacebar. We are kinda funny about attention to detail around here.

RTOs do NOT sit around in the rear and play with radios. Communications are a key element in war-fighting, and you will be relied on to perform numerous important tasks that are vital to the success of the unit as a whole.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
a.schaff860
Embryo

Post by a.schaff860 »

I will be sure to capitalize from now on RangerX. I've become too accostomed to sending casual messages.

The job sounds very promising. I was just curious because my uncle, who completed Ranger school, made it sound like if you want to get in on some action, 25c probably isn't the way to go.
snafu
Ranger

Post by snafu »

A.Schaff,

I used to be an RTO in Regiment before I crossed over to the dark side. I can answer any specific questions you may have. PM me if interested.

Remember this...regardless of MOS, if you're wearing a Scroll, you are a Ranger. The standard does not change based on your job.
RSD, HHC 75th RHQ Dec 04-Oct 07
RCC, RSTB 75th Rgr Rgt. Oct 07-Feb 09
1/3 SFG (A) SigDet, Dec 09-May 12
RS 02-06

team 3 best team.
snafu
Ranger

Post by snafu »

PM sent
RSD, HHC 75th RHQ Dec 04-Oct 07
RCC, RSTB 75th Rgr Rgt. Oct 07-Feb 09
1/3 SFG (A) SigDet, Dec 09-May 12
RS 02-06

team 3 best team.
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

I was a section radio operator and later a line company commo NCOIC in an MOS code long extinct.
Granted, back then our radios looked remarkably like two tin cans and a string, but the principle remains the same.
Reliable communications is what makes the Regiment work. As a communicator, you might spend time in and around the TOC in the rear, but you might also be right in the line. Someone ensures that the commander's orders and intent reaches the operators and that the commander knows what is going on - the 25C is that 'someone'.

Thing is, being a prime mover for an M-4 sounds all glorious, but there are a lot of jobs that are a lot more interesting in the long run. In commo, you'll know much more about what's going on than anyone else, you'll be on the handset (or terminal) and have the latest and greatest scoop. After all, it must all pass through you and you will have to get it right, first time and every time. You'll have the chance to practice dark arts that are not understood by the rest of the unenlightened.

Vietnam and Korea era infantrymen can tell of company commander's radio operator (RTOs) assuming command in the middle of desperate fights when the commander went down because the RTO knew what every element was up to and knew the commander's intent and had the means to communicate it in his hands.

I'm not telling you what choice to make. While there's nothing wrong with being a 25C, you need to decide if this career field might be a good fit.

Another factor to consider is whether or not you want to do this in the "Big Army". After all, chances are that that is where you will spend your enlistment. No matter what MOS you go after, it will not be easy to enter our Regiment, most men can't, especially in the 'soft-skill' MOSs.
Any job will to a great extent be what YOU make of it.

If you want to go now, grab the 25C, or be patient a little longer. The wars aren't going anywhere.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Arch51
Ranger

Post by Arch51 »

Rangers, MEPS should be approving my medical prerequisites within the coming week or two. From scanning across forms I know 11x option 40 contracts are extremely limited after the first few months of the fiscal year. I was hoping for a slot for 11x or 13f would be open. However after reading lots of Ranger books I've become interested in the role of an RTO. So I asked my recruiter about 25c and whether it is a direct combat job or not. He said he's not shore but he believes RTOs in a combat setting is a designated 11b with a radio who would communicate with 25c who is in a TOC. Any clarification on the subject would be great.
3/75
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

25C, or more generically a "RTO" can be a combat job. Some infantry folks can be/used to be trained in commo skills to augment the need for communicators. If this still happens or not I do not know. Regiment used to indiscriminately blend the commo jobs and any commo MOS could end up in a line company doing communications.

Do a job you would want to do. Don't do a job just to get to Regiment. You have the foreknowledge of what you are getting into unlike many of us. Make an educated choice that can make you happy. Don't justify a job to get to your endgame. Get a job you want and then strive to achieve and reach the unit you want to be in. My opinion only of course.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Arch51
Ranger

Post by Arch51 »

Roger, Ranger Disinfertention.
3/75
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

Arch - I will follow up with there are folks over the years who have done both things. Grabbed the first job they could to get to Regiment and those that took the job they wanted, missed an Opt 40, and some of them got there some of them didn't.

Just to reiterate, the important thing here is to define what you want to do. You want to serve in Regiment I'd assume. Ok, if you're willing to do that in any capacity then by all means, go the commo route. It's a good job and might give you certifications or a good path on the outside. I'm not a commo guy, so I dunno. Either way... Hopefully that restrikes my point of: do you boo. Just understand the pros and cons of such.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Arch51
Ranger

Post by Arch51 »

Roger, Ranger Disinfertention.
3/75