Enlistment question??

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Hitokiri
Embryo

Enlistment question??

Post by Hitokiri »

Hello Rangers
I was just wondering if they had some new things I should ask for when I enlist with the option 40 as I have heard you should get these Montgomery GI Bill, Army College Fund. are there any more I should know about???

And I am also wondering if any of you have been able to study while in the army as my recruiter says its guaranteed you can do six units a year and that you get time everyday to go to school…I don’t know about this, it seems sketchy
Thanks in advance.
I will put my life on the line not for the thrill but the satisfaction of knowing my family and America can sleep at night quietly.
Hitokiri
Embryo

Re: Enlistment question??

Post by Hitokiri »

Understood Rangers Thanks
I will put my life on the line not for the thrill but the satisfaction of knowing my family and America can sleep at night quietly.
NoPainNoGain
Embryo

Post by NoPainNoGain »

Bandito wrote:
If being a Ranger is what you really want, then everything else that is added is nothing more than a perk. The GI Bill and College Fund come with the package, the new package is so squared away, you can be a professional student for many years afterwards. If you already have some College under your belt, hell, you can get the VA to pay for Graduate School.
I have a related question and I think this almost answers it but I wanted to clarify.

I was told by my recruiter that the College Fund is automatically in my contract but I don't see where it says that. Where would it say that in my contract? I currently have 11X option 4 with associated option 17 and 174.

But I still have to do another renegotiation once I get option 40 added by my CSM (long story, check my intro) so even if I don't have the College Fund now could I just have it added on the reno?

I already have college credits but I don't plan on taking classes while enlisted though I would like to once I am no longer in the service, whenever that may be.
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

Bandito wrote:If education is your concern, stay in school and get your degree, then you can make a choice.

If you are wanting "bonuses" as part of your enlistment, go do something else, apparently being a Ranger is not your 1st priority.

If being a Ranger is what you really want, then everything else that is added is nothing more than a perk. The GI Bill and College Fund come with the package, the new package is so squared away, you can be a professional student for many years afterwards. If you already have some College under your belt, hell, you can get the VA to pay for Graduate School.

You need to figure out what you priorities are kid, if being a Ranger is your priority, then don't worry about what schooling you can get while you are in, the only school you should be thinking about is the warfighting type.
I feel like this might be the wrong advice. If you are going to sign, you may as well get everything you can in your contract. I know I felt pretty damn dumb when every other fartknocker that I went to Basic, Airborne, and RIP with had 10, 15 and even 20 thousand dollar bonuses and I had nothing. Get what you can while keeping focus on the main objective would be my answer
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
Hitokiri
Embryo

Post by Hitokiri »

Thank you Ranger Baseplate. Do you know what they asked for to get those cash bonuses?? thats more than I though you could get !!
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

You will have to ask someone who got a bonus.
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
Hitokiri
Embryo

Post by Hitokiri »

Ok well Thnx anyways
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Hitokiri wrote:Ok well Thnx anyways
Check the recent posts in the introductions forum. One of the posters says he got a 17K bonus.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

To those who intend to Enlist or are thinking about it seriously.

Joining the Army as a means to pursue an Education is perfectly reasonable and honorable!

You won't be "Given" time to do your school work, but if it is a priority you can make the time to do it.

The bottom line to all this is, join with an understanding of your mission as a Soldier and know what it is the Army may ask you to do to earn your college money.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"

Return to “Recruitment Process”