Preparing to Sign My Option 40

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Thor
Future Soldier

Preparing to Sign My Option 40

Post by Thor »

Morning Rangers,

I'm going to speak with my recruiter today about my option 40. Going with a 13F MoS, and was wondering if I can get an idea on what bonuses I may recieve. My recruiter is a pretty straightforward guy, and a Major in the Army who is a family friend says he is a very honest recruiter, but I'm always a little skeptical when it comes to recruiters after hearing some of the 'horror stories'. What should I expect? I know I am to make sure everything is in writing, as verbal promises don't mean shit. Also, my ASVAB score is an 84, 119 GT.

One last question. I will be enlisting into the DEP, so does every recruiting office offer the chance of getting promoted befoe you shi to OSUT or does it vary?

Thanks in advance for the help. Reply here or just PM me.
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Re: Preparing to Sign My Option 40

Post by Ranger Bill »

I can't help with the bonus question. But is you have enough time before you ship to master the required tasks - and they are pretty easy - you can ship with a higher pay grade. Many recruiters actually hold classes and conduct regular PT sessions with their Future Soldiers.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Thor
Future Soldier

Post by Thor »

So I talked to my recruiter today on the phone(his schedule was busy yesterday, so I can't see him until monday now.) and told him that instead of 11x option 40, I was dead-set on 13F option 40, now. He sounded very uneasy about it and said "Well once you get here we will look at all the jobs and see what is availible.". Is this anything to worry about? He didn't sound very keen on 13F Option 40, and I don't know why. It was just pretty odd the way he said it. I should've said "Well it's 13F or bust.", but he was in a hurry so I didn't really get the chance. So is there any certain way I should approach this situation when I go in to see him? I could just be making a big deal out of nothing, though.
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Thor, you take what you want to take...nothing more, nothing less. If 13F OPT40 is what turns you on, don't sign for anything less....no matter how "busy" your recruiter seems.

Sure, he's busy. He's got a lunch date with that 19 year old blonde that he's signing up, then he needs to be back in the office to meet that 17 year old's parents, so he can impress the shit out of him. After that, the CO wants to talk to him about this month's numbers.

He's a recruiter. He spends his day drinking Starbucks in a shopping mall office. He's after a quota. This is YOUR life, not his. Fuck him. He has a job to do, and he will try his best to do it. You have a dream....don't throw it away because you feel sorry for a dude you don't even know.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Thor
Future Soldier

Post by Thor »

EarthPig wrote:Thor, you take what you want to take...nothing more, nothing less. If 13F OPT40 is what turns you on, don't sign for anything less....no matter how "busy" your recruiter seems.

Sure, he's busy. He's got a lunch date with that 19 year old blonde that he's signing up, then he needs to be back in the office to meet that 17 year old's parents, so he can impress the shit out of him. After that, the CO wants to talk to him about this month's numbers.

He's a recruiter. He spends his day drinking Starbucks in a shopping mall office. He's after a quota. This is YOUR life, not his. fuck him. He has a job to do, and he will try his best to do it. You have a dream....don't throw it away because you feel sorry for a dude you don't even know.

RLTW
EP

Thanks for the advice, Ranger Bill. I don't plan on giving. If he doesn't give me 13FOPT40 then I'm going to walk out and come in the next day until I get it. Worst case scenario I'll go to a different recruiter. and get what I want.
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Thor wrote:
EarthPig wrote:Thor, you take what you want to take...nothing more, nothing less. If 13F OPT40 is what turns you on, don't sign for anything less....no matter how "busy" your recruiter seems.

He's a recruiter. He spends his day drinking Starbucks in a shopping mall office. He's after a quota. This is YOUR life, not his. fuck him. He has a job to do, and he will try his best to do it. You have a dream....don't throw it away because you feel sorry for a dude you don't even know.

RLTW
EP

Thanks for the advice, Ranger Bill. I don't plan on giving. If he doesn't give me 13FOPT40 then I'm going to walk out and come in the next day until I get it. Worst case scenario I'll go to a different recruiter. and get what I want.
Well I've been called lots of things in my life.....

RLTW
EP
Thor
Future Soldier

Post by Thor »

EarthPig wrote:
Thor wrote:

RLTW
EP

Well I've been called lots of things in my life.....

RLTW
EP
Haha, apologies Ranger Earthpig! Mix-up with the names, and I don't know if being called Ranger Bill would be a compliment or a smack in the face. :P
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Thor wrote:Haha, apologies Ranger Earthpig! Mix-up with the names, and I don't know if being called Ranger Bill would be a compliment or a smack in the face. :P
He's skinnier than me....it's definately a smack in the face. :lol:

RLTW
EP
Thor
Future Soldier

Post by Thor »

EarthPig wrote:
Thor wrote:Haha, apologies Ranger Earthpig! Mix-up with the names, and I don't know if being called Ranger Bill would be a compliment or a smack in the face. :P
He's skinnier than me....it's definately a smack in the face. :lol:

RLTW
EP
Righto, feel free to smoke me as you see fit. :mrgreen:
Thor
Future Soldier

Post by Thor »

Thor wrote:
JLTW!!! wrote:Don't forget where you are stud!!! Make sure you address the men of this board, such as Ranger Earthpig, correctly in the future.....there is a title under his name b/c he EARNED it!
Yes, Ranger JLTW. As you can see, I've done so in previous posts, but thanks for pointing out my slip-up. Can't imagine how a Drill Sergeant would react to improper addressing like that in OSUT!
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

EarthPig wrote:He's skinnier than me....it's definately a smack in the face. :lol:
Ranger EarthPig is fatter than me and shows little respect for his elders. I also think he suffers from a head injury.

QRT was here
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Thor wrote:
Thor wrote:
JLTW!!! wrote:Don't forget where you are stud!!! Make sure you address the men of this board, such as Ranger Earthpig, correctly in the future.....there is a title under his name b/c he EARNED it!
Yes, Ranger JLTW. As you can see, I've done so in previous posts, but thanks for pointing out my slip-up. Can't imagine how a Drill Sergeant would react to improper addressing like that in OSUT!

Now is the time to shut your hole. You're not paying attention to detail, your responses are too casual and you're in significant danger of beginning to sound gay.

Believe me...a 13F needs to fucking pay attention.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

so true.

Lest he blow his buddies or himself to Kingdom come.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Thor
Future Soldier

Post by Thor »

Evening Rangers,

Talked to my recruiter's boss today and started signing papers and getting my application going. I have to go in on Wednesday to lock in and finish my application. I told him 13F Option 40. He checked the computer and said that wasn't availible and he would have to make a special call, and claimed he would do everything in his power to get me that contract. I'm hoping he follows through with his word because I'm going to be fucking pissed if the job 'isn't availible' and walk out and try again next month. Is this any BS or do they have to call to ask if certain jobs are availible? I understand that the Army only trains so many of x y and z troops a year, but 13F came up as a priority 3 job. Isn't that pretty high up? Opinions please, Rangers. Thanks in advance.

Return to “Recruitment Process”