Please Help

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
wannabe_doc
Tadpole

Please Help

Post by wannabe_doc »

I hope this is in the right forum. I have already signed my contract but am thinking about going in and trying to get a reno for my contract. I would let you know what my thoughts are on some of this as I have seen some conflicting things on here regarding the combat medic. I think I was too rash and thought that I would be pretty much infantry doing everything the infantry does like clearing rooms until the medic is needed. Also my absolute biggest fear is getting stuck in an aid station instead of being in the field.

I hope you Rangers can provide me with some guidance on this, if I do/can make the switch it wouldn't be until January because my recruiter now would kill me if I made him do any more work.

Aaron
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

You have a good MOS choice. Combat medic will give you more opportunities once you get out if you decide to.

You will recieve alot of great training while you are working in the aid station, and no, no one will think you are a p.o.s. while doing it. Rangers love their medics.

One of the Ranger Medics will be along shortly to give you better info.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

If you are a crappy medic that nobody wants working on them... yeah, you might get stuck in the aid station.

Look, working in the BAS is not the death sentence you think it is, and medics in The Regiment do a lot more than just hand out foot powder and earplugs. (They also hand out condoms too.. :wink: ) Working in the BAS is not the death sentence you think it is. It will be a necessary part of your job and training. Who do you think sees the Rangers first when they go to sick call? Guess what, if it's something simple they might not need to see the MD or PA... Or, they might want to see you instead of them. They just might trust you more.

I want you to do this before you make a decision; get a hold of the Ranger Medic Handbook and look at the names of people who are contributors and editors in the front cover. I personally know and have worked with at least half of them. I can tell you that they are the best health care practitioners I know of hands down, no matter what their level. A lot of the ones who are PAs and some of the MDs started out as platoon medics. They can work in either an aid station or in the field with equal skill.

If you don't want to do it because you don't think you are cut out for the job, I can understand that. Not many are, and you have to really want to do it. Everyone I know in the profession is kind of sick in the head anyway (kinda like all the guys I know who are Rangers.. curious..) Try volunteering at a hospital or on an ambulance to get an idea of what treating patients in emergencies is like. If you don't think you can do the job, no harm in admitting it.

However, in my very skewed and biased opinion, you will be giving up the greatest job in the Army; that of the Ranger Platoon medic.

Aww, fuck it.... PM inbound. :roll:
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
wannabe_doc
Tadpole

Post by wannabe_doc »

Roger PM recieved and replied
DJB
Ranger

Post by DJB »

There is no greater feeling of both fear and pride than knowing that your guys trust you with their lives. Imagine getting a knock on your door at two AM on a saturday night, and opening it to find one of your boys standing before you holding there jaw, mumbling, "doc you got to help me, I just got shot". You jump into action, grabing your home stash aid bag when it comes to you. WHY THE FUCK DID YOU DRIVE TO MY HOUSE WHEN YOU COULD HAVE DRIVEN TO THE HOSPITAL! Its because they trust you that much. If you have reservations about being a medic this should be what frightens you most, not whether you will be doing sick call occasionally.

*Yeah true story, stud just drew $400 out of his saving account at a drive through ATM when someone sticks a gun in his face. The would be theif says "give me your money" Ranger says "yeah Right" and hits the gas. BANG-shot in the face. good news, in and out through the cheeks.
Aco1/75 Rgr 92-98, class 3/94, 300F1 5/95
Instructor Medical OBC, 99-00, 143rd LRSD (TXNG) 00-03.
Contractor Physician JBLM 2010-

Jihadists have no means by which to destroy the institutions of our society, while the Congressman does.

http://www.lifesharers.org/
Ndog275
Ranger

Post by Ndog275 »

DJB wrote:.
*Yeah true story, stud just drew $400 out of his saving account at a drive through ATM when someone sticks a gun in his face. The would be theif says "give me your money" Ranger says "yeah Right" and hits the gas. BANG-shot in the face. good news, in and out through the cheeks.
Man that story never gets old.... :lol:
A 1/75 93-97
B&HHC 2/75 97-99
RS 3,4&5-95

This mighty soldier on the eve of the war he waged
Told his troops of lessons learned from battles fought.
"May your heart grow bolder like an iron-clad brigade"
Said this leader to his outnumbered lot.

www.75thrra.com
www.tacticaltailor.com

Return to “Recruitment Process”