Turning down a commission

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Re: Turning down a commission

Post by Ranger Bill »

I thought you just ran away... You owe us a better update. Are you still considering a Ranger contract?
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Ranger Bill wrote:I thought you just ran away... You owe us a better update. Are you still considering a Ranger contract?
He's just as likely to honor an obligation here as he did when he quit the ROTC program.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Dirt Dart
Embryo

Post by Dirt Dart »

Rangers,

There was some confusion at the Recruiting Office with regards to my status as a disenrolled Cadet and what needed to be done to get me into the system. Fortunately I'm friends with a Recruiting Company Commander so he was able to get me squared away and put one of his station commanders in charge of my enlistment. As I understand it, due to being a disenrolled Cadet, I do not count towards any recruiters quota and thus only get processed with what little extra time they have to spare from their other duties. Since they are processing me as a personal favor and since I don't graduate till June of next year anyways, I felt it was best not to push them too hard to speed things up, as things stand I plan to go back down to MEPS to sign my contract when I come back up to school after the holidays.

Ranger Bill:
I am seeking a 68W Option 40 Contract.
SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Post by SkyShark »

Dirt Dart wrote:Rangers,

There was some confusion at the Recruiting Office with regards to my status as a disenrolled Cadet and what needed to be done to get me into the system. Fortunately I'm friends with a Recruiting Company Commander so he was able to get me squared away and put one of his station commanders in charge of my enlistment. As I understand it, due to being a disenrolled Cadet, I do not count towards any recruiters quota and thus only get processed with what little extra time they have to spare from their other duties. Since they are processing me as a personal favor and since I don't graduate till June of next year anyways, I felt it was best not to push them too hard to speed things up, as things stand I plan to go back down to MEPS to sign my contract when I come back up to school after the holidays.

Ranger Bill:
I am seeking a 68W Option 40 Contract.
wow
It's all good.
Dirt Dart
Embryo

Post by Dirt Dart »

Ranger vxhybrid,

Thank you for the information, if I quit my job and take additional classes I should just barely be able to finish a quarter early, making my earliest possible ship date anytime after 21 MAR 09. I'll make sure and let my recruiter know about the change.
Dirt Dart
Embryo

Post by Dirt Dart »

68W Option 40 secured! Took the MEPS counselor three and a half hours to get it approved due to my status as pseudo-prior service.

I ship on 20090630.

Basic Training - Ft. Sill - 20090706
AIT - Ft. Sam Houston - 20090914
Airborne Refresher - Ft. Benning - 20100201
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

congrats, you should have all the permissions as a FS.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Dirt Dart wrote:68W Option 40 secured! Took the MEPS counselor three and a half hours to get it approved due to my status as pseudo-prior service.

I ship on 20090630.

Basic Training - Ft. Sill - 20090706
AIT - Ft. Sam Houston - 20090914
Airborne Refresher - Ft. Benning - 20100201
Excellent! Please reflect for a moment and tell us what you have learned from this experience. never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Outstanding!
Now do more PT, whatever you're doing isn't enough. Trust me....

Read the 'letters from' and all the 'schools' forums regularly.
Take a good honest PT test and post your scores.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Dirt Dart
Embryo

Post by Dirt Dart »

Ranger Jim,

I have learned that in seeking a goal, its okay to be persistent. I have always had a problem with getting vocal about things I don't approve of. I generally avoid inter-personal conflicts as a whole, but sometimes to do at the cost of creating a cooperative solution to the problem. By not being afraid to voice my concerns: first to the Lt. Col. at my ROTC battalion, then to my recruiter, and finally with the MEPS liaison, I was able to secure what I really wanted out of the Army all along. And that is a chance to be an Army Ranger.

Ranger K.Ingraham,

I'm taking a full PT test Monday morning. I'll make sure to throw in pull-ups there as well, those have always been a challenge for me.
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

You are sure you have Ranger Contract? You did not specify a date for RIP. I think that should be on your contract.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Dirt Dart wrote:Ranger Jim,

I have learned that in seeking a goal, its okay to be persistent. I have always had a problem with getting vocal about things I don't approve of. I generally avoid inter-personal conflicts as a whole, but sometimes to do at the cost of creating a cooperative solution to the problem. By not being afraid to voice my concerns: first to the Lt. Col. at my ROTC battalion, then to my recruiter, and finally with the MEPS liaison, I was able to secure what I really wanted out of the Army all along. And that is a chance to be an Army Ranger.
You have come a long way. I personally think you are making the right decision. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Dirt Dart
Embryo

Post by Dirt Dart »

Ranger Bill wrote:You are sure you have Ranger Contract? You did not specify a date for RIP. I think that should be on your contract.
Ranger Bill,

While I do not have an assigned date for RIP, I understand that this is not uncommon, especially since I won't be finished with all other initial entry training and ready to move into RIP hold until mid-February 2010.

My contract clearly states Option 40 (US Army Airborne Ranger), and there are several points in the contract in regards to my understanding that I must be Airborne koalified and/or volunteer, that I must complete the Ranger Indoctrination Program, that the Battalion Commander can RFS me without breaching my enlistment contract and so on.

Edited to add PT scores:

Pull ups: 3
Push up score: 82 Repetitions: 59
Sit up score: 76 Repetitions: 62
Running score: 89 Run time: 13:59

Total PT score: 247

Need to work on upper body in general, my last 5 mile time (about 3 weeks ago) was under 36 min.

Return to “Recruitment Process”