officer option?

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Cerealheretic
Egg

officer option?

Post by Cerealheretic »

Is there anything comparable to the option 40 for those who are entering as officers?

Also, how many times did everyone have to apply to the various schools(airborne,ranger, etc.) to get in?
do geese see god?
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

:evil:
Last edited by Rangerguru on May 15th, 2007, 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

no and once, and how about a capitol "R", how many times are you going to have to be told?
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
42L5V
Ranger

Re: officer option?

Post by 42L5V »

Cerealheretic wrote:Is there anything comparable to the option 40 for those who are entering as officers?

Also, how many times did everyone have to apply to the various schools(airborne,ranger, etc.) to get in?
1. No. Officers do not get the numerous bonuses/offers/guarantees that Enlisted get. The only thing close is that CPTs who are close to their service commitment are being offered various schools (including Ranger, DLI, Master's Program, etc.) and a $20K bonus to extend their service obligation.

2. Once. Successful completion of 101st Pre-Ranger. 90% of the answers will be One.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
Oto-Man
Ranger

Post by Oto-Man »

Cerealheretic wrote:Is there anything comparable to the option 40 for those who are entering as officers?

I told my recruiter I wanted to be a Secret Squirel...he said you can't get there from here.....something about E-5 and 22 yrs old or some shit....

Then he said, "BUT...you can get there from HERE...and he popped in a 15 minute video of RANGERS...and I said "okey dokey let's do that...." :shock: :shock:

So in answer to your question, I never had to apply for anything, It was all in my CONTRACT before I left...mine to screw up...

I have no idea what Officer's need to do...

Maybe you should send a PM to SFC Hit_it... He could probably help you more than I can....
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90
Cerealheretic
Egg

Post by Cerealheretic »

Thank you Ranger Oto-Man, I'll be sure to ask him, and my apologies Ranger RangerGuru, I'm sorry about the capitalization, it won't happen again.
do geese see god?
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

You need a different avatar. You are to pick one from the Newts, and Newts 2 section.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

Cerealheretic wrote:Thank you Ranger Oto-Man, I'll be sure to ask him, and my apologies Ranger RangerGuru, I'm sorry about the capitalization, it won't happen again.

Hey Sparky, don't post again until you answer the numerous questions posed to you in your intro thread. We're not big on wasting our time regurgitating the same shit over and over to lazy ass HS kids such as yourself. These questions have been covered, ad nauseum.

Tread carefully...I hear the rotors turning....
Charlie 51
Ranger

Post by Charlie 51 »

Cerealheretic wrote:Thank you Ranger Oto-Man, I'll be sure to ask him, and my apologies Ranger RangerGuru, I'm sorry about the capitalization, it won't happen again.
Dude's already saying the running password....this kid is high speed!!

Here's some math for you little man

2000+ Army Rangers

3 battalions + Regimental HQ (not including new Support BN)
1 BN= roughly 600+ Rangers of which approx 35 are officers, that leaves 600 or so slots for enlisted. The new officers are all seasoned 1LT's with PL experience prior to getting to BN and then they have to do it all over again with soldiers as or more capable than themselves. Most are West Point Grads on their way to the fast track. If not WP then they are prior service NCO's with a ton of experience.

Moral of the story, you have very little chance serving as a Ranger Officer and only a slightly better chance of serving as enlisted. Total attrition rate for Rangers is about 70%, which means for every 100 who apply only 30 will make it all the way. This is just to get to BN. Ranger School has an enormous attrition rate as well, historically 50%. Consider, of the Billions of people that have walked the earth only 60,000 or so have ever graduated from Ranger School in it's 56 year history. That is .0000004% of the historic world population. Which means that you have a better chance of being struck by lightning, twice, being eaten by a shark and a having double malfunction on your first jump, all in the same month, than you do of becoming a Ranger.

Maybe you should just join the peace corps, they do some good work and have a low attrition rate.
C Co 2/75 Weapons
Classes 4-5/93

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there" - Will Rogers
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

The 'easy' part is getting there. The hard part is staying...........
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Parkie
Ranger

Post by Parkie »

42L5V wrote:

1. No. Officers do not get the numerous bonuses/offers/guarantees that Enlisted get. The only thing close is that CPTs who are close to their service commitment are being offered various schools (including Ranger, DLI, Master's Program, etc.) and a $20K bonus to extend their service obligation.

2. Once. Successful completion of 101st Pre-Ranger. 90% of the answers will be One.
Hell, if I knew that, maybe I would have stayed in.
03-99 RS
99-00 3-6 CAV (Korea)
00-02 3-6 FA, 10th Mtn (Kosovo)
02-05 3-62 FA & 1-5 CAV, 1st CAV (Iraq)

"Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely." Rodin (1840-1919)

Return to “Recruitment Process”