My MEPS story

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
spazzbite11
Infantryman

My MEPS story

Post by spazzbite11 »

So before I went to MEPS I was required to get a moral waiver for a few problems I had with the law a while back. The most recent being a DWI on Feb 5 2001, a couple of minor consumptions when I was 18 and 19 years old, and some minor traffic violations. So after a few interviews and taking full responsibility for my actions I got the waiver.

My MEPS physical went pretty well. When I was 17 I broke my tibula which required surgery and four years ago I broke my radius at work. My recruiter thought I might need an ortho evaluation, but the CMO signed off on my chart and it was not needed. My eyesight is pretty bad, but it is correctable to 20/20,so my PULHES was 111121. So after waiting from 12:00pm to 9:00pm, I was finally called in.

At the time I did not have a GED, and only had 7 college credits. I was not currently enrolled in school, and I didn't want to wait 6 months to enroll. I explained to my counselor what my situation was and told him I wanted an 11x airborne contract. He said this was not possible because the MEPS CMO would not sign off because of my eyesight even if I had 20/20 correctable. He said I could get the 11x but no airborne. Thanks to this website I knew he was feeding me a line of BS. I knew I did not meet the prequalifications to get 11x opt 40. But I told him the only contract I would sign is an 11x airborne or opt 40. So he sent me in to the security clearance officers office to fill out a questionaire, which he signed off at the entry level. I did not know why I had to do this knowing he wouldn't even give me airborne in my contract, let alone an option 40. But when I came out, he had an 11x option 40 contract for me to sign. I was shocked to say the least. I know that I somehow squeezed through the cracks, but I know this will never happen again. I think this actually gives me more motivation knowing I got a contract that seemed impossible to get.

The contract is for 4 years 19 weeks. No bonuses because I did not qualify, but in my position I had nothing to bargain with so I kept my mouth shut.

I did take my GED test and passed with flying colors, and this Saturday I will receive my promotion to E2.

After doing several searches I still have one question. My recruiter and myself had to set up another trip to MEPS so I could get my airborne physical. But in a recent conversation with him he said he called MEPS and they said I did not need one. I was under the impression that I had to do the ear pop and several other eye tests. Is this something I will do in OSUT, or is this something that has to be done before basic? Any help on this matter would be much appreciated.

FoxHound
Embryo

Post by FoxHound »

Congrats on the contract. The Airborne physical for me consisted of popping my ears and a red/green/white light vision test. So whenever you do it, dont sweat it because those things may be important when jumping from a plane, but the actual test is a joke. Hope this helps.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

You should have had an entrance physical. Once you get to Fort Benning and finish OSUT, you'll have time to get a Physical for Airborne school.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
spazzbite11
Infantryman

Post by spazzbite11 »

Thank you Ranger Silverback and FoxHound, my question is answered.

Return to “Recruitment Process”