Split training in USAR and option 40

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
gpatmac
Ranger

Split training in USAR and option 40

Post by gpatmac »

In the DEP intro's, I noticed where a DEP had enlisted in the Reserves as a 31b (obviously not 11b) as a junior, with good reason. The obvious benefits are that while he's a senior in HS, he can get a little extra cash, he'll have Basic Combat Training completed, and he'll have gained some considerable experience as a soldier.

However, he wants to be an Airborne Ranger.

He is good to go so long as he only completes BCT but not AIT.

Completion of AIT means that he is qualified in that MOS. Further, with regards to recruitment and enlistment, he is considered PRIOR SERVICE. Prior service applicants will have to accept any MOS (most likely the one they are qualified in) and options/incentives are by no means a guarantee.

Completion of BCT -only- means that following graduation from HS, the soldier can seek a release from his Reserves unit, then go back to the MEPS and essentially get re-written into the Regular Army with a completely new (11b) MOS, and all options/incentives (based on how qualified he is) are available.

Lastly, it's important to note that this is all assuming that the kid's Reserves unit releases him quickly. Normally, we haven't seen any issues here; especially since the President himself publicly stated that if someone in the USAR wanted to go onto active duty, the Reserves unit were supposed to release them.
4-17IN, 7th ID(L) - 1987-1991;2/327IN, 101st ID - 1997-2001; 2-5IN, 25th ID(L) - 2000-2004
Ranger Class 3/97,4/97,5/97(Grad)
wellfed
Ranger

Post by wellfed »

gpatmac, This is a slippery slope...The problem is funding, The Reserves paid for the kid to go to Basic and it is money they will not recoup if he is assessed in the regular Army. It can be a painful process and most reserve TPUs will not release split-options for that reason. good hunting.
"You're never beaten until you admit it."

RS 1-86
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

In recent years we have found that spit option Soldiers are EASIER to get released than MOSQ Soldiers.

The Soldier has to write a memroandum to his COC explaining why he wants to go active duty. The State TAG (NG) or the Reserve Commander (O-6) has to sign the DD Form 368. For Army Soldier a 4187 requesting RA enlistment should accompany the 368. It's not required for the other services reserve components.

My personal recommendation is to NOT JOIN THE RESERVES if you want to go active down the line. You shuld just go active fromn the start.

This post is now a sticky. It will remain open for discussion and changes when information is updated.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Jager1
Egg

split option

Post by Jager1 »

My goal in life is to become a Ranger. I have recently been contacted by a recruiter advising myself to enlist in split option as I can get money for college (which I require at this point in life) and get more knowledge about the Army. I told him my goal was to get the option 40 on my contract and that I did not want to do the split option as it might lock myself out of this opportunity. He called me back today saying he found a reserve unit in my area, that would release me to go active duty. I am hearing from him that I can re-class, go to AIT, Airborne, then Rip without any problems as soon as I am skeptical not because I do not trust the recruiter, but because this has been my life goal ever sense my relative gave me his Beret and SF Tabs when I was 5 years old. I am avidly perusing this route and will post any and all information I find, as well as greatly appreciate the facts I receive from Rangers in the know. Thank you.
Ape
Embryo

Post by Ape »

Hello Rangers, after reading several post on this website I'm starting to feel like I've been fucked. I took the split option and come back from basic to learn about having to stay a minimum of 2 years in the Reserves before reclassing into Active. My recruiter tells me this just began this past summer while I was at basic, is this true?
I mean I signed as a cook! No offense towards cooks but I never wanted to be combat support, I joined to be in combat. I want the option 40! I spoke to my recruiter and he says getting the option 40 on my contract shouldn't be hard but getting released from the Reserves is extremely unlikely.
I mean I get a hard on when doing Hooah shit. At basic when I was with motivated soldiers doing things like tactical movements or PT I was having a blast. At the Reserves everyone's dead and no one gives a damn. They're here because they have to be. Theres like 12 smoke breaks a day and the PT is pathetic. Hardely anyone passes. I don't want to be here another year or so and in the process lose my chance to be a Ranger!
Is there anything else I can do to help my chances of getting released? Better PT? Better ASVAB score? ANYTHING! I'm still new to the Army and don't understand how everything works. I just want to know what's going on here and why they won't let me switch.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Ape wrote:Hello Rangers, after reading several post on this website I'm starting to feel like I've been fucked. I took the split option and come back from basic to learn about having to stay a minimum of 2 years in the Reserves before reclassing into Active. My recruiter tells me this just began this past summer while I was at basic, is this true?
I mean I signed as a cook! No offense towards cooks but I never wanted to be combat support, I joined to be in combat. I want the option 40! I spoke to my recruiter and he says getting the option 40 on my contract shouldn't be hard but getting released from the Reserves is extremely unlikely.
I mean I get a hard on when doing Hooah shit. At basic when I was with motivated soldiers doing things like tactical movements or PT I was having a blast. At the Reserves everyone's dead and no one gives a damn. They're here because they have to be. Theres like 12 smoke breaks a day and the PT is pathetic. Hardely anyone passes. I don't want to be here another year or so and in the process lose my chance to be a Ranger!
Is there anything else I can do to help my chances of getting released? Better PT? Better ASVAB score? ANYTHING! I'm still new to the Army and don't understand how everything works. I just want to know what's going on here and why they won't let me switch.
My understanding is that if you have not completed AIT, your recruiter may be able to obtain a release from your USAR unit. Key word here is may.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
CaseyJones
Embryo

Post by CaseyJones »

I am currently a National Guard split op and am now in my senior year. My MOS will be 11B. I went down to Ft Benning over this past summer and completed what was listed as the first 9 weeks of Infantry OSUT. After being down there I decided that I loved the military lifestyle and I wanted to go active. After meeting with who I needed to see about this I found out that if I were even allowed to be released before getting MOS qual'd, then I'd lose my 20k bonus. Also, I wouldn't be able to get anything in my contract to go active (no Airborne, RIP, 18x) Even so, with Reserve and NG components being called up so frequently, most units (such as mine) are on alert so no soldiers can be released to go active. The way I see it, I will have to wait until my deployment with my current unit until I can get released to go active.
Ape
Embryo

Post by Ape »

Hello Rangers,
I've been doing research on this subject for the past few weeks but keep getting mixed information. I'll hear the normal, "You must stay a minimum of two years in the Reserves before even thinking about getting released." But my squad leader tells me that because I'm a split option I'm not tied to the reserves the same way an MOS qualified is. That I'm still floating and haven't chosen between Active or Reserves. Thus next speaking to my recruiter I should set up an appointment at meps requesting the Option 40.
But I still feel like all this information coming in isn't reliable. I'm getting different stories from different people. I want to know where I can find the rules and regulations to split options and the options I have in ink, on paper. Every book I find never mentions split options. So everythings a blur.

MAIN POINT!
I was hoping to learn if any Rangers know where to find the official rules and regulations to split options.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

Okay, you could have put this in it's own thread.

You getting released from the Reserves to go active duty is on your chain of command and you initiative.

I will say this, it will be easier for you to get an Option 40 before becoming MOS qualified than it will be afterward.

Go see the recruiter and do what he tells you with regard to getting you release from the unit.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Ape
Embryo

Re: Split training in USAR and option 40

Post by Ape »

Rangers, I have spoken to my recruiter and I have all the qualifcations down to get the op. 40 but getting a release from my commander. I was hoping to get some information that may help my case to get released. Does anyone know anything that I can do or say to up my chances with my commander or any information that may help?

I've been looking around for the past month but I've found little to nothing to help with getting released from the reserves to active under the split option. Any information is greatly appreciated.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

You have found nothing because there is not really anything you can do to make a commander release you. You should, however, talk to him/her and make them understand why you are interested in your goal and also state that though the unit may lose you, the Army is definitely not. All you are asking for is a shot.

Also, bear in mind that once your realease is signed you have 60 days to enlist AD or you will have to get it signed again. So don't fuck around once you have it.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Ape
Embryo

Post by Ape »

Thank you SFC hit_it.

All your advise has been well absorbed.

I'll keep everyone posted and give a sitrep after I speak with my commander.
Moses
Embryo

Post by Moses »

Ape wrote:Hello Rangers, after reading several post on this website I'm starting to feel like I've been fucked. I took the split option and come back from basic to learn about having to stay a minimum of 2 years in the Reserves before reclassing into Active. My recruiter tells me this just began this past summer while I was at basic, is this true?
Sorry ape Im USAR as well and I've been trying to go active about 5 minutes after I signed reserves, And I was told hell no. Period end of story. Now I have friends that have gone active out of my BN but the all valenteered to be MOB. first came back didnt have jobs and got out that way, so thats what Im doing i'll let you know in about a year if it works
moses
C co 324th Sig BN
Feb.07-current
Ape
Embryo

Post by Ape »

UPDATE!! Hello again Rangers, I just got the release from my unit today! I go to MEPS on Friday to renogotiate my contract. I've been working hard so far and don't want to trip close to the end of getting the Op. 40 on my contract. After speaking to my recruiter today he tells me I might get the op. 40 but not to keep my hopes up. back in 05 I got a misdemeenor for shop lifting with a old friend of mine. he tells me because of this they may tell me I am uneligible for the security clearance thus I may not get it. He says even getting Airborne on it may not happen. I really don't want either to happen and will appreciate any information anyone has to offer to help me out before I leave. Or anything I should ask for on the contract.
Ape
Embryo

Post by Ape »

Any information at all . . . . .

Return to “Recruitment Process”