Boots at Ranger

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
CitK09
Embryo

Boots at Ranger

Post by CitK09 »

Just returned from OEF. ETT RC-EAST (awesome!)

When I was at Benning for IBOLC in 2009, any boots sold at Commando's were OK at Pre-Ranger/Ranger School.

I was looking at the Benning website, and it looked like only basic issue boots were allowed (2011.) Now I'm hearing, via Commando's, CSM Smith has authorized all boots sold at Commando's, and they are re-designing the packing list to reflect it.

For 2011 are Rocky SV2s are ok, or do I need to get some Bellevilles? I need time to break those things in!

Thanks.
OEF X
Take the Tag Ab!
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Boots at Ranger

Post by Jim »

When last you posted, you were about to deploy. Please give us an update on your experience, and update your data.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
CitK09
Embryo

Post by CitK09 »

Where to begin...

Our Platoon was turned into an ETT team, basically serving as combat advisors to the Afghan National Army. It was 20 US, 5 Macedonian and 30 ANA. We went into a Taliban area W. of Tag Ab Valley, built a COP and put up 2 OPs overlooking the local ANP station. No running water, electricity, cell phones, internet! It evolved a pretty hot little area and we made some pretty significant contact.

We were pulled out and retasked up the Panjshir River on Kapisa/Parwan border. There, we built another COP on top of an old Russian Fort (good idea huh?) We lost our original ANA and were given 130 Afghan freedom fighters straight out of basic! I learned ALOT about combat, working with foreign nationals, and Afghan culture. The whole year was an Infantryman's (especially a 2LT) dream.

I also learned its easy to be a badass when things are easy; I hope I will NEVER again serve/work/study/fight in an environment where leadership accepts minimal standards!

I got home just before Christmas, partied for 3 weeks and now I'm slowly re-adjusting and getting back in shape! I just have to keep reminding myself it will not happen over night and thats pissing me off.
OEF X
Take the Tag Ab!
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

I also learned its easy to be a badass when things are easy; I hope I will NEVER again serve/work/study/fight in an environment where leadership accepts minimal standards!
Welcome to reality! When you go back to school, I trust you will at least sit back and enjoy -- rather than take it upon yourself to become a spring-butt.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
RANGER513
Ranger

Post by RANGER513 »

CitK09 wrote:Just returned from OEF. ETT RC-EAST (awesome!)

When I was at Benning for IBOLC in 2009, any boots sold at Commando's were OK at Pre-Ranger/Ranger School.

I was looking at the Benning website, and it looked like only basic issue boots were allowed (2011.) Now I'm hearing, via Commando's, CSM Smith has authorized all boots sold at Commando's, and they are re-designing the packing list to reflect it.

For 2011 are Rocky SV2s are ok, or do I need to get some Bellevilles? I need time to break those things in!

Thanks.

Never heard of " Commando's " but if they are trying to sell ya sum'en, then I have no doubt they said it was allowed ! Heck, maybe the have MRE's for sale because bringing extra chow to suck school is now allowed. :shock:

Why not just check directly with the source ? Lots of ways to accurately communicate these days with the guys working at Pre-Ranger and Ranger School.
C Co 2/75
1986 - 1992
RS Class 9-87

RLTW

" The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena............ "
Elguapo
Ranger

Post by Elguapo »

Benning's Infantry website has contact info under the RTB section you could call up.
USAR 04-05
TXARNG 05-Present

OEF 08-09
HOA '12

RS 5-10
WhiskeyRiver
Ranger

Post by WhiskeyRiver »

Yeah, there's all kinds of rumors floating around about boots, here at IBOLC. I know from talking to fellow LTs who went through that Rockys were authorized. HHC staff told us that basically, if they sell it at clothing sales, and/or it is in accordance with AR 670-1 regulations, they are good. Just remember, less than 200 grams Thinsulate for the cold weather boots.

The packing list was just recently updated, and they have pictures of authorized examples, including several models sold at Commando's (e.g., Rocky Boots).

UPDATE: I talked to the Clothing Sales manager, who talked personally (i.e., face to face) with the RTB commander - if you can buy it at clothing sales, it's approved. Gore-Tex boots are approved as winter boots. Clothing Sales no longer stocks the black leather gloves, they have green leather gloves instead - they are approved for Ranger School.
Ranger School 07-11
CitK09
Embryo

Post by CitK09 »

Thanks for the update!
OEF X
Take the Tag Ab!

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”