How long do you stay in Bn till Ranger school??

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
rangermatt

Post by rangermatt »

oldglory wrote:Listen up.. It may be hard to swallow but dont worry about that kind of shit. Just worry about 1 step at a time, ie passing basic training and doing the best you can.
That's a very good point. When you get sent to your squad, your number one task is to shut your mouth and show your Team Leader and Squad Leader that you're not a slug. The first thing that you are going to have to prove to them is that you are deserving to be there in the first place. The attrition rate for Privates in a ranger battalion is much higher than it is for ranger students in ranger school. In a lot of ways, life in a ranger batt as a private is much more difficult than life in ranger school. ranger school sucks, but in a different way. If you get to go there some day, you'll understand what I'm talking about.
Aco 1/75 85-89
Ranger class 8(&9!)-87
Scout Platoon Leader, etc. 1-12 Cav 1CD 94-99

Yes I know my name says "member"
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

rangermatt wrote:In a lot of ways, life in a ranger batt as a private is much more difficult than life in ranger school. ranger school sucks, but in a different way. If you get to go there some day, you'll understand what I'm talking about.
I would say that the largest difference is that in Ranger School, there is a target date that marks the end of the suckfest. With being in Bn, there is not target date that ends and it is different than suffering - it is more like the constant pressure to push no less than 100% effort at everything you do.
Joseph PrettyDeepWater
Ranger

Post by Joseph PrettyDeepWater »

Roger that Ranger Spartan and Ranger rangermatt, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks again for the help.

Ranger rangermatt wrote:
I saw a bunch of good guys get DX'd to legland for drinking too much on River Street and then going crazy and getting arrested, etc.
Do most Rangers go and drink on River street, or are there other things to do during that time frame?

~Joseph
Bell

Post by Bell »

Would you stop with the dumbass questions? Ya wanna drink and yer old enough you'll probably windup in a bar somewhere with your buds and get shitfaced and get in a fight. It happens.

You got a lot of shit to do first. Why don't ya figure out the maximum effective range of the M-16? Then go to all that other shit you're gonna be using and get to know it. When you're time comes you'll know what to do. But ya gotta be a soldier first.

RLTW
Bell
Joseph PrettyDeepWater
Ranger

Roger that Ranger Bell.

I did what you said Ranger Bell.
M-16A2 rifle- Maximum effective range of 800 meters (2,624 ft)
M4 and M4A1 Carbine/Assault Rifle- Maximum effective range of 360 meters ( 1,180ft )
Berreta 92F- Maximum effective range of 50 meters ( 164ft )
M249 Saw- Maximum effective range of 1000 meters ( 3,280ft )
M1911A1- Maximum effective range of 25 meters ( 82ft )

~Joseph
Bell

Post by Bell »

Fuck a duck. I'm impressed. You have that shit laying around or did that come off the top of your head?

Do ya get my point? You don't need to worry about next year. Worry about right now. Get in shape and learn. It's different for everyone. Your original question is a career decision. Maturity has a lot to do with it. Now fighting is condoned in the Battalion under certain conditions. Getting arrested is a nogo. You'll be shipped the next day. It's a decision that you have to make. Some guys get away with it. Some guys get DWI's and get shipped. Arrested for brawling and get shipped. Drunk and disorderly, gone.

Be a soldier and those decisions are easy. You don't have to get shitfaced when ya go drinking. I never did. I like being in control.

Now go find out about close order drill. Learn land navigation. Why don't ya learn morse code for the hell of it. There's a thousand things a soldier needs to learn. A great soldier will learn all of that plus another thousand.

What's a truck? Military term and it's not a vehicle. Not an assignment, but something to know.

RLTW
Bell
Joseph PrettyDeepWater
Ranger

Ranger Bell, I do get your point and what you said is good advice. I need to focus on one thing at a time. Right now that is getting in shape for the Army.

I'll go find out what the term "truck" means.

Thanks for the advice...

~Joseph
eltrane
Tadpole

Post by eltrane »

Regarding the truck, is it still said that there is a .45 round, a razor blade, and a match inside the truck?

Anyone ever heard that before?
RIP SSG Greg Gourley KIA Hawija 22 Feb 06

11b pig gunner 2/2 inf 84-86, TL 2/87 inf, 5/8 inf, 86-88
AngryPistols
US Army Veteran

Post by AngryPistols »

Roger that. I think it was a standard question for an soldier of the 'century' or E5 board. :lol:
Angry

USA 95B 84-87, TXARNG 91B 88-89, CIV 89-present

"Yet each man kills the thing he loves, some do it with a bitter look, some with a flattering word, the coward does it with a kiss, and the brave man with the sword. " -Oscar Wilde
eltrane
Tadpole

Post by eltrane »

I remember my E5 board, the soldier right before me was in there for about 2 minutes; it seems the CSM was looking at his dress greens and the pants were lighter than the jacket, (which occurs if you get the pants drycleaned more often than the jacket)

Forgive me if this doesn't match the thread topic, just a random memory.
RIP SSG Greg Gourley KIA Hawija 22 Feb 06

11b pig gunner 2/2 inf 84-86, TL 2/87 inf, 5/8 inf, 86-88

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”