How long do you stay in Bn till Ranger school??

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
Deadmeat

How long do you stay in Bn till Ranger school??

Post by Deadmeat »

I think this may have been talked about before, so forgive me if i missed it. Just wondering how long it is for those who pass Rip. A few people said from a couple months up to about 6. Thanks in advance guys.
Glock

Post by Glock »

You will stay in Batt. until your NCO feals you are ready to take on Ranger school. Could be 3 months could be 9 months. But you can't be promoted pass E-3 until you have completed Ranger school.
Last edited by Glock on January 20th, 2003, 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deadmeat

Post by Deadmeat »

Oh really?? Man that stinks i guess.... I'm already E-2(got someone else to join) I just have to take the physically fitnese test before i leave to get E-3. Anyway sounds good though. I was just hoping they don't rush you.

By the way where you hear this from?? One of your recruiters a ranger??
Glock

Post by Glock »

Deadmeat, word of advice. Do what I did, find every Ranger site on the net and read everything you can. It will help
Spartan

TIB until School

Post by Spartan »

Well, suffice it to say that those of us with experience in the Bns can't really speak that well as to the current state of affairs. When I was in, the quickest I ever saw anyone new to Bn leave for Ranger School (preranger - then Ranger School actually) was 5 months. Most go in a 6-10 month timeframe. Some, if they are not squared away, will not get the chance to go. Also, those in non-11 series MOS sometimes have to wait a bit longer. And, those in 3rd Batt sometime see themselves go through Pre-Ranger, then go to Ranger School 3 months later. In comparison, someone from 2nd Bn will go directly from Preranger to Ranger as the travel to Ft. Benning costs so much, they pretty much have to do it that way. Of course, 3/75 is already at Benning, so you can go anytime, providing the slots are there.

Now, the biggest thing going on now, for those who have not considered it, is the War on Terror. Some of the guys who are in now are saying, and understandably so I might add, that they'd rather go on a combat deployment than Ranger School. And, being that during the 3.2 years that many of you will spend in Bn (4 years discounted for training) you may see either just a couple, or perhaps as many as six combat deployments, depending on how things are going in the world, and how often the NCA decides to send Rangers downrange.

Food for thought.
oldglory

Post by oldglory »

Listen up.. It may be hard to swallow but dont worry about that kind of shit. Just worry about 1 step at a time, ie passing basic training and doing the best you can. keep your shit strait and dont get caught short.

The time it take a person to go through ranger school depends on a lot of stuff. Mainly (the only one YOU have control of) is how squared away you are. Listen to what your told by your leaders, I went in 6 months, but 3-4 months happned too ( as well as 1 year). It comes and goes in cycles as when i was getting out they had stopped sending many of those 3 monthers becuase they got kicked back alot.

By the way you can get promoted to e-4 in battalion without your tab, even promotion to e-5 if your a commo guy or a soft skill. You sure as hell wont get a rifle team, but some Gustav teamleaders and 240 are untabbed spec4's.
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

oldglory is right. Don't worry about that shit. There is no set time. I've seen real PT studs go quick, then get sent home because they couldn't hack it when it got tough (big difference between being a PT stud when you've got a full belly and planty of sleep, and being able to cut it in Mountains).

Plus, politics do play a part. When it was about time for me to go, the Army, in all its wisdom, decided that no more PFCs could go to school - you had to wait until you got your E-4 (because too many PFCs were washing out).

Long story short, by the time I went, I has 16 months in Bat. I had more time in Bat. than some import squad leaders, for God's sake. But, I was more than ready, and went straight through a winter class, which would have been tough to do if I was one of those 3 month guys.

All you need to worry about is what you have to do tomorrow, which is whatever you are told to do. Everything else will take care of itself.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
Joseph PrettyDeepWater
Ranger

Post by Joseph PrettyDeepWater »

Ranger Spartan wrote:
Now, the biggest thing going on now, for those who have not considered it, is the War on Terror. Some of the guys who are in now are saying, and understandably so I might add, that they'd rather go on a combat deployment than Ranger School. And, being that during the 3.2 years that many of you will spend in Bn (4 years discounted for training) you may see either just a couple, or perhaps as many as six combat deployments, depending on how things are going in the world, and how often the NCA decides to send Rangers downrange.
Ranger Spartan, im not really up on all the terms for the Army and I am a little confused on what you meant. Is there a different program called Combat Deployment? Also, it takes 4 years to be trained in a Ranger Bn?

Thanks for the help...

~Joseph
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

JosephPDW wrote:Ranger Spartan wrote:
Ranger Spartan, im not really up on all the terms for the Army and I am a little confused on what you meant. Is there a different program called Combat Deployment? Also, it takes 4 years to be trained in a Ranger Bn?
A combat deployment is when you go with your unit overseas to fight the enemy, conduct missions, etc... and return to the US. A Ranger is what a Ranger Indoctrination Program (RIP) Graduate is, upon assignment to thier respective Ranger Bn. You would need to complete Basic, AIT (One station Unit Training for most MOS) and the Basic Airborne Course prior to attending RIP. The RIP course itself is three weeks in duration.

What I was speaking about is that IF there was a choice, many of those assigned to Ranger Bns would opt to go be with their unit in combat instead of attending the Ranger School course.
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

JosephPDW wrote:Ranger Spartan wrote:

Thanks for the help...

~Joseph
He was reffering to Combat missions, the ones where they shoot back at you.

Training in the Ranger Batts is an ongoing process. It never ends.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Joseph PrettyDeepWater
Ranger

Post by Joseph PrettyDeepWater »

Thanks Ranger Spartan and Ranger Luna, it makes sense to me now...

~Joseph
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

Hemorrhage is a TOOL!!!!
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Horned Toad wrote:Hemorrhage is a TOOL!!!!
:lol:
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
rangermatt

Post by rangermatt »

If you kick ass and learn fast AND if everything works your way you can go in six months or so. If you learn a bit slower, have a bunch of guys in front of you for slots, get deployed, get injured, etc. it can take much longer. This is one of the few things in the military which is mostly up to you, though. Another thing you may want to keep in mind is to stay out of trouble once you get to your platoon. I saw a bunch of good guys get DX'd to legland for drinking too much on River Street and then going crazy and getting arrested, etc.
Aco 1/75 85-89
Ranger class 8(&9!)-87
Scout Platoon Leader, etc. 1-12 Cav 1CD 94-99

Yes I know my name says "member"

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”