Failed Land Nav

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
Ranger2

Post by Ranger2 »

All I know if I failed I would have been completely embarrassed. Yeah I know how land nav can jump up and get you but what is going to happen in the real world. Oh right you will have a GPS, I hope your batteries always work and your tank never gets destroyed.

I guess your slot was just a waste of money because you really don't sound like you really wanted it or care that you failed.

They should have sent someone who wanted to be there and wanted to pass.

Ranger2
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

Exactly! With a Tab or on a slab was more than just a saying to me. I played the catch me fuck me games for 16 months before I got my chance to go to school. If I wouldn't have found my points on the Nav course, I'd STILL be out there until I found them.

At 0900 on 16Jan96 (the day I left for Pre-Ranger), I made a vow to myself to either:

1. Have a Tab on my shoulder the next time I pulled into the A Co parking lot

or

2. Fucking die out in the woods trying.

Luckily, I didn't have to die to get it, but in my mind it was truly of life or death importance to me. Somehow, I don't think it was quite that important to F8. And when you get right down to it, F8, that's more than likely why you failed to meet the minimum standard. You might, and I stress might, have been ready physically, but you were not ready in your mind and in your heart. Everyone who has completed the course knows your body fails at some point, and your mind and heart is what gets you through, but if your mind and heart ain't there, you are finished.

I won't say that I was an awsome student in Ranger School. I certainly was not the honor grad. But, I did do well. I think I did well because I was constantly terrified of not doing well. The very thought of not getting my Tab, in my mind, was a fate worse than death, and there was no way on God's green earth that I was going to experience that.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
Mitch
Ranger

Post by Mitch »

Excellent post CD. I think you sumed up what a lot of us felt at least you did for me. As well as brought back some memories "If you ain't got a tab hit the slab." It could be a long ass ride back from Taylor's Creek sitting on rucksacks even though there was room on the benches "Damn as soon as I get my tab I can sit on the bench like a big boy. Maybe one day I can even sit in the back and spit copenhagen on the cars traveling on 95 like the cool kids do."
RHQ 94-96, HHC 1/75 96-00
RS 12-95
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Land Nav is near and dear to me, because I suck at it. I also have never failed a land nav course.

1. If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying-guess you didn't want it bad enough.

Myself, I would attempt to g-2 the shit out of the course prior to starting. I would also hump and in some cases run my ass off, cuz I knew I had time to make up.

Some courses I would come out 1-300 meters from the point and have to grid search for it....time consuming.....other courses I would plot how far the target was from a major road/landmark, and then run my ass to it and then vector in from there.

I offer this info not as an example of stellar soldiermanship...but just that if there is a will, there is a way.

Good luck if ya get another shot.

Oh yeah, the "harrassment" from the RI's on the RS students is indeed laughable if you come from Batt...especially during city week.
Ranger2

Post by Ranger2 »

I don't know how the rest of the army looks at Ranger school just how the 75th does.

I would have done anything not to have faced my Squad leader, PSG or 1SG if I had failed. I can't think of anything harder.

I recycled and sitting through recycle was hard but I knew going back without the Tab wasn't even a option. So I drove on.

I know Rangers who should have passed and didn't and some that shouldn't have who did. Yeah it sucked and at times I wanted to be some place else but the fear of facing your squad, platoon and company was far worse than sucking it up for a few more weeks.

At least you didn't quit.

Ranger2
Gravedigger
Ranger

Post by Gravedigger »

The 8 min per mile has been a standard for a long time. I totally agree with Ranger SS, we were always looking at our watches to stay on pace, we had mile and half mile markers to make sure we did, now the little half mile sprint in the end was just to separate the fall outs so there was no dought! :lol:
RI 4th RTB 85-88 [Darby]
9th ID scouts 82-85
4/9 Manchu 79-81 [Alaska]
RS 6-84 [ Fortune Favors The Bold]
SERE Instructor class 3-83
NWTC
Mentor to:
Deadbolt

RLTW

" The Fun Starts When the Pussies Fall Out"
Old Philly Guy
Ranger

Post by Old Philly Guy »

F8..an unfortunate lesson, but one that is better for you to learn now instead of when you are leading a platoon of M-1's. I'm sure you did not get a lot of dismounted land nav training at AR OBC, but now you know that is an area that you need to work on. Two things a young officer must be able to do..#1 - be able to use a map and compass. Getting your boys lost is the quickest way to lose respect from your platoon and your peers...#2 - be able to PT your nuts off..you may not be the platoon stud, but you dam well better be able to hang with them on any physical challange...the rest will fall into place if you keep your eyes and ears open.
1/23 later 1/503, 2ID
5/14 Inf, 25th ID
RS 11-86
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Hey Philly did you ever have a company ?
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Old Philly Guy
Ranger

Post by Old Philly Guy »

Unfortunatly no..I was on Bn Staff as a young CPT waiting for the next open command, when life threw me a curveball.
1/23 later 1/503, 2ID
5/14 Inf, 25th ID
RS 11-86
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Old Philly Guy wrote:F8..an unfortunate lesson, but one that is better for you to learn now instead of when you are leading a platoon of M-1's. I'm sure you did not get a lot of dismounted land nav training at AR OBC, but now you know that is an area that you need to work on. Two things a young officer must be able to do..#1 - be able to use a map and compass. Getting your boys lost is the quickest way to lose respect from your platoon and your peers...#2 - be able to PT your nuts off..you may not be the platoon stud, but you dam well better be able to hang with them on any physical challange...the rest will fall into place if you keep your eyes and ears open.
Cool I was impressed with your last statment. It obviously was made from good experiance.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

F8 has already been tossed.
He says that in retrospect next time he'll jog the course.
He was a waste of a slot that should have went to the hundred others that had to wait.
I'm glad this thread was bumped.
Zaknafien pay attention!
You realise how hard won your slot was so...how do you feel about this casual bastard wasting his?
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Old Philly Guy
Ranger

Post by Old Philly Guy »

Drive on stud..never quit..never get complacent..110% effort always.
1/23 later 1/503, 2ID
5/14 Inf, 25th ID
RS 11-86
UBOAT
Ranger

LAND NAVIGATION

Post by UBOAT »

LAND NAVIGATION IS A SKILL LEVEL 1 TASK!

COMPASS ALWAYS POINTS NORTH AND WHEN YOU COUNT ABOUT 70 LEFT FOOTS, ITS ABOUT 100 METERS!

TRY USING THE MAP, PACE COUNT AND THE COMPASS!
SERVED IN A CO 1ST RANGER BATTALION FROM 31MAR92 TO 20SEP01; 75TH PRE RANGER FROM 21SEP01 TO 20APR03. GRADUATED RANGER SCHOOL ON 13MAY94 CLASS 6-94.
4TH RTB 21APR03-30NOV05
82ND DEC05-PRESENT
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Re: LAND NAVIGATION

Post by centermass »

UBOAT wrote:LAND NAVIGATION IS A SKILL LEVEL 1 TASK!

COMPASS ALWAYS POINTS NORTH AND WHEN YOU COUNT ABOUT 70 LEFT FOOTS, ITS ABOUT 100 METERS!

TRY USING THE MAP, PACE COUNT AND THE COMPASS!
Yep.

When all else fails, FTFI (follow the fucking instructions) :wink:
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”