Ranger School and recycling

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
ABN509
US Army Veteran

Post by ABN509 »

Rangers, During my brief time with you guys so far I have noticed quite a sigs that list multiple RS classes. I am bored at work and just thought I would ask, is recycling phases the norm in Ranger school? I remember at my unit guys would go off to Ranger school and we wouldn't see them back for about 6 months. I dont recall any of them coming back untabbed, but I do recall some coming back and bitching about knots during the mountain phase. Anyway, I was just curious.
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

Slow learning, strong Rangers may decide to stay and reenforce lessons they should have already learned back home, or the first time for that phase.

Smart, squared away Rangers get accused of being lazy. Demonstrating proficiency took 72 days of school, plus 3 weeks of Pre-ranger, not 6 months.

That being said, a tab is a tab, and those who have one stayed as long as we needed to to get it. I respect the slow learners for sticking it out.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
fatboy
Ranger

Re: Ranger School and recycling

Post by fatboy »

We weren't slow learners, we just chose to stay with our Ranger buddies and make sure they were squared away on the next trip through. :lol:

Who an I shitting-there are smart Rangers and strong Rangers and I'm about as sharp as a marble :oops:
RS 07 and 08-01 (I took the long tour in Florida)

1-508 ABCT
1-327IN
101st Pathfinder DS1
Iraqi Freedom 03-04, 05-06, 07-08
roadtheshortbus
Ranger

Post by roadtheshortbus »

I wasn't lazy, I think the 3rd RIP class helped me be a first time go...

OK OK I'm Lazy :roll:
RLTW

"If you can't be smart, at least be quiet til you know who's in the fucking room" - Ranger Cams

B Co. 2/75 84-86 RS 1-86
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

I graduated on time because I went over my quota on aluminum cans and green glass....:)
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
boscounderfoot
Ranger

Post by boscounderfoot »

Recycling mountain phase for the blueberry pancakes is the only acceptable excuse. :lol:
LJ_602
Ranger

Post by LJ_602 »

Florida's French Toast kicks Mountains Blueberry Pancakes ass any day of the week, that's why I did the extended tour of Florida. That and the DFAC ladies had a crush on me.
USS George Washington 97-00
HC-2 SAR 00-01
C CO 2-505 PIR 82nd ABN current
Ranger Class 1-11
Wilson
Egg

Post by Wilson »

If you are a motivated soldier, will you always have the opportunity to recycle or do they send some straight home?
"A leader is a man who had the ability to get other people to do what they don't want to do, and like it."

- Harry S. Truman
LJ_602
Ranger

Post by LJ_602 »

Wilson wrote:If you are a motivated soldier, will you always have the opportunity to recycle or do they send some straight home?
Usually you can recycle a phase 2 times before you are a board case, granted you only failed patrols or peers. If you fail both your a board case and have to see a board that will evaluate your case.

After 2 times in a phase you might get a day one recycle, but I met a guy in Florida that had done it 3 times already and never got sent back to day one.

The current Brigade CSM, CSM Smith says he isn't sending any enlisted e-4 and above home, your ass is stuck in Ranger School untill you L.O.M. or get your tab. I was there druing RAP week getting recycled for running off the road duing the RPFT when 2 enlisted that failed the RPFT tried to quit and CSM Smith told them "too fucking bad, I'm not letting you quit." They pressed the issue and got a "Never To Return."
USS George Washington 97-00
HC-2 SAR 00-01
C CO 2-505 PIR 82nd ABN current
Ranger Class 1-11
Wilson
Egg

Post by Wilson »

10-4. thanks lj. i don't plan on recycling, but i damn sure don't wanna come home should the unexpected happen
"A leader is a man who had the ability to get other people to do what they don't want to do, and like it."

- Harry S. Truman
MarineRanger
Ranger

Post by MarineRanger »

panthersix wrote:I graduated on time because I went over my quota on aluminum cans and green glass....:)
I drink a LOT of beer when I'm on patrol.
USMC 77-81
STA 2/9 3rd
Fox 2/9 3rd
RS 8-80 (5-4)
LJ_602
Ranger

Post by LJ_602 »

ZoneIV wrote:
Wilson wrote:i don't plan on recycling
Ummm I don't think anyone ever does.
I didn't, 62 Days and I was gonna be back at my unit............yeah right