RS....Summer or Winter??

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
KMANinTX
Embryo

RS....Summer or Winter??

Post by KMANinTX »

Hello Rangers,

Got a question, just a "food for thought" type of thing to keep in the back of my mind.

"If" you had a choice to do RS in the Summer or Winter......what would you pick and why???

I've read alot of stuff on here that says RS sucks in the Winter, but I can think of a list of things that suck in the summer too. Btw, I grew up in MN, so the cold to me "might" not be the worst thing. My last duty station was on the South TX coast, so I know Summer heat/humidity can suck too.

Anyhow, thanks in advance.
KMAN
Texas ARNG
E Co, 1/143D (Airborne), 36ID
USN ET2 (SW/AW) 94'-02'
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Re: RS....Summer or Winter??

Post by K.Ingraham »

Take it as it comes. That's all.
Just like deployments. You can't pick the weather, just deal.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Dan B 3/75
Ranger

Post by Dan B 3/75 »

I can sweat and drink water like a champ.

I'm a hot/humid type of dude and fucking LOVE the heat.

You, being from way up north....probably not so much. Go with winter if you do have a choice. If not, prep for the heat if you can, as being a heat casualty is not conducive to graduation.
dbmtrman
Ranger

Post by dbmtrman »

Being from MN isn't going to make winter RS any easier. I'm from North Dakota, but had never been as cold as when I was sitting on an ambush line in West TX during the desert phase in February. It took about 3 years to get the feeling back in my toes. Also spend a night in a N. FL swamp, waist deep in water. Your body gets so broken down from lack of food and sleep that you have trouble regulating your body functions, and it gets cold. I'll take heat any day.
RLTW!
RS 4/85
B Co. 1/75 84-86, HAAF
HQ 11 SFG (USAR) 86-87

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

I would choose RS twice in the winter over once in the summer. Just the way I'm wired, I guess.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Either or... It doesn't matter. Just go at the first opportunity.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
fatboy
Ranger

Post by fatboy »

If you time it right (or recycle enough), you can do both winter and summer. Me personally, I was a summer Ranger but I thought I was going to die in florida in august. It was fookin brutal with the heat and humidity.
RS 07 and 08-01 (I took the long tour in Florida)

1-508 ABCT
1-327IN
101st Pathfinder DS1
Iraqi Freedom 03-04, 05-06, 07-08
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

PocketKings wrote:I would choose RS twice in the winter over once in the summer. Just the way I'm wired, I guess.
freak!

I'm a solar powered, beach raised, hot temp lovin' fool.

I was a summer Ranger and in Mountains it would rain about 5pm long enough to get us good and wet for sunset. it was maybe 65 at night. we all froze and spooned, and hated life. you will get broken down one way or the other.

and you will take the first (maybe only) shot you are given at it, if you want it.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Bek375
Ranger

RS....Summer or Winter??

Post by Bek375 »

I heard they don't make you wear your ruck anymore in the summer, they just truck them around for you...

I went through in the winter...some days it was cold as shit, but we didn't have to spend much time in the water in Florida.
3/75 C Co 05
3/75 HHC SNP 05-08
Class 04-06
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

I was a summer Ranger. That's just when I got to go, right after OCS and jump refresher.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
KMANinTX
Embryo

Post by KMANinTX »

Thanks for the replies.
Like I said, food for thought stuff. I'm pretty sure I will eventually go, but knowledge is power and just like to store little tidbits away here and there for future reference. There is a WEALTH of life knowledge on this site and it's where I spend hours a week researching things.
I grew up North, but have been in Texas since 96'. I work ALOT outside (minor construction/remodeling) and I have to say....I still haven't got used to the stifling summer heat. So if I had a choice....winter might be the way to go. Even as a kid in Boyscouts, we had to make shelter and camp outside in the winters....I know it's not the same, but growing up, we were always outside no matter how cold it was outside. And loved it.
I may not get a choice, but if for some reason I had a time frame to pick.... 8)
I know it will suck either way......I just can't wait to get the opportunity to test myself whenever that day comes knockin'.

Summer: HOT, HUMID, everything poisonous bites, possible allergies to shit I don't know about yet...hehe
Winter: Everything is DEAD, Cold

My wife: "why again are your doing this to yourself at 41?".......hehe....love her! She has NO idea....
KMAN
Texas ARNG
E Co, 1/143D (Airborne), 36ID
USN ET2 (SW/AW) 94'-02'

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”