GPS at Ranger School

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Re: GPS at Ranger School

Post by K.Ingraham »

When we next go to war with a developed nation-state, one of the first things we will lose will be the GPS.
The Chinese have been working the anti-satillite thing for years, successfully, and like the Russians, are placing their own hardened GPS systems into orbit. Even soon-to-be major powers like India have signifigant EW capability right now. Any nation thinking about an American threat is thinking about our Achille's heels and our growing reliance on poorly protected communications technologies is one such weakness.

(ZoneIV; the GPS is just a radio receiver, you lose comms, you lose your GPS. EMP, active EW etc all apply. )
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

Phantom wrote: Wait until we go to war in triple canopy jungle again. Everyone will be wondering why our Ranger qualified leaders can't find an objective or an LZ.
I'm in triple canopy jungle and we still have to use GPS because the good idea fairy reckons that if an 8 digit grid is good, then a 10 digit grid the cat's ass! It's annoying and just another example of how technology that was designed to enhance our capability has become the monkey on our back that now constricts it.

And I agree with .. Ranger school is not a PMT. It's a leadership school and should be viewed as such. I would not expect a brand new Ranger grad to show up at his first unit and be on the same sheet of music as everyone else. That's why units have SOP's and PMT. So they can train for the specific tasks assigned to them.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
Boudicca
Tadpole

Post by Boudicca »

ZoneIV wrote:Heck...someone asked in another forum where to buy Jump Boots near Fr. Lewis and that turned into a 6 page thread.
:mrgreen: Yeah, but it was funny!
To be loved is to be fortunate, but to be hated is to achieve distinction.
<2> Ranger Mom
RIP 10-08 & RS 10-09
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

JLTW!!! wrote:
Very well said Scott!
where is my love Justin?

note the date posted!!!!!!!! BTW Scotty, always knowed use a smirt mofo

Re: Video Shows Taliban Attack
by RRDTm3 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:37 am

rgrpuck wrote:
True I am thinking Ranger School would be the last place to figure out how to fight here.....good basics but that about it

I disagree. The premise of the Suck is to see if one can motivate others to accomplish certain tasks within a time line with much duress. The duress is or was lack of sleep, little food and a Ranger Instructor who knew his planning, WARNO, OPORD, rehearsals, back briefs, spot checks, PCC, PCI's and all aspects of patrolling. He used said knowledge to saturate those he graded as well as those around him. He understood different types of leadership techniques and applied said techniques varying on who he was grading. There are very few senior well developed RI’s out there these days and I blame the DA for that. Back in the day a Batt boy could learn his craft in Regiment take some time off at RTB then bounce back to Regiment. Come look who is in charge of the war, former Batt Boys right? DA stopped that shit so you lost your continuity.
If you can plan rehearse, move thru the woods, using no NODS, DAGGR, or GPS. Find OBJ and accomplish mission without getting ppl killed or compromised then move to and est a Patrol Base, conduct priorities of work, the entire time ensuring as a leader you are is 100% M, W, E. Everybody is taken care of and they even manage to get some sleep, for just one 24 hr period you have succeeded as a leader. You will have very good chance of making smart tactical decisions with the fate of others on your back.
Most lack the ability to accomplish this in 24 hrs while at the Suck so take those same NO-GO’s or those not seeking to challenge themselves and put them down range for a yr in charge of a Sqd or Platoon Company or a Staff guy who decides to place an outpost in the worst tactical location ever imagined.
I have seen more pathetically trained troops over the last 6 yrs within the National Guard than I ever dreamed of. I have also seen an ass load of dirt bags with a shitty skill set come to PRC. They either adapt or go home.
Now you ask what can I do to fix this?????????????
I am trying to establish a new school. It is called the Leadership Development Course. There will be no high speed equipment, no helo’s needed. It isn’t that gay ass light leaders shit either. It is all the things you needed to learn but was not taught at basic or at your unit etc………………………………. Very close to pulling it off however the one stumbling block I keep running into is, you guessed it. Money
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

JLTW!!! wrote:Ok Bubba, you get some love too. I read that a few days ago and didn't respond, until I saw Scott's post.

Suck up :lol:
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
Fishboy
Ranger

Post by Fishboy »

many good points made here on this post,
I am not sure how I feel about it.
take the GPS away in case if fails or the terrain doesn't allow it.
I have used it every day downrange for four rotations, and we have multiple backups.
Should we take away my rifle and vehicle (in training) in case they fail (in combat), of course we road march and practice hand to hand....
I honestly don't know which way it should go, I know how I feel about it (hell no! no GPS, get out the pine needle)
but I am not sure if that's because I am old...........
I agree that it is part of the leadership training, the stress and difficulties, of knowing your location, but these past few rotations, that has honestly been one of my least concerns.
However, I do enjoy, debating it.

On a seemingly unrelated topic,,,,,,
Ma'am,
Make him do RS the old fashioned way (evidently without the cope though.......... BS!!!)
If you want to get him a GPS for downrange. I suggest the Etrex (mentioned earlier, was issued one), or a Garmin Rhino (own one and have used the same one for four rotations)
WHEN IN DOUBT, SHOOT IT OUT!
Never let your fears stand in the way of your dreams.

RS 4-92
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

Bravo57 wrote:
JLTW!!! wrote:Ok Bubba, you get some love too. I read that a few days ago and didn't respond, until I saw Scott's post.

Suck up :lol:

you mean catcher!
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
another damn texan
Ranger

Post by another damn texan »

When I went to RS (1-95), I don't remember any real time for anyone to "learn" how to use a map and compass. I know that all of the batt boys knew how to do it before they got there. It was taught briefly before the land nav test but I believe that anyone that didn't show up with that skill probably had a hell of a time passing.

Some great posts here. I especially agree with you, ..
Bco 3/75 1993-1996
RS 1-95
Reiver
Ranger

Post by Reiver »

Land Navigation "can" serve as an interesting medium to analyze candidate's capability to operate in four dimensional space/time. Unfortunately, at the end of the day, they still must have "humped" the distance.

Intestinal Fortitude is still the MAJOR factor. P.S. other courses do not permit Navigation Dysfunction Aids.
V/R...Reiver sends

Course 5-78
B/2-75th INF, 1976-79
Ft Bragg, NC, 1981-2006

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”