NG Pre-Ranger (Benning)

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
Clutch
Soldier

NG Pre-Ranger (Benning)

Post by Clutch »

Rangers, I just finished attending Pre-Ranger here at Benning. For other Ranger hopefuls who either don't know or are too afraid to ask...take your ass Pre-Ranger if you're able. It was very demanding both physically and mentally. I was pushed far beyond my wildest dreams and damn it, I needed that kick in the ass.

Pre-Ranger, for me, was the best way for me to evaluate myself and truly know where I stand. I was able to identify my deficiencies. I took everything I learned seriously and executed all the tasks to the best of my ability. I was always highly motivated and did my best not to bitch. Everyone at some point had sand in their vagina – the difference was whether or not we cried about it.

I wasn’t the most tactically proficient wanker of the bunch, but I never used that as an excuse. I did my part: I followed when not in charge and did what I was taught when I was in charge. I always helped out when I could, never complained about a task given to me from my peers and I kept my fucking nose in the RH. In retrospect, I realized I wasn’t nearly as ready as I hoped. Not by a long shot. I failed the RPFT and came up shorter on the retake. I found myself 1 PU short, 1 minute too slow and 2 chin ups away. I no-go’d my patrol and I volunteered for the second one so I could continue to practice. Lastly, I barely “passed” my peer evals. My SQD was comprised of half being from the same LRS unit and with some squared away Ranger buddies. But, that’s no fucking excuse. I should have done better. I will do better.

On a good note, I had no issues with the CWST, I was 4/5 for each of the three days of land nav, I passed the 2-mile buddy run, can rock a WARNO/OPORD and I learned more in 2 weeks then I have in the past 2 years. I also found myself being pushed during the O course harder than ever before. While other SQD’s were “running in place” between obstacles, my SQD was executing fast and furious tactical movements. The O course became so much more. It was about being able to compose and maintain under physical and mental stress rather than can I climb a fucking wall and jog to the next. It was about being able to fight on tired, beat and broke down. I no longer had a fear of heights or a fear of not completing the tasks. All I cared about was: I NEED TO GET TO COMPLETE THIS OBSTACLE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE FOR THE SAKE OF THE RANGER ON THE OTHER SIDE. Kilted Heathen, that day made me realize that I can do anything and I have since wiped out that “doubt” from my mind. Sergeant, you brought a brand-new SQD “together” in a matter of minutes and we ended up actually being in the final SQDs together. Madness or method? :twisted:

Lessons learned: ALWAYS remain tactical. ALWAYS do your part and more. NEVER quit; no matter how bad you might think it is, it can be so much worse. Don’t bitch about little shit like no sleep and pulling FG. Suck it up and stay motivated.
Last edited by Clutch on February 28th, 2009, 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
panthersix
Ranger

Re: NG Pre-Ranger (Benning)

Post by panthersix »

The last time I heard a speech like that the guy quit on the first day......
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Clutch
Soldier

Post by Clutch »

Roger that.

Actually, had a guy quit on day 0. WTF?
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

I wasn't worried about quitting, I just didn't want to fail/get thrown out. When your Ranger Company Commander gets you out of jail and sends you to Ranger School to get your shit together or not come back...it's a motivator!
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Your self-analization is commendable, but don't overthink this. It's just another thing in life that you need to do......so just fuckin' do it!
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Clutch
Soldier

Post by Clutch »

Ranger Slowpoke: Roger that.
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Never knew we had a board member in the class.

Don't fucking be late on Sunday.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Kilted Heathen wrote:Never knew we had a board member in the class.

Well, Clutch, there you have it. If you really want to make it through Ranger School, you are being trained by the experts. I feel confident that if you earn a "Go" from the Heathen, you stand a very good chance at earning your tab. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Since you're on your week-end pass I can resort to being nicer to you. Enjoy your weekend, you've fucking earned it. Obviously something has sank in and that alone will make you a better asset to your unit, tab or not.

Of course...I'll still hunt you down if you quit or fail.

Best of luck.

Head up, back straight.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

Clutch wrote:Lessons learned: ALWAYS remain tactical.

Hey is that fat Free Fall guy still there?
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

Smells like success to me. Fly under the radar...
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
blueslover
Tadpole

Post by blueslover »

My son in Mtn Phase as I write. He had a few hours off after Benning before heading to Merrill. He said the tasks in Pre-ranger were actually harder than what was in the first phase, that is tactics etc., not the food/sleep deprivation part. so it seemed like good prep.
~~Ranger Dad~~

Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way.[
George Patton
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence,therefore, is not an act but a habit.
Aristotle
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack in will.
Vince Lombardi
LEROY
Ranger

Post by LEROY »

Jim wrote:

Well, Clutch, there you have it. If you really want to make it through Ranger School, you are being trained by the experts. I feel confident that if you earn a "Go" from the Heathen, you stand a very good chance at earning your tab. Never, never quit!
Nobody gets a "go" from KH. By the way, Pre-Ranger was harder than Darby.

"SNIPER!"
H Co 121st LRS 00-14
RS Class 07-09
ARNG-WTC Schools NCO

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”