Strength loss during Ranger School

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
Bell

Post by Bell »

Hey Creepin, how did they feed you guys in '96? We used to call the mountain phase, kick the can phase, cause we had C's back then. How big are those MRE's and how many did ya get.

I know for sure that whatever they gave ya wasn't enough. Man that winter Ranger shit sucked.

RLTW
Bell
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

The winter classes still got two meals per day. I don't know how they did with you guys, but they would not let us space out our meals. Meaning, once we opened one up, we had to eat the whole thing - we couldn't save part of it for later when our minds were fucking us.

I actually watched men eat the cardboard boxes that the meals came in, as well as their toilet paper - just to have something to put in their stomachs. I sure wanted to, but I wouldn't, cause I couldn't admit to myself that I was sucking that bad.

One thing with us, though, is we could not eat anything that didn't come in the MRE. Anyone that was caught eating a blackberry, worms, or anything like that was kicked out for consuming "unauthorized nutrients".
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
VEGA175

Post by VEGA175 »

I went in at 172lbs
I came out 125lbs
lost 20+ in Darby I was in the best shape I had ever been in at that time ,probably why I lost so fast. The funny thing is when I left I could pop the top button of a large dress shirt by flexing my neck when I got done my neck would have fit the cuff of the sleeve, my head was like a canteloupe on a toothpick
AtxCrybaby

Post by AtxCrybaby »

damn thats small..i wieghed in at 195 at 5'8
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

AtxSoldier wrote:damn thats small..i wieghed in at 195 at 5'8
Unless they've changed the specs, you won't be in a Ranger Bat with those dimensions. I was 5'8", 165 and was told I was too heavy, according to the Army chart. But then, that was back when we were still shooting muskets.
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

EarthPig2/75 wrote: But then, that was back when we were still shooting muskets.
What did you use for indirect fire back then, EP?
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Big rocks...and occasionally, a real big fookin' rock.
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
AirborneFox
Ranger

Recent Grad

Post by AirborneFox »

I recently graduated Ranger School (11 July 2003). As far as what my recover has been like all I can say is it's been weird.

Strength. I've lost alot off of my pushup ability. Something I am still working on.

Feet. My feet were completely covered in calluses. I couldn't feel my feet after about midway through mountains. I got feelign back a few weeks after I graduated. Although I still can't feel my little pinky toe and there is no toenail on it anymore. Where it went I'm not sure.

Running: oddly enough not running for 2 months didn't really have that big of an effect on me. But my knees bothered me for about a month.

Sleeping: Now this is where I was screwed up... some nights I wouldn't sleep at all... at other times I would sleep 13 hours a night... my sleep cycle is still screwed up... that's the one thing that hasn't gone back to normal yet. I used to sleep no more than 5 hours a night.. now I can't get enough..

Food: I'm a big dude and lost alot of weight in Mountains. I was probably around 190 after Mountains. I started Ranger at 225. Once we got back from the FTX in florida i went crazy in the Gator bar eating Digiorno's pizza. Full size ones.. I would just gorge myself and make myself sick because I wasn't used to eating so much... once I graduated and got back to normal foods I didn't really go too crazy.. I tried to eat healthy and not turn into a chipmunk but I could notice my cheeks were a little puffy. I still have a hard time going into a gas station and not buying like 3 candy bars and various other junk food. I craved EL Fudge cookies and peanut butter. Still do.

So that is where I stand 2 months to the day after graduating..
Fox

"The harder I work the luckier I get."

Ranger Class 7-03
Rifle Platoon Leader, C Co 3/504th PIR, 82nd Airborne Division (Iraq)
Mortar Platoon Leader, HHC 3/504 PIR, 82nd Airborne Division
Boattail173
Ranger

Post by Boattail173 »

Fox...being that this is a public forum you should not post your name. All ways think OPSEC 82nd
Bell

Post by Bell »

Boattail, I ain't ever been bashful. I post my name, address, phone number.

Friends and foes alike are welcome. I like fucking and fighting. Friends get a beer as soon as they show up. Enemies get a beer after the fight.

Ron Bell
1127 S. Elgin Avenue
Tulsa, OK 74429

Bring it on. Life's too short to hide out all the time. Where's the excitement in that? And if anyone can do something with that name they'll be sorry mofos. I have enough trouble with it. hahahahha

RLTW
Bell
Last edited by Bell on September 11th, 2003, 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boattail173
Ranger

Post by Boattail173 »

I have no doubt Bell...however I dont think it is wise for anyone on active duty to post names, addresses, or phone numbers.
Bell

Post by Bell »

Who said I fight fair. Get em out in the open so we can take em down.

RLTW
Bell

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”