Changes

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
GoardHeart
Ranger

Changes

Post by GoardHeart »

I took another APFT with HHC 2-11 this morning just to make sure that I am ready.... again. Which was a little annoying but whatever.

4th RTB has made some changes to a couple of the RAP week events. First there is no more 5 mile run in formation. When you take the APFT you do PU, SU, pull-ups and then run 5 miles on your own and as long as you come in under 40 minutes you are a go. ( I ran a 33 flat this morning) The standards for the PU, SU, and pull-ups are the same, 49, 56 ( I believe) and 6.

They have also made some changes to the CWST, you don't do it anymore. They have taken a small portion of it and added it to the water confidence course. Before you do any part of the water confidence course you don an LCE and a weapon. They push you into the water and you have to ditch the equipment and swim 15 meters, you no longer have to stay submerged as long as you ditch the equipment and swim the 15 meters you are a 'go'. You then move to the other events of the confidence course.

I think it is to the advantage of some of the weak swimmers and some of the weaker runners as they don't have to run as much and everyone can run at their own pace. Any thoughts?
RS 05-07
1st ID 1-26 IN 9/07-09/09
3d U.S. Inf Regt 10/09-Present

OEF IX - Korengal Valley
Invictus
Ranger

Re: Changes

Post by Invictus »

GoardHeart wrote:I took another APFT with HHC 2-11 this morning just to make sure that I am ready.... again. Which was a little annoying but whatever.

4th RTB has made some changes to a couple of the RAP week events. First there is no more 5 mile run in formation. When you take the APFT you do PU, SU, pull-ups and then run 5 miles on your own and as long as you come in under 40 minutes you are a go. ( I ran a 33 flat this morning) The standards for the PU, SU, and pull-ups are the same, 49, 56 ( I believe) and 6.

They have also made some changes to the CWST, you don't do it anymore. They have taken a small portion of it and added it to the water confidence course. Before you do any part of the water confidence course you don an LCE and a weapon. They push you into the water and you have to ditch the equipment and swim 15 meters, you no longer have to stay submerged as long as you ditch the equipment and swim the 15 meters you are a 'go'. You then move to the other events of the confidence course.

I think it is to the advantage of some of the weak swimmers and some of the weaker runners as they don't have to run as much and everyone can run at their own pace. Any thoughts?
I agree. Just who I want to see the standards changed to benefit...the weak.

So much for: "Not for the weak or faint-hearted" :?

The CWST was implemented for a reason. It does occasionally come in handy in Florida.
GoardHeart
Ranger

Re: Changes

Post by GoardHeart »

Invictus wrote:
The CWST was implemented for a reason. It does occasionally come in handy in Florida.
I can imagine. In IOBC We did all the events the old way. During MOUT week we did the 5 miler and the 2.5 mile buddy run, we had done the CWST at the beggining of the course and we took two APFT's. But since they changed the standards out at 4th RTB we have to do all that crap again this week before we start on 05NOV just to make sure everyone going can pass the new standards.
RS 05-07

OEF IX - Korengal Valley
fireforeffect_k
US Army

Post by fireforeffect_k »

Where are you getting your information from? I spoke directly with someone who is in class 01-07 and he didn't mention any of these changes.

If this is true the run sounds much easier, because now you are running 5 miles while you are fresh, instead of a day after an APFT.

No CWST? Every time I have ever done CWST I had a blast...
GoardHeart
Ranger

Post by GoardHeart »

I got my information from the HHC Commander at 2-11 and the Commander of 2-11 and the Command Sergeant Major at 2-11. Class 03-07, the class that starts on 05NOV is the pilot class for the new changes. There was talk of the changes during my IOBC class but we didn't know if it would actually happen.
RS 05-07

OEF IX - Korengal Valley
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

So what you are saying, is that no one can give me shit for saying

“Back when it was hardâ€
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
GoardHeart
Ranger

Post by GoardHeart »

Roger that Ranger Horned Toad, that phrase would definately seem to apply now.
RS 05-07

OEF IX - Korengal Valley
RGRJim
Ranger

Post by RGRJim »

The changes make sense as a time saving measure less stuff for 4th RTB RIs to deal with, but WTF. Part of the beauty of the school is doing alot of things under time duress and while fatigued.

I remember last year doing my APFT and then having 15 minutes to change into my BDUs out in the parking lot and get in a bus to main post for CWST...got smoked at CWST then 10 minutes to change into a dry pair of BDUs and back on the bus back to Camp Rogers for more "games".

I don't think this makes the school easier or harder. I can see it benefitting weak swimmers some, but thats all as far as standards go.

For the run, well its always been you can either run 5 miles in 40 or you can't, not doing it in formation doesn't change much other than the lack of cadence singing. For some reason people can't do it when running long distance(never had the problem myself).

-J
NYARNG 05-Present
RS 03-06
TxBowhunter
Tadpole

Post by TxBowhunter »

I have always felt it was easier to run in a block calling cadence. I guess it's the distraction factor.
BCT, OCS, IBOLC '04-'06
1/112th CAV (RSTA) '06-

"Many may serve, few will lead"
PurduePara203
Ranger

Post by PurduePara203 »

Desert Sloth wrote:That run, on that day, was one of biggest smokers, it was nothing but a friggen accordian the entire time.....
Amen to that. Luckily my short ass was near the front. Speaking of five milers, I heard Airborne school did away with theirs as well as pull-ups. What gives with all this pussification?
"In a world of compromise, some don't"

HHC 1-323rd 2001-2002 (USAR)
151st INF Det. (LRS) (ABN), 38th ID, IN National Guard 2003-present, currently Sniper section assistant team leader
Ranger Class 07-06

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”