Success Rate of Officers about the same as Battalion Boys?

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
m-14.762
US Army Veteran

Success Rate of Officers about the same as Battalion Boys?

Post by m-14.762 »

I do not know if this is true but I was told that roughly there success rates are comparable?

I would think that living sleeping and surviving in Battalion would prepare one for RS way more than a 2LT right out of IOBC?

thanks
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

I would think that living sleeping and surviving in Battalion would prepare one for RS way more than a 2LT right out of IOBC?
Absolutely not.

Education (as in college) is what is needed to get through.

Just think, take for example......quantum physics during the Darby Queen in the Benning Phase.

Trying to figure out exactly how to apply Pythagorean's Theorem or Bernoulli's Principle when negotiating each obstacle.........

The officer is going to have all the Bn studs whipped, hands down.

And the auxilary field 6 spelling bee at Rudder?

No fucking contest. Not even close.

So there you have it.

I hope that answered your question.

Next.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

I was gona say if you have a squad that's full of Os with one or two enlisted or bat boys who do you think gets peered or vice versa
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
ShortStackAO
Ranger

Post by ShortStackAO »

Speaking of O's at Ranger School. Does anyone have the stats on how the all Officer class (plus recycles) did? They should have just graduated if my math is correct...
1/1 ARB, 1st ID 09-Present
1/503rd INF (ABN) 06-09
Class 03-06

RIP - 1LT Ben Hall - KIA 31 July 2007
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

ShortStackAO wrote:Speaking of O's at Ranger School. Does anyone have the stats on how the all Officer class (plus recycles) did? They should have just graduated if my math is correct...

The horror!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
ShortStackAO
Ranger

Post by ShortStackAO »

Wouldn't surprise me! If I was an RI, I'd NO-GO every last one of them for making me walk another class :twisted: :lol:
1/503rd INF (ABN) 06-09
Class 03-06

Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

When I went through, prior to Battalions, the class was pretty much all 2lts and Sgts. We had a few Squids and some Marines, a couple RA Captains. My recollection is that about half of every group didn't finish with the Tab. My guess today, would be that a Batt Boy would much better prepared and stand a better chance of getting the Tab than an officer right out of IOBC. But I'm sure there's someone here who knows the stats.

And this all officer class thing bothers me. I don't know for sure, but I remember some talk about ring knockers pretty much going through as entire classes. One of the main values of Ranger School to me was that there was no rank. Everyone was a mullet. And for some reason, I can't recall peer ratings.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
ShortStackAO
Ranger

Post by ShortStackAO »

Ranger Bill wrote: One of the main values of Ranger School to me was that there was no rank. Everyone was a mullet. And for some reason, I can't recall peer ratings.
I definitely agree! I gained a whole new respect for the professionalism and dedication of the lower enlisted guys and the knowledge of the E-5's+6's. I wouldn't want it any other way. Plus, it was nice for a chance to kick back and joke around w/ "Joe"
1/503rd INF (ABN) 06-09
Class 03-06

Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

When I went through....

Seemed that most officers made friends with batt boys fast. Except for a few that were very proud and did well anyway.

My class in the "batt boy" section was all PFC one PV2 and a few SPC.
we had a few SSG/SGT from the 82nd too.

Yeah we studs pulled most of the weight... :roll:
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
RGRJim
Ranger

Post by RGRJim »

The only officer stat that I know for a fact is that of all O's that start Ranger, only 30% make it straight through without recycling at least once. Colonel Chinn used to tell us that one alot and it was proved true with my Ranger class.

Most IOBC O's I know ended up graduating, eventually. My IOBC Platoon sent about 25 to Ranger and 22 graduated as of this date, but a couple were there for 5-6 months. Only 8 of those 25 made it straight through.

J
NYARNG 05-Present
RS 03-06
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

RGRJim wrote:The only officer stat that I know for a fact is that of all O's that start Ranger, only 30% make it straight through without recycling at least once. J
That's pitiful performance. Does anyone know the success rate of Batt Boys?
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
RGRJim
Ranger

Post by RGRJim »

In my class, the Batt boys recycled at the same % as IOBC Officers.

I don't know how it was in the past, I can only speak of the two classes I was apart of, 02-06 & 03-06. But there were just as many Batt Boys that recycled as us, they had about 30% first time go rate too. Also, the RIs seemed to give them more shit and didn't mind recycling them as much cause they knew they would gut it out no matter what.

I had 16 people in my Benning sqd. Five of them were from Batt, only 2 went on to Mountains. Of those two, one of them recycled Florida. So 1 out of 5 made it straight through and I know it was the same in other Sqds.

Also, in my class, it was obvious that there was a little bit more leeway given to Officers, especially since the IOBC LTO office was backed up and 300+ 2LTs were waiting for School slots.
NYARNG 05-Present
RS 03-06
Infantry44
Ranger

Post by Infantry44 »

ShortStackAO wrote:Speaking of O's at Ranger School. Does anyone have the stats on how the all Officer class (plus recycles) did? They should have just graduated if my math is correct...
The "2LT Class," which started at the end of March, was comprised of approximately 170 with about 40-50 going straight through. Darby was the worst phase for the lot, with roughly 60-70 recycling. I was not in this class, but a good friend of mine provided me with those estimates based on what the various RTBs told him at the end of each phase.
#06-06
OIF 06-08 (PL, 10th MTN)
OIF VII / OND (XO, 5th GRP)
JORSOF EV11 (TL, 5th GRP)
Draco
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Draco »

And this all officer class thing bothers me. I don't know for sure, but I remember some talk about ring knockers pretty much going through as entire classes. One of the main values of Ranger School to me was that there was no rank. Everyone was a mullet. And for some reason, I can't recall peer ratings.
I know the feeling....I ran into the WPPA in Florida from a bunch of ring knockers that were recycled. I had made it straight thru after IOBC with some peer ratings something like 95, 92, 94, then 56 in Florida. (Or something along those lines...) The RIs fucked with me saying I was gonna be recycled, then called me back in about 2 hours later saying they knew the deal. Bottom line is I made it straight thru as a 2LT, so it is doable. :wink:

I don't know the total percentages, but I will say that Batt boys in the other platoons were PISSED when they saw I almost got peered. /bless em. Also, if I remember, the Batt boys did really well in my class...over 60% if I recall right.

I dont know WTF was up with Charlie Company in Desert Phase, but they only had about a platoon pass. :shock:
1/10th SFG(A) Bad Toelz, FRG 85-88
Co. G/143rd INF (LRRS) 89-91
Rgr Class 6-92
Jack of all trades 92-present

"Hope and pray that you'll never need me,
But rest assured I will not let you down.
I'll walk beside you but you may not see me,
The strongest among you may not wear a crown." 3DD

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”