Foreign Students

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
CavTroop
Tadpole

Foreign Students

Post by CavTroop »

Horned Toad made a comment in the Humor section that got me to thinking. Everybody knows that most foreign students get a pass at RS no matter what. As long as they don't quit, they get their tab. I was told back in '84 that this was because one was failed by the RIs a couple of years earlier, and when he went back to his country (Saudi Arabia?) they beheaded him!
My question: Anybody in a position to know if this is myth or fact?

CT Out
107TH Armd Cav OHARNG 1979-1989
"Facere Non Dicere"
Deeds Not Words
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Heard the same. Don't know if it's true or an urban legend. Same holds true for the Q course, from my understanding.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Had a dumb fucking Nigerian in my class......

"survival" training day......fucker hits the rabbitt in the back of the head, but not hard enough to kill it....rabbitt is screaming the worst baby scream you have ever heard, while dumb ass stands there holding it.....

we are all yelling at him to hit it again, finally somebody takes the rabbitt from him and finishes it off...... :roll:

Should have cooked his dumbass that day too.....shit, I was hungry enough to eat it!
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

The story I heard about why the State Department always passes foreign students is that sometime in the early 70 some officers came over from Africa. I think the country was Uganda. They went to Ft Sill for artillery school. All they did was grab ass around and chase women so the base commander sent them home. Ruler of the country met them at the airport and shot them in the head. Had them laid out and had a trophy shot taken. He sent the photo and a letter of apology to the base commander of Ft. Sill.
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
RangerLink
Ranger

Post by RangerLink »

I guess they should've paid more attention to that Red Leg shit.

When I went to the Infantry Officers Advance Course in 1997 we had a Russian, a Turk and a Greek. The Russian was a LTC and was pretty much a dumb ass. He was all about messing with the other foreign students; we told him to pound sand when he tried it with us. The Greek and the Turk tried hard but there was a significant language barrier. If they didn't meet the graduation requirements, they got a certificate of attendance.

The only foreign students in my Ranger class were a couple of Marines and one Air force guy! That dude was definetly a foreigner ! :lol:
PL & Asst S-3, 2-87IN
10th MTN DIV (LI) 1995 to 1997

S-4, S-3Air & Alpha Company Cdr, 2-7CAV
1st CAV DIV 1998-2000

Currently S-3/1-141IN, TXANG

Ranger Class 1-97

"It ain't hard to be an officer, but it's damn hard to a good officer." Unknown Chief Petty Officer

"LET NO MAN'S SOUL CRY OUT 'HAD I PROPER TRAINING!" Unknown
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

certiorari wrote:Tough..... tough but fair.
I think in this case, Cert, if you get an option 40 contract and don't make it through RIP, we'll send an ArmyRanger.com rep over to the Columbus, GA airport for when you are scheduled to depart for your worldwide assignment.

What was it you said? Tough..... tough but fair.
Spartan

Re: Foreign students can't fail

Post by Spartan »

Catfish wrote:So what you're telling me is that I could have slept and ate, and screwed my buddies, while coasting through Ranger school. I gotta say, I didn't for a frickin moment think I was getting any special treatment as a foriegn student - maybe the RI's are that good at keeping you guessing on your GO/NOGO. I heard that story while on course - about some foreign country beheading their nogo/dropout - and I figured yeah, it could be possible, there's some crazy fricken countries out there, but as a Canuck, I didn't think those behind the scenes diplomatic wink-winks were applicable to us... I gotta say, I did notice that I was the only foreign student not from a third world country, and I wondered why the Brits or Aussies don't send guys on the course - probably because they have there own schools that get the same end result as Ranger school, although as a Ranger I'm not going to say they really do. I just gotta hear that I earned my tab the same as any other guy on the course, and not some bullshit that I was pushed thru - if so, then I gotta say that there's definitely some Yanks that were fricken lucky that I was there to get them their GO.
Catfish
RLTW
Points well taken. I think this mainly applies to nations in Africa and the Middle East.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

I was just wondering if any of you knew the ages of the two oldest men that went through RS and passed legimately? And the years they went through?
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

Catfish, I don’t know maybe you could have taken easy street, I wouldn’t recommend it and it sounds like you didn’t. I just know what I was told by my Sergeant and other with way more time than me. I can guarantee if I ran the Sate Department that would not be the case, we would not be wasting school slots on non-hackers. Hopefully they treated you just like everyone else and you got the real deal.
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

CSMA Morrell was one, I believe, unless some older guys have gone through since.
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Morrell was one of the older ones before he became the 1st Batt CSM's, course he came from SF so he wasnt anyones cherry.
As for the Foriegn Student. Idi Amine (sp) was the President for Life in Uganda and his country was persona non grata, thus, dont think we had any of them running around at the time. I heard those stories in the 70's but it was mixed between Saudi and Israel. Since Saudi didnt really have a Defence Force (bunch of desert nomads on camels) until later 70's, that story didnt hold. The Israeli story got SOME confirmation in later years when I asked an Israeli Commando if this was true. He said it was and in fact, said the Commander who shot him was later punished. MOstly because he did it in front of witnesses. Heard one other that it was an Iranian which could be very true. We were VERY tight with their Military complex before the fall of Pilavi (Shah) and they did send their soldiers to Ranger School. Some of these guys were pretty good and their internal disapline platform was pretty brutal.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”