Branched Infantry, How do I prepare 4 Ranger School

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

The Holmchicken wrote:
K.Ingraham wrote:
The Holmchicken wrote:You were NG Infantry right? That's the same as Active pac clerk. Just as demanding.
Yeah, the 5 INFANTRYMEN from near my hometown here, 28th INFANTRY Div, PA NG, who just died in their Bradley from an IED died in that special, kinder & gentler war they set aside for weekend warriors only.
We've only lost one war. That was the one set aside for the professionals, where the NG was specifically not invited.
Whoa, it was just some ball busting. Sorry for their loss. If my qoute offended you, I'm sorry. But it doesn't change what I wrote.
Point taken & understood, but what you wrote is still wrong.
Comparing combat arms soldiers who are meeting and engaging our enemies since before this nation existed with ofice clerks is ignorant.
The RC troops from the USAR, NG & USMCR are doing the same job as the paratroops & regulars in the same wars. They are doing it with 10% the training time & 110% of the admin burden & with 60-80% of the equipment, & with equipment often generations behind the RA troops.
That they often don't perform to airborne, much less ranger standard isn't surprising, but then, many, if not most NG units perform to the same standards as their RA counterparts in spite of the hinderances. Hinderances often provided by the Army the RC/NG is a part of (I've been on both sides of this fence).
We can go back & forth with antidotes, such as during the Desert Storm mobilisation where the Mississippi NG tankers outshot every III Corps armored or cav unit, but the Corps commander still refused to allow them further access to training areas or resources, much less let them deploy as part of the Corps to which they were capstoned.
I saw an Ill NG infantry company do pretty damn well as opfor to a Ranger Bn in the 1997 SOF JRTC rotation - maybe even outfought them - I sure didn't want to acknowledge that, but when the rotation was complete, those weekenders from Ill were pretty proud of how they performed & with good reason.
Yep, we could go back & forth with the antidotes & both be telling the truth, but overall, the vast majority of the slag directed at the RC is simply that: slag.

What we do isn't rocket science & can be, and is done just as well by reservists when the time comes. That they usually can't perform to RA standards as units on Day 1 is simply the nature of the beast. But properly resourced with minimal time allowed, and without getting the rug pulled from them as happened in 1990/91 and often today, the NG soldier will fight as well as anyone.
Within our own community, compare the combat record of D-151 with that of any of the other LRRP/Ranger companies of the Vietnam War. It'll speak for itself. But then, in their 4 months train up, no one tried to create a self fulfilling prophacy of failure.
250+ years of American military history has proven beyond all doubt that our RC soldiers fight and win.
The Marine reserve battalion that just returned home to Cleveland by way of Fallujah etc and the GA NG 48th Bde (still in Iraq) are two examples to shut the book on that "can't do what we do" bias.

As our neighboring volunteer firefighters kept telling us career FFs:
"The Ark was built by an amateur; the Titanic by professionals".
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
H75thRangers
Ranger

Post by H75thRangers »

During their time in Vietnam, D Co (Ranger) 151st Infantry performed the same functions and duties in the same professional manner and discipline as their "unconventional" Regular Army LRRP/Ranger brethren did. :evil: :evil: :evil:
H Co(Rgr) 75th Inf(Abn) 1st Cav RVN 9/69-5/72
3d Bde (Abn) 101st Abn Div Ft Campbell '72-'74
CENTAG, Seckenheim, Germany '74-'77

If you kill for pleasure, you're a sadist...
If you kill for money, you're a mercenary...
If you kill for both, you're a RANGER!!!
archangelranger
Ranger

Post by archangelranger »

You can't have an infantry command unless you have a Ranger Tab?

Bullshit.

GEN Dan K. McNeill, FORSCOM Commanding General, has commanded Airborne troops at company, battalion, brigade, division, and corps level. He does not have a Ranger Tab. I saw many platoon leaders at the 82d Airplane Gang who were not tabbed. I was tabbed, but the other two PLs in my company were not. One of my two battalion commanders in the 82d was not tabbed. One of my three brigade commanders was not tabbed.
Now, that being said, the Ranger Tab helps ALOT. It is a bit of instant credibility, the he-is-an-idiot-but-at-least-he's-not-a-complete-pussy badge. It doesn't win the race for you, but it gets you in the pole position.

After company level, the tab loses it's career impacting significance in the officer ranks. In the mech world, it is almost meaningless after the rank of captain because you are all staff bitches anyway.

Lots of tabbers get passed over for promotion, lots of tabless guys get promoted. Whether or not you are tabbed is simply not taken into consideration on officer promotion boards because they are Army wide boards. We can't unfairly discriminate against the chicks, now can we?

RLTW
2/325 AIR 86-89
XVIII Abn Corps 89-92
ODF 1992-2002
Back on the job where I belong 2002-present
Ranger Class 11-87
Jumpmaster Class 4-89
Desert Storm 1990-1991
OIF 07-09 (2-1-1 CDO SPTT, Oct-Nov 2006)
Back from Camp Cupcake, Kuwait, drawing fire in Atlantastan
GoardHeart
Ranger

Post by GoardHeart »

Maybe you should worry about IOBC first. There were 6 guys that "score 280" who failed the fucking APFT and recycled in the first week. Not that IOBC is super tough but don't assume that it's going to be a cake walk. While it is not as physically challenging as Ranger School, you do have to use your brain a lot. A lot of classroom work, learing doctrine and tactics from a stack of books from the ground up to the middle of your thigh. Things that Cherry LT's who don't know shit need to know before they get to Ranger School. I don't know personally but our PLT trainer told us that he was prior service OCS and that the things that he learned as an NCO helped, but were different from what he learned in IOBC. Besides your main fucking focus in life right now should be to concentrate on leading your soldiers in combat once you finish in TRADOC. Ranger School is just a bonus along the way. :twisted:
RS 05-07
1st ID 1-26 IN 9/07-09/09
3d U.S. Inf Regt 10/09-Present

OEF IX - Korengal Valley
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

Maybe you should worry about IOBC first. There were 6 guys that "score 280" who failed the fucking APFT and recycled in the first week. Not that IOBC is super tough but don't assume that it's going to be a cake walk. While it is not as physically challenging as Ranger School, you do have to use your brain a lot. A lot of classroom work, learing doctrine and tactics from a stack of books from the ground up to the middle of your thigh. Things that Cherry LT's who don't know shit need to know before they get to Ranger School. I don't know personally but our PLT trainer told us that he was prior service OCS and that the things that he learned as an NCO helped, but were different from what he learned in IOBC. Besides your main fucking focus in life right now should be to concentrate on leading your soldiers in combat once you finish in TRADOC. Ranger School is just a bonus along the way.
You seem to be a well-spring of knowledge for a butterbar. Just curious, what class did you graduate with?
GoardHeart
Ranger

Post by GoardHeart »

Ranger Invictus, I'm currently in IOBC class 02-06 haven't graduated yet. Maybe I should have pointed out that I am a cherry LT as well and don't know shit, but right now my priorities are trying to get as much as I can from the instruction at IOBC and prepare for Ranger School in my own time. I was just trying to make a point to not assume anything because like I said there are 6 of my peers that assumed they would be finsihing with class 02-06 and it looks like they're not.
RS 05-07

OEF IX - Korengal Valley
GoardHeart
Ranger

Post by GoardHeart »

Just to put it out there.

I'm new to the Big Green Machine.
I don't know shit.
My only experience is BOLC II.
I'm here for advice and to learn from the experience of others.
I am however, a very hard worker and take my future job very seriously and try everyday to live with integrity, honor, and humility.

Basically I'm going to keep my yap shut for a while, and let Ranger Grumble and Grunt handle the bashing of Cherry's like me who step out of line. :wink:
RS 05-07

OEF IX - Korengal Valley
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

Just to put it out there.

I don't know shit.
At least you're trainable Sir. That alone separates you from the herd.

Take that for what it's worth.
m-14.762
US Army Veteran

Post by m-14.762 »

GoardHeart wrote:Just to put it out there.

I don't know shit.
My only experience is BOLC II.
I'm here for advice and to learn from the experience of others.
I am however, a very hard worker and take my future job very seriously and try everyday to live with integrity, honor, and humility.

:wink:
How did you like BOLC II, I am kinda dissapointed that they cut IOBC only to replace part of it with BOLC II

Friends have told me that they experienced a lot of down time :?: but that was at SILL, hopefully benning will be better.
GoardHeart
Ranger

Post by GoardHeart »

Benning was the same. Lots of down time. Your experience will depend on what company you are in and your PLT cadre.
RS 05-07

OEF IX - Korengal Valley
m-14.762
US Army Veteran

Post by m-14.762 »

GoardHeart wrote:Benning was the same. Lots of down time. Your experience will depend on what company you are in and your PLT cadre.
So what do some of the guys do to keep busy just PT if you are cut lose early, or read FM's??
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

Fuck no. Most of us didn't have the tools to be pre-informed as to what to expect. So, when we were told to run .... we ran. When we were told to push .... we pushed. When we were told to shut the fuck up ....... we shut the fuck up. And when they let us off, we did what all good Rangers do, we went and drank a lot of fucking beer, got shit faced, paid some cunt to rub her titties in our faces, and went back home and force hydrated in preperation for the next day's smoke - without ever having gotten into any trouble.

Go where you are told. Do what you are told. And don't be a Goddamn pussy. That's all you really need to know, if you want to get right down to it. As long as you do that, and do it well, you will get your shit. But that being a pussy thing is problematic for a lot of guys who try.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”