The Crossfit protocol

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
smug
Embryo

The Crossfit protocol

Post by smug »

Has anybody followed the Crossfit protocol with good results? If so, how has it affected your PFT scores? Finally, if anybody has rejected this system, please indicate why.

http://www.crossfit.com
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: The Crossfit protocol

Post by Steadfast »

smug wrote:Has anybody followed the Crossfit protocol with good results? If so, how has it affected your PFT scores? Finally, if anybody has rejected this system, please indicate why.

http://www.crossfit.com

And your purpose for asking on this is......... :?:
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
smug
Embryo

Post by smug »

Ranger Steadfast,

Thank you for your reply.

My purpose in asking is to determine whether Crossfit has lived up to its claims in the preparation of any DEPers and/or the training of current and former military personnel.
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

I've never heard of it.How did we prepare before they thought that shit up?
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Is the center guy a product of "Forging elite fitness"

RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
PJ1
Embryo

Have you tried it?

Post by PJ1 »

First of I would like to start this off with, I am huge fan of the Rangers, I have worked with you all many times in many terrible locations.

As far as Crossfit is GAY, my first question is have you tried it? From your statement you have not, so how can you assume that you know what you are talking about? Try a workout and see how GAY it is, I would be willing to bet you will change your tune.

As far as the "guy" in the picture, that is Dan John, Olympic lifter, Coach, and all around good human. Could you out lift him? Doubt it. Don't judge a book by it's cover, check out Danjohn.com, you might find some very interesting stuff.

As far as testimonials, let me give you my background and why I started crossfit. I am currently the selection NCO for my team and every student that I have does crossfit, and I have put 14 through and have had 100% graduation rates. 90% come back with honor grad.

Since I have been doing Crossfit my Pt scores have gone up wildly. This is 1 year after having my neck fused. 6 months after surgery I was able to do Ice climbs I would have never have attempted nor completed. Everything that I do in training has become easier, it is almost a joke, I wonder what life would have3 been like if I had found this workout 10 years earlier. My Jiu Jitsu game has gone through the roof, I don't get tired. I could go on and on....

I will leave you with this, one of my teammates who has 2 combat jumps, 1 freefall, 1 static, and multiple engagements within the past 2 years is quoted "this is the only workout that will simulate actual combat on a daily basis." Do you think this may work for you?
USAF Pararescue, 14 years
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Someone will be by to drop kick you for no intro in a minute.In the meantime thanks for the input. :roll:
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

BTW.Is that a 100% pass rate for Ranger School?
90% honor grad? :shock:
Wanna job?
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

BadMuther
BANNED

Re: Have you tried it?

Post by BadMuther »

PJ1 wrote:First of I would like to start this off with, I am huge fan of the Rangers, I have worked with you all many times in many terrible locations.

As far as Crossfit is GAY, my first question is have you tried it? From your statement you have not, so how can you assume that you know what you are talking about? Try a workout and see how GAY it is, I would be willing to bet you will change your tune.

As far as the "guy" in the picture, that is Dan John, Olympic lifter, Coach, and all around good human. Could you out lift him? Doubt it. Don't judge a book by it's cover, check out Danjohn.com, you might find some very interesting stuff.

As far as testimonials, let me give you my background and why I started crossfit. I am currently the selection NCO for my team and every student that I have does crossfit, and I have put 14 through and have had 100% graduation rates. 90% come back with honor grad.

Since I have been doing Crossfit my Pt scores have gone up wildly. This is 1 year after having my neck fused. 6 months after surgery I was able to do Ice climbs I would have never have attempted nor completed. Everything that I do in training has become easier, it is almost a joke, I wonder what life would have3 been like if I had found this workout 10 years earlier. My Jiu Jitsu game has gone through the roof, I don't get tired. I could go on and on....

I will leave you with this, one of my teammates who has 2 combat jumps, 1 freefall, 1 static, and multiple engagements within the past 2 years is quoted "this is the only workout that will simulate actual combat on a daily basis." Do you think this may work for you?
Check this out bro. This is a unique site for Rangers and their families. This is primarily a Ranger site, though others are welcome as long as they follow OUR rules.

One of our rules is that you go to the intro section and make an intro.

IMHO, crossfit looks interesting, but I doubt some of their claims. Like:

"CrossFit is the principal strength and conditioning program for many police academies and tactical operations teams, military special operations units, champion martial artists, and hundreds of other elite and professional athletes worldwide."

Which spec ops units? Other then on an individual basis, I've only heard of PJ's doing it. Doesn't really support the claim I quoted above.

The other thing about this site is it is unlike any other site you visit. Like I said, it's a Ranger site. Rangers are free to say whatever the fuck they please on here. It's our home, we are entitled to that. It is NOT a place where outsiders have the same rights to free speech as Rangers. It ain't fair, but it's our house, our rules.

I don't know exactly what your connection to crossfit is, and it doesn't really matter. Not following the rules and engaging Rangers here will make your stay a short one. If you'd like to debate crossfit, there's a couple of threads on socnet where you can do so.

Having said that, feel free to post an intro and stay awhile. We don't have many rules here, but we do ask that they be followed.

Welcome.

Jim
joshwebster
Egg

Post by joshwebster »

listen here Mr. Zaknafien. Dismissing something as gay before you know a little more than nothing about it reflects exactly what i expect from someone from the 10th mountain division.
If you are still reading and have not freaked out on your keyboard yet let me tell you a little something about the workouts. As a former ranger and certified personal trainer I happen to know that simply doing APFT exercises, while they are better than nothing, hardly cut it for any type of workout.
Crossfit focuses on building core and leg strength through some exercises that you have never even heard of, and probably couldn't possibly complete even one single repetition of......that's right, not a single rep. As I progress througth the workouts week by week i'm finding that they vaguely represent something that gymnasts would be working on, a lot of lower back, abs, hips and quads, rope climbing, and of course, pull-ups push-ups, and sit-ups.
This type of training has put me in the best shape of my life. I did push-ups for four years in the army in the ranger battalion and always considered myself "bad" at them. I was 6'4 and weighed 185 lbs. Now I am 210 lbs and can knock out 100 in 2 minutes. It blows my mind how by not isolating muscle groups, and not spending one day on one exercise can increase performance.
So you see Mr.Spoke-To-Soon, you may have something to learn after all , and (just pretend with me will you) you may not be the worlds leading authority on cardio-aerobic military personal fitness.
C Co. 2/75 00-03
Madslasher, mess you up
PJ1
Embryo

You might like!

Post by PJ1 »

CROSSFIT, STOICISM, & AN AMERICAN PRISONER OF WAR

What does CrossFit training have in common with Stoic philosophy and the story of an American Prisoner Of War (POW)? Mental toughness. The ability to tolerate discomfort for a higher purpose. The strength of will to not be broken by adversity. Of course, the demands of a CrossFit workout can’t compare in intensity to being tortured as a POW for military secrets, but it does compare in kind. CrossFit is all about scalability. As Coach has always said, the demands of an elite athlete are different from a deconditioned senior only in degree and not in kind.

Vice Admiral (VADM) James B. Stockdale, United States Navy (retired, b.1923-), was the senior-ranking Naval Officer within the Vietnamese prison camp system. He spent nearly eight years as a POW, four of which were in solitary confinement, cloaked in total darkness. His imprisonment was one of the longest such ordeals in American history. How did he survive the torture, the isolation, and the uncertainty of his future?

Before answering the question, is the relevance to CrossFit already obvious? If you read the daily WOD (Workout Of the Day) comments, the sense of torture, isolation and uncertainty are definitely present. Again, the intensity and degree of suffering of a WOD are self-chosen and ultimately fun (“It doesn’t have to be fun to be funâ€
PJ1
Embryo

Did not mean to offend just give insight

Post by PJ1 »

Guys, sorry if I offended anyone, my affiliation with crossfit is that I am going to start one here in San Jose, and the owners are some of the most giving to all military that I have ever encountered.

As far as whom they work with, I promise you they are not lying when they make that statement. San Jose Merge, Jacksonville SWAT, DOE, USAF Pararescue, SEALS, SF, Force, just to name a few.

This will be the last I post on the subject, so as not to push, try a workout, if not, train hard, stay in shape. If you have questions I am here to stay.

Thanks for the welcome
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

I see Zaknafien does not want to retort.... :? :lol: :lol: :lol:
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

We're gettin' a few adertisements lately. :shock:

P.S.If you try not to trash any more Army units,we won't hammer the shit out of that fuckin' country club with uniforms we call the Airforce.

You sound like you know what you're talking about but shit, if I have to read all that you could at least be polite to our members.

If you don't like the comments we would appreciate a cordial "fuck you".
No need to stick a brochure up our ass. :roll: ...fuckin' honor grads...
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

Return to “About Army Physical Training”