Boot Selection For RASP (flat feet)

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
FutureSoldierMA
Embryo

Post by FutureSoldierMA »

Hello Rangers,

I have a question regarding footwear during RASP, specifically for flat feet. I myself have flat feet (literally no arch), Ive run Cross Country and Track now for four years with them, so they are by no means a major problem. They can cause shin splints a bit easier than it takes for most people, but with proper stretching and footwear I can usually avoid these and other problems related to them. So I believe your issued sneakers based on how much support you need when you get to Basic Training. I'm more concerned with boots though, especially for RASP, due to the amount of running ive heard you do in them. I read an article on SOFLETE.com regarding what boots the author believes are the best for SFAS and RASP (he prefaced by saying he attended both). So this made me believe you have some choice in what boots you can bring to RASP, but from articles on here I've heard you can only bring standard issues boots. So I was just looking for some clarification on that subject, and if you can put store bought insoles in them aswell. I'm just concerned about injury from running in unsupportive footwear.

I also apologize if this is the wrong area on the forum to post this question, I figured it was more of a PT question than one about RASP. Thank you.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Boot Selection For RASP (flat feet)

Post by Jim »

Have you been to a podiatrist (foot doctor) to discuss your flat feet? I never had a problem on AD, but since I retired I have prescription inserts in my shoes. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
FutureSoldierMA
Embryo

Ranger Jim,

Yes I saw a podiatrist, there were actually two of them. Once I told them there was nothing abnormally wrong one said inserts might be a benefit, and the other showed me some stretches he said could work just as well. After following the advice regarding stretches, I've been able to run without really any problems in sneakers. I'm just worried about how boots might be a different situation, because the sneakers im wearing are geared towards people with flater feet.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

And what did they say about boots? Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
FutureSoldierMA
Embryo

Ranger Jim,
Boots weren't even brought up during the conversation, it was more of a general discussion about flat feet.
salvador209
Embryo

Post by salvador209 »

You are allowed to bring any tan desert boot IAW AR 670-1 as long as it doesn't have buckles. Some people have gotten unauthorized boots for use in the field. Just don't ask questions and you'll be okay. Make sure you still have your cold weather boots, too, as they're on the packing list and many people decide to send them home or something because they're attending the course in the summer or something.
FutureSoldierMA
Embryo

Thanks, Salvador209, thats some good info.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

I would focus on socks and insoles more so than a specific type of boot at this point. A lot of us never bought any extra boots besides the standard issue and they worked fine. If you have issues with your feet, start there.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
FutureSoldierMA
Embryo

Thanks Ranger Disinfertention, I just wasn't sure what the Cadre at RASPs positions were on insoles.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

FutureSoldierMA wrote:Thanks Ranger Disinfertention, I just wasn't sure what the Cadre at RASPs positions were on insoles.
I would read the instructions to the course with the packing list etc, if you get any, and go off of that. If it doesn't say insoles cannot be worn, then you can wear them.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

What you're issued these days are pretty good, especially compared to what I started with. You won't get a chance to choose what to wear through OSUT, and you don't want to start any hard course that involves long walks/runs while trying to break in new boots.

I had/have flattish feet and just learned to deal with the pain. Is there more pain than for normally arched dudes? Who can say. I did end up with orthotics before I retired, and they helped once I got used to them. But they were issued for bone spurs, and to prevent planter faciatis....

What did work for me, and most was walking/rucking routinely. Rucking is what makes your feet hard. I would notice more aching and pain through my arches when I had time off from walking routinely.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long

Return to “About Army Physical Training”