Thoughts on preparing for RASP

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
kensongakusei
Ranger

Thoughts on preparing for RASP

Post by kensongakusei »

Physical conditioning for RASP

My purpose in writing this to only offer an opinion about what works and what doesn't to prepare and successfully make it through RASP (Ranger Assessment and Selection Process).

You will never touch a barbell, a kettlebell, or a dumbell in RASP. You will however do a shit ton of pushups, pullups, situps, flutter kicks, lunges, squats, running, and rucking. You will be expected to perform rope climbs, wall climbs, buddy carries, and distance running while in full kit. To be physically successful in RASP you need to be proficient at moving your own bodyweight (both for high repetitions and under a load), be comfortable running 4-6 miles multiple times per week, and be strong/durable.

Thoughts on APFT numbers-
There are already a ton of bodyweight only training programs out there, so I'm not going to re-create the wheel here. If you need a direction though, Rob Shaul @ militaryathlete.com offers a solid 6 week APFT improvement plan to help you get started. The standard Army PT test is 2 minutes of pushups, 2 minutes of situps, and a 2 mile run. At RASP you will also do a set of max chinups after the run.

To be competitive I would aim to have at least 70 pushups, 70 situps, under a 12:30 minute 2 mile run, and at least 12 good deadhang chinups. Guys with roughly a 285 AFPT score were only about average in my class...just to give you an idea

Thoughts on Running and Rucking-
We ran everywhere in RASP. If you weren't running, you were wrong. The only running test you have is to pass the 5 mile run in under 40 minutes. We performed 2 diagnostic 5 mile runs and then 1 for record (if you fail that one, you get one more shot). I would definitely recommend having a strong running base coming into RASP. In my opinion 2 days of distance running and 1 day of hard sprint work should be your baseline.

Every week we had a ruck march. The distance increased from 6 up to 12 miles with 2 fast ass forced rucks thrown in. The standard pace is 15 minutes per mile and your ruck has to weigh at least 35lbs without water. With water weight and carrying your rubber duck (rubber M16), you will be rucking with about 50lbs. It would behoove you spend time under a ruck and in boots before you get to RASP. Get your mind and body used to dealing with the discomfort of rucking.

Strength Training-
Like I was saying earlier, you won't spend any time throwing a barbell around during RASP. However, that doesn't mean weights can't be a good tool to help you prepare. I would “train for extension”. What I mean by this is anything to build up your back and improve your pulling power. Having a strong core will go a very long way in helping you get faster and stronger, but also prevent injury. Everyone is all about looking good for the ladies, but extension is foundation of athletic performance and staying healthy. If you're going to lift weights (which I do recommend) I would keep it to a short list of: Deadlifts, Front Squats, Rows, Kettlebell Swings, any sort of ground to overhead work (clean and press for example), and box jumps. Save the curls and your goal to bench 300lbs until after you graduate.

Odd Objects. A great tool to use for strength training and durability is a sandbag. I would absolutely recommend sandbag training as part of your routine. Moving a sandbag is way more applicable to what you'll be moving at RASP than a barbell or kettlebell, but both have merits and I would encourage the use of both.

Thoughts on Durability and not getting hurt-
So it's obvious that bodyweight movements, running, and rucking are all part of the program. A lot of dudes from my class got blown up due to IT band syndrome, pulled hamstrings, tweaked hips and ankles, and chafing that looked like their skin was melted off.

Spending time under a ruck before coming to RASP will allow you to build up your hips, knees, ankles, and toughen the parts of skin that your ruck rubs against. The same goes for having a good running base. You are not only building up your cardiovascular system, but also strengthening the connective tissue around your ankles, knees, and hips to be more durable to the constant pounding of running everywhere.

Foam roll. A great idea is when you get to RASP go buy a foam roller and use it at some point every day. Foam rolling speeds up recovery of broken down muscle tissue and will help you feel “less sore” each day. A foam roller is a great tool for preventative maintenance on your whole body.

To recap, when thinking about your own training for RASP, I would look at in 3 different areas:
1) APFT Scores-
For better or worse the APFT is a must pass test at 80%. The obvious way to get a higher APFT score is to do pushups, situps, and run...practice the test how it is given and make sure you are strong in all 3 events

2) Running and Ruck Times-
Build a strong base for both running and rucking and you should have no issues. Again it's too easy to get better at both these events. Get out and run, sprint, and ruck.

3) Durability-
This is where the strength training, doing long ass bodyweight smoke sessions, the running, rucking, sandbag work...whatever you have been doing all culminates. RASP is a grind. There is no way around that. You can be a pushup ninja, but what good is that you if your knees or IT band get blown up in Cole Range and you have to recycle or get dropped? You get durable by putting in the hard work day in and day out. Train smart, keep your goal in mind, and crush anything in your path.

I hope this article helps to give future RASP candidates some new ideas on training. Again this is just one opinion on preparing. I wasn't the best in the class physically, but I never got hurt, never really had chafing issues, and I never had any issues with my feet.
2/75

"Fortune favors the prepared"
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Thoughts on preparing for RASP

Post by Jim »

Excellent SITREP! Never, never quit!
Bronco
Quitter

Post by Bronco »

Roger, Ranger kensongakusei.
11X OPT 40
SHIP DATE: 20140715

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
boomer478
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by boomer478 »

11X OPT. 40
SHIP DATE: 20140707

Futbol
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Futbol »

11X OPT 40
SHIP DATE: 20140325

Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Good stuff here. Just this little bit of info would have made things a whole lot easier for old Doc back in the spring of '95.

Read and heed, gentlemen. That's all there is to it.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Excellent advice.

You can be the most prepared guy in the world, but if you haven't done mobility work to make yourself less injury-prone, then you are rolling the dice. Do some yoga, look at some Kelly Starret videos, use that foam roller and lacrosse ball religiously, etc. If I knew then what I know now....
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Mentees -- Ranger kensongakusei joined the site in 2012, and performed his training duties flawlessly. He is currently serving in 2d Ranger Battalion. I expect great things from him.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “About Army Physical Training”