Crossfit pro/cons

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Musashistudent3108
Embryo

Crossfit pro/cons

Post by Musashistudent3108 »

So I just started training at my local Crossfit gym in preparation for OSUT/RASP. (I am satisfied with my performance on the RPFT so far, the idea was to improve, but do so without sustaining injury prior to training). So I am adding Crossfit to my PT plan.

However, we spend a lot of time on Olympic style lifting, like power cleans, front squats, snatches, etc. Is any of this going to be useful to me? Or is it just a waste of time?
1/214th FA GA ANG 2009-2011
3/108th CAV (R&S) GA ANG 2011-2013

"think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world"- M. Musashi
"a pint of sweat will save a gallon of blood"- G.S. Patton
"You must understand that there is more than one path to the top of the mountain" - M. Musashi
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Crossfit pro/cons

Post by Jim »

When are you going to get a Ranger contract?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Musashistudent3108
Embryo

I am waiting on my recruiter to get me an appointment at MEPS. I project being there in about a week.

I had to get a DA form 7349 updated before I could even go to MEPS, two days ago I found a Doc who was willing to sign.

once I arrive there I have already explained to my recruiter that I will not be signing for anything less than an option 40. I told him 11X was my preference but I would consider 68W, 13F, and 25U.

"You must understand that there is more than one path to the top of the mountain" - M. Musashi
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

Firstly, who are you talking to in your 2nd post?
Second fitness is not a waste of time. Some Crossfit gyms can be a little stupid so mind your body's health.
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
Musashistudent3108
Embryo

I was addressing Jim previously, I got yelled at for specifying who I was addressing once before on here so I stopped doing it

. I don't think it's a waste of time so much as the intensity level is not up to snuff. My Crossfit Coach has two classes, one is a class of beginners (which is much to easy) and the other is a class of competitive Crossfit Athletes that out lift me in every lift (they are all 6'+) I can either beat them or I am on par with them in bodyweight WOD's, but all those guys do is lift. I am not trying to look like Arnold, I am trying to get fitter, lose more weight, and get ready for RASP.

When I am in the beginner class he limits the exercises by time and rounds to the point where I am just getting good and warmed up when the soccer moms, college kids, and local male do-nothing types are hitting muscle failure. The only time where I get a good cardio punishing, throwing up, muscle failure type workout, is when I am alone in class (which has only happened once) and the coach adjusts the WOD for me.

Should I keep doing Crossfit and add more stuff to it and risk over training? Should I drop Crossfit and completely rework my PT plan? Are there exercises in Crossfit that I shouldn't even bother with because they wont help me get ready for RASP?

RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

I believe you meant to say you were addressing Ranger Jim previously. We can be a little pedantic about this from time to time.

You may wish to read this article around lifting - http://www.mensjournal.com/magazine/pri ... e-20120504
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Musashistudent3108 wrote:I was addressing Jim previously, I got yelled at for specifying who I was addressing once before on here so I stopped doing it
Stop. Drop. Push.

This should have read "Ranger Baseplate I was addressing Ranger Jim."

You've been here almost a year, what would make you think that the site Rules and Regs don't pertain to you?

Before you get yourself all wadded up thinking that we're not answering your questions, step and back and look at it from our POV, why should we answer you if you can't follow simple instructions that every other NEWB on here seems to understand.

It's not because we need our ego's inflated by hearing ourselves addressed as Rangers, it's part of your learning curve and everything you do or say is looked at for trainability, humility, and a want to learn and succeed.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Musashistudent3108
Embryo

Ranger RangerX, I would like to thank you for the article.

cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Musashistudent3108 wrote:Ranger RangerX, I would like to thank you for the article.
I see that you don't think I deserve a response to my post. Your arrogance will end up causing you and your squad buddies a lot of pain in the future.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

Musashistudent3108
Embryo

Ranger Cams, at the time, in order to avoid saying something unprofessional, and to give myself sufficient time to think of the best way to reply to what you said, I decided to hold off on replying to your previous comment, its not out of arrogance, it was more along the lines of if you can't think of something nice to say, don't say anything at all. I knew you were correct, you knew you were correct, so I didn't see any need to say something that everyone was already appraised of. You can think what you like of me, and I won't lose any sleep over it, I have no problem admitting when I am wrong, but I am not going to compromise my professionalism by responding too hastily. I believe that if I am going to be a Ranger, then I ought to endeavor to uphold the prestige, honor, and high espirit de corps of the Ranger Regiment, even if am not part of the Regiment yet. I meant no disrespect to you or anyone else here.

cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Musashistudent3108 wrote:So I just started training at my local Crossfit gym in preparation for OSUT/RASP. (I am satisfied with my performance on the RPFT so far, the idea was to improve, but do so without sustaining injury prior to training). So I am adding Crossfit to my PT plan.

However, we spend a lot of time on Olympic style lifting, like power cleans, front squats, snatches, etc. Is any of this going to be useful to me? Or is it just a waste of time?
Did you just recently update your sigline with your NG units?

I've read your reply to me from earlier and I'm fine with it and understand it. I will offer an apology publicly to you because after reading this first post and seeing "Embryo" under your screenname it appeared as though you were a brand new dep. Attention to detail on my part. Carry on young man. Good luck.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

Yep I now feel like an asshole. Sorry.
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
Musashistudent3108
Embryo

Rangers Baseplate and Cams, no apology necessary
It was just the National Guard, and I am coded as a GNPS for enlistment purposes (due to a bunch of admin BS which I have no desire to bore anyone with), I also just now figured out how to update my signature line so if we are playing find the asshole here its me. Also I am going to have to go to OSUT/RASP anyway so your impression of me as a trainee is not that misguided. Basically, I like to think I am smart enough to understand that I don't know much about what I am getting in to. Hence my presence here.

Now back to the subject at hand, as far as Crossfit goes, I have met some people who love it and some who hate it, I read the Article that Ranger RangerX shared, and it was actually very helpful, I started taking more time during the WOD today and get much better intensity out of the workout. Apart from running is there anything else I should be working on? I have issues with right knee stability, are there some exercises or lifts or anything I can do to make my knees more durable? I will push through pain to get through RASP, as pain is only temporary, but I don't want to arrive at Regiment a broke dick, I would rather be out, and butthurt about it, than in, broke, and end up with somebody else carrying me at some point.

cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Musashistudent3108 wrote:Rangers Baseplate and Cams, no apology necessary
It was just the National Guard, and I am coded as a GNPS for enlistment purposes (due to a bunch of admin BS which I have no desire to bore anyone with), I also just now figured out how to update my signature line so if we are playing find the asshole here its me. Also I am going to have to go to OSUT/RASP anyway so your impression of me as a trainee is not that misguided. Basically, I like to think I am smart enough to understand that I don't know much about what I am getting in to. Hence my presence here.
Roger that. I was hoping I wasn't that blind yet.

As for the second statement I put in bold letters, that should be the quote of the week.

Being a serving member of the military, you do not need to address the men of the site as Rangers, just their screen names.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

Return to “About Army Physical Training”