The Workout Thread

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Bronco
Quitter

The Workout Thread

Post by Bronco »

The point of this thread is for DEPs and anyone else who wants to join, to post their APFT scores and compete with each other. You can post your scores as frequently as you'd like, but please make sure you are updating your scores on here at least every 30 days. When posting your scores do not just put how many reps you received for each exercise, also include your total score out of 300. Additionally, if you have any good workouts feel free to post them on here so others can try them out.
11X OPT 40
SHIP DATE: 20140715

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
Bronco
Quitter

Re: The Workout Thread

Post by Bronco »

APFT Results:
push-ups: 26
sit-ups: 58
pull-ups: 4
2 mile run: 12:18

Score: 168/300 (failed)
11X OPT 40

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Good start, let's see what the other Mentees are going to contribute. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Make sure if you are scoring the PT test, score it off the 17-21 age bracket
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Not to take away anything from the other DEP's, but I find the numbers posted here more believable (and impressive) than those posted in most of the intros. I feel even the scores posted when a PT test is administered by a recruiter can be somewhat over exaggerated. I base this on years of watching people do push ups that aren't in proper form. This isn't the fault of anyone, it is simply not being used to doing correct form push ups/sit ups/pull ups. Push ups are an excellent exercise overall precisely because it takes far more than chest muscles to execute them. One must have tremendous core strength to keep the body overall straight without sagging. A perfect example was my first mentee; He was a football player and in excellent shape, but when he did his push ups only 2/3 were done to standard. That being said, he still did over 50. Also, one can see already that most excel at one event, but lack in others. It takes a great deal of effort to get to the point where you can score to the Ranger standard. Lets not forget, just to make the Ranger standard on a PT test means you are in better shape than 75% of the population.

This thread is a great idea, and will also motivate my fat, middle aged ass to get back in shape. 24 well executed reps, with correct form are far better than 50 half assed ones. That is, provided those 24 are done with every bit of effort.

So, let's see what you got..
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Bronco
Quitter

Post by Bronco »

Roger, Ranger goon175.
11X OPT 40

Hatch22
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Hatch22 »

My APFT Score (Today)

Push-Ups - 105
Sit-Ups - 82
2 Mile Run - 14:48
Pull-Ups - 20

Score: 275/300

Overall, this was better than my last score, but nowhere near where I want to be. I used to be a heavy lifter, with very little focus on cardio. Today, I started the Six-Week Military Athlete APFT Program. With the clear-cut programming, I know I am going to see much improvement on my run time in these next few weeks.
11X OPT 40
SHIP DATE: 20131230

Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

smsst14, have you yet tried the push up improvement plan written by Silverback in the 2nd sticky thread of this forum?
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Bronco
Quitter

Post by Bronco »

Self-administered APFT: 20131205

Push-ups: 30
Sit-ups: 67
2 mile run: 12:00
Pull-ups: 7

Score: 182/300 (failed)

My scores absolutely suck! I need to get my butt in gear if I plan to make it through RASP, let alone stay in the Regiment.
11X OPT 40

Dc22x
Future Soldier Mod/ Opt40

Post by Dc22x »

The 12 week RASP training program is a good program, the link can be found here http://www.benning.army.mil/tenant/75th ... 0Plan2.pdf

That program supplemented with another workout program is great. It will really help improve ruck times especially for those who have never rucked before. If any other mentees have a crossfit gym in their area I'd recommend that as well.
Mentee to Ranger Slowpoke
Calvin
Embryo

Post by Calvin »

My APFT
PU - 73
SU - 60
PULL - 8
RUN - 14:36

Total: 249/300

Most of my workouts have mainly consisted of maxing out diamond, shoulder grip, and wide grip pushups, for 2 sets, every other day. For situps I would max out 2 sets(One slow and controlled. One pumping them out.). Honestly I haven't been doing any pull-ups lately and I have only been running 1 mile every other day. I started running about a month ago. As of a couple days ago, I started using the APFT Improvement guide posted by Silverback. The only modification I use is to use the Push-up program, also posted by Silverback, which I substitute for the pushups in the APFT Improvement system(if that makes any sense)
"Promise only what you can deliver. Then deliver more than you promise."

Return to “About Army Physical Training”