The Workout Thread

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Mungi671
Future Soldier / Opt40

Re: The Workout Thread

Post by Mungi671 »

Roger Ranger rangerjd,

Today I completed a 6.5 Mile road march in 1:37:19
This is under the 15minute mile pace by just seconds. I am continuing to strengthen my legs, core, and back to be able to maintain and improve my time as I gradually increase in length.

To ensure I meet the minimum weight requirement for my ruck sack I put in a 25lb plate, and 10lb plate. This way there is no doubt that I am training to the standard.
11X
Ship Date 20150908

seancul55
Future Soldier/ 18 Series

Post by seancul55 »

Rangers,

Today, I finally passed the written standard for the 5 mile run, albeit, barely. I finished this run in a time of 39:58 over rolling hill terrain on a freshly paved bike path. I ran a 1.25 mile route, down and back, down and back. I am pleased to finally have a passing score for the last critical event I was failing before I finally ship on Monday. I am going to attempt to finish my task list this week and weekend (though the 10 pullups assignment may not be completed until after OSUT as I still struggle to get more than 7 or 8 ). Obviously, I want to keep pushing to further lower my time to the unwritten standard of around 35 minutes before I step off the bus at Fort Bragg. Thanks again.
18X
Ship Date: 20150720

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
xray
Ranger

Post by xray »

Keep at it. Good luck and have fun.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk
A co. 2/75 93-96
RS 08-94
seancul55

Post by seancul55 »

Roger, Ranger xray.
18X

seancul55

Post by seancul55 »

Rangers,

I figured I'd bring this thread back to life and share some progress. Hopefully it will motivate some of the DEPs that maybe aren't in the best shape right NOW, but who are motivated to do something about it, as they'll be able to see my progress from failing the APFT in March until now.

I just ran a 5 mile in 34:27 on the 1 mile track here at Airborne tonight. I'm actually in shock right now that I was able to do that. I felt strong the entire way and feel I could have kept the pace a while longer (I was aiming for sub-7 minute miles). I'm still weighing in around 200 lbs, but I've been making awesome progress since coming back from a little knee issue and hitting the gym again. Loathe as my inner football meathead is to admit it, I think the crossfit-style WOD workouts are probably the reason I'm seeing so much progress. My pull-ups are also seeing awesome progress and I can do multiple 30 foot rope climbs in a row now without issue (finally completely mastered the J-hook).

Also, I tested my one mile time last night with a buddy and ran a 5:57. He ran a 5:38, so I'm going to have to chase him down in a few weeks when we test it again.

Tomorrow is our first jump and then we should be out of here come Friday. Thanks again for all of the guidance, Rangers. I don't think I'd be nearly as prepared as I am without the interaction here on AR.

-Sean
18X

bryan
Embryo

Post by bryan »

Rangers,

I have already provided an introduction including about myself, why I want to be a Ranger, and my PT scores for most of the required exercises. I am going to start posting my progress here in addition to a spreadsheet I have created to track my improvements. My goal is to obtain one rep higher in all categories with every test I administer to myself. I will post my current scores as well as my goal for the next test. I am going to try and conduct one 16 mile ruck once per month at the least with increasing weight each time.

PT Baseline:
Push ups: 54 (Goal:56)
Sit ups: 66 (Goal:70)
Pull ups: 12(Goal:13)
5 mile run: To be determined & posted by the end of the week (Eastern Standard Time).

Thank you,
Bryan
Last edited by bryan on December 10th, 2015, 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog" - General Dwight D. Eisenhower
CCJ
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by CCJ »

I decided that I'll give a little update on my scores, I took the 2-2-2 PFT with my recruiters yesterday and it went pretty well.

Push Ups: 64
Sit Ups: 85
2 Mile Run: 11:47

There was no pull up bar where I was so I couldn't assess them but once I got home (about 3 hours after the PFT) I completed 12 solid chin ups. I think I was supposed to do actual pull ups rather than chin ups and if so, I'll get it right next time. I'll do 25+1 push ups right now for not being 100% positive.
11x Opt 40
Ship Date: 20160112

bryan
Embryo

Post by bryan »

Just thought I'd post some progress. This morning I went out to the track and conducted a timed 5 mile run. My time was 45 minutes, much room for improvement. My next goal will be 43 minutes.
"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog" - General Dwight D. Eisenhower
Fr88tz
Future Soldier

Post by Fr88tz »

Hello Rangers and everyone else on this site. Just decided to post a little update, yesterday I hit a new Personal Record on my push ups. My goal at first was 80 a while back ago, after being able to hit 77, and I could eventually get into the 80s range just fine, so my next goal was to practice on my pace a little more, and now yesterday I did 91 push ups in 2 mins. My new personal best. Then my second set I did 88, and my third set I did 70 in 2 mins but then even after the timer went off I did 7 more just to finish my set. So far happy with the progress. My next goal is 100 push ups in two minutes. I am really motivated, to keep on working hard
11X

naweir
Future Soldier

Post by naweir »

I have been reading on this thread for awhile and thought I would post here also. Firstly glad to see some fellow wanna-be Rangers with like minds and goals.

My recent ruck march was only four miles with 45 lbs (I will be reverting back to 35 lbs as told to do by Ranger Jim). Time was 11-12 minutes per mile. It was a strict road march with no elevation difficulty. I completed it in boots with a large frame alice pack.

Chaser is the APFT improvement as outlined by Ranger Silverback. My starting numbers for PUs = 22, and SUs = 29 per set.

I will attempt to post regularly with further workouts and maybe we can all push each other here.
12B

naweir
Future Soldier

Post by naweir »

Crosstraining Workout:

12 min AMRAP

1 - Lunge Complex
2 - bar facing burpees

Every round after the first increase Lunges by +1, an burpees by +2. Score is the total number of reps. RX is 115# barbell.
12B

naweir
Future Soldier

Post by naweir »

naweir wrote:Crosstraining Workout:

12 min AMRAP

1 - Lunge Complex
2 - bar facing burpees

Every round after the first increase Lunges by +1, an burpees by +2. Score is the total number of reps. RX is 115# barbell.
correction *AND burpees by +2*

Lunge Complex = one front squat + one right leg lunge + one left leg lunge keeping the weighted bar in the front rack position.

Bar Facing Burpee = face the bar, complete the burpee, then jump over the bar. This is one rep.
12B

Firebird5
Egg

Post by Firebird5 »

Hello Rangers and those training to be Rangers. I'm in my AIT training right now and recently submitted a ranger packet. Currently, this is where I'm at:
Pushups: 65
Situps: 84
Pull-ups: 7
2 mile: 12:33
5 mile: 35:30
Don't have a March yet, the only ones I've done were in basic and I felt like they were pretty slow. Will get one done on my own time over the weekend.
Also, I'm a really lean endurance build and I've heard people lose a lot of weight during RASP. Any advice on gaining some pounds without negatively affecting pt score?
Fr88tz
Future Soldier

Post by Fr88tz »

Hello Rangers, and also hello to everyone else on this group. I Just did a self assessment of my current apft, and where I am currently at.

Push ups: 80

Sit ups: 85

2 mile run: 13:56

Pull ups: 15 dead hangs straight

The only thing stopping me is my run time. I have 2 months left and some change before I ship, and will be working hard on my run. As far as push ups, sit ups, and pull ups I feel like I am fine, although there is always room to be better. This week I will be deactivating my gym account..dropping the weights for the last two months..and just doing my best to try to reduce my running time. Just wanted to post a little update of where I am currently at in my progress. Thank you in advance for any tips, advice, and motivation, from everyone in this group.
11X

Rollight
Egg

Post by Rollight »

Hello Rangers and others. I just starter training recently for RASP as I am thinking of joining the regiment after University. Here is my info
Weight: 143lb
Height: 5’8

Self administered test

Push-ups: 40 (2:00 mins)
Sit-ups: 50 (2:00 mins)
2mr: 18:49 mins
5mr: 55 minutes
Pull-ups: (unable to test as local park blocked work-out are due to COVID)
Fail

I will do the 2 miles separate from the 5 miles as I use my 2 mile time from my 5 mile run. Need to get back in shape as COVID has destroyed my stamina.

Return to “About Army Physical Training”