Training at high altitude?

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Boziman
Future Soldier / Opt40

Training at high altitude?

Post by Boziman »

Anyone have any experience with living and doing pt at high altitude and then going to sea level? I've read that, contrary to popular belief, training and living at high altitude will not improve your performance at sea level; in fact, theres evidence saying it can even worsen performance when you return to sea level because you won't be able to workout as intensely while at altitude. Just a bit concerned because Im in CO, at 5000 ft ASL and Im hoping my fitness level doesn't take a hit when I ship in a couple weeks, esp considering how hard I've been working trying to prepare myself.

Thoughts?
11X OPT. 40
Ship Date: 20130903
PocketKings
Ranger

Re: Training at high altitude?

Post by PocketKings »

When I came back from Northern Warfare in college my cardio was through the roof at sea level. The same after I go climbing with my brother in Jackson Hole for a few weeks.

The only problem is once you become aclimated (2-3 weeks), you are 'human' like the rest. Also keep in mind - there's sea level, and then there's Georgia summer heat sea level. It's like swimming on land. You need to hit sea level and push your lungs every day.

The Army has seen people from all over the country do the same thing you're doing. They will give you time to get aclimated. Relax and trust the process.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

I trained at 6000 west of Ft Collins. My first mile in the Army was a 4:30 (I was running high 5's in FtC). You aclimate but I think there's still benefits to growing up at altitude.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

I think...you're over-thinking it. Continue to train and apply your effort in a gratuitous manner when you perform every training/selection event. Remember that every test has a life of its own and ultimate success is not the sum of your performance it is the end result of continuous and efficient application of your effort.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Odds are strong that you are already better prepared physically then you are mentally.

Just sayin'.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

A little anecdotal evidence for what ever it is worth. I live at 6600ish ft. I run a bit but nothing crazy. I visited my in-laws in New Orleans. I had much better endurance in New Orleans because my body wasn't screaming for O2 after the first 5 minutes.
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister

Return to “About Army Physical Training”