Weights Are Not Helping, What Should I Do?

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Bronco
Quitter

Weights Are Not Helping, What Should I Do?

Post by Bronco »

Hey everyone,

For the last two months I have been lifting weights four times a week. My main goal was to gain some more strength and some muscle and I have. However, it really hasn't helped me improve my push ups or pull ups too much. I'm 17 years old and graduate from high school in about a year and a half and am wanting to join DEPs sometime in May. I really need to start improving my pull ups and push ups, and lifting weights isn't doing the job. Does anyone here know a specific program I could do that would help improve my pull ups and push ups, and is also challenging? I'm considering doing the Navy Seal PTG but it has a large focus on
swimming, so I'm not sure if I should do it or not. Is there any kind of workout specifically designed to help prepare you for RASP?

Very Respectfully,

Max
11X OPT 40
SHIP DATE: 20140715

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
Bronco
Quitter

Re: Weights Are Not Helping, What Should I Do?

Post by Bronco »

Ranger Richard Cranium,

I've searched through the About Army Physical Training category a good amount. I just posted this to see if anyone could give me any other workout ideas. I also wanted to see if anyone has done the Navy Seal PTG and what they thought of it, or if there was a workout plan specifically designed to help prepare someone for RASP, but I haven't found anything so I guess there isn't. Sorry I'll try to post less and search more.
11X OPT 40

Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Mustardseed12 wrote:Ranger Richard Cranium,

I've searched through the About Army Physical Training category a good amount. I just posted this to see if anyone could give me any other workout ideas. I also wanted to see if anyone has done the Navy Seal PTG and what they thought of it, or if there was a workout plan specifically designed to help prepare someone for RASP, but I haven't found anything so I guess there isn't. Sorry I'll try to post less and search more.
The first four posts in this forum are stickies (meaning they are shown with a thumb tack). These are programs made by Rangers used specially for becoming a Ranger - that is why the F--k they are stickies. We treat those that come & inquire as an adult - we do not hold your hand - we do expect initiative by you and that is you search our forums extensively for answers. You are not the first to ask this question & you won't be the last.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

How much protien are you consuming? If your body doesn't have the building blocks it wont be able to build muscle no matter what workout you follow.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
Bronco
Quitter

Post by Bronco »

I usually drank 1 glass of milk mixed with one scoop of whey protein when I'm finished working out. Is that enough?
11X OPT 40

rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

Mustardseed12 wrote:I usually drank 1 glass of milk mixed with one scoop of whey protein when I'm finished working out. Is that enough?
Not hardly. I have no idea what you weigh or your body composition but if you want to build lean muscle I can almost guarantee that's not enough.

I recomend talking to your MD or doing some research on-line.

I also believe that the best way to train for the APFT is to follow the workouts we have here.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Mustardseed12 wrote:Hey everyone,

For the last two months I have been lifting weights four times a week. My main goal was to gain some more strength and some muscle and I have. However, it really hasn't helped me improve my push ups or pull ups too much. I'm 17 years old and graduate from high school in about a year and a half and am wanting to join DEPs sometime in May. I really need to start improving my pull ups and push ups, and lifting weights isn't doing the job. Does anyone here know a specific program I could do that would help improve my pull ups and push ups, and is also challenging? I'm considering doing the Navy Seal PTG but it has a large focus on
swimming, so I'm not sure if I should do it or not. Is there any kind of workout specifically designed to help prepare you for RASP?

Very Respectfully,

Max
Hey buddy, friend.

I also want to be a truck mechanic so I'm taking stand up comedy classes, but for some reason it's not helping me with a tranny rebuild, any idea's why?
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

Mustardseed12 wrote: I also wanted to see if anyone has done the Navy Seal PTG and what they thought of it,
Is that the workout where you hang out in the tanning booth, play volleyball with your buds, learn script writing, how to do a TV interview and where to go to get a book deal?

:roll:
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85

Return to “About Army Physical Training”