The Corcoran jump boot..what happened to it?

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
JoBa
US Army Veteran

The Corcoran jump boot..what happened to it?

Post by JoBa »

In the old days, long ago when dinosaurs roamed the earth, paratroopers wore a truly unique boot, it was called the Corcoran Jump Boot. Woe be to those who wore such things if they were not Airborne qualified.

These boots were not Army issue, the trooper paid for them out of his own pocket. You did not break in the boot, but rather, the boot broke in your foot. The first few weeks of wearing them could be downright painful....but then the miracle, they became one with your skin.

The price of them has remained about the same since I purchased my last pair more than fifty years ago, about $125.00, which is kind of amazing.

Corcorans where always kept to an incredibly high spit shine, at least the ones we wore in garrison.

We wore Corcorans for everything, our morning runs to wadding through swamps and when we got all dressed up in our class A uniforms. They were always worn bloused, no matter the uniform.

I notice now, that troopers wear shorts and running shoes for their morning runs. We wore our jump boots, and fatigue trousers for morning PT and our run. We wore what we would be wearing in combat...it was considered to be getting us trained.

Years later I read an article that said that running in sneakers or running shoes is actually bad for your feet, yet this is what the military is now doing.

My suggestion would be for the military to change back to that one old way of doing things, it is better for you, in Corcorans,you can run a whole lot more comfortably.

Buy a pair, wear them until your feet have been broken in, until they are part of you, then try running. you will not believe the difference.

-JoBa
Last edited by JoBa on November 24th, 2012, 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Re: The Corcoran jump boot..what happened to it?

Post by rangertough »

Airborne troops still wear jumpboots (mostly Corcoran) but they wear them in dress uniform.

They do not wear them in combat because they are unsuitable. The soles are basically without significant tread. The cut heel of the boot as well as the rigidity of the sole makes their wear in rocky or urban environments suboptimal.

As far as running in them...

I wear a minimalist running shoe. Other individuals wear conventional shoes. I would never voluntarily choose to run in jump boots. My current combat boot (made by Oakley) is the best boot I've owned for it's purpose in 20 years. The day I bought my first pair I ran 12 miles in full combat kit and got nary a blister.

As far as current physical training techniques in the Army is concerned. As soon as the Sergeant Majors Academy gets thier nose out of it PT will improve to the point where we will have actually physically fit Soldiers. Instead of fat out of shape wind bags that barely pass a PT test that doesn't acurately simulates any real Combat environment.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

Not sure when, but I'd say late 90s, Corcoran sold out to Acme boot. I'm glad I got mine when I did before that happened.

I took mine off for 14 years, and just recently put them back on. I'm glad I'll be able to wear them as a retiree, if I ever play dress up again.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
JoBa
US Army Veteran

Post by JoBa »

KW Driver wrote:Not sure when, but I'd say late 90s, Corcoran sold out to Acme boot. I'm glad I got mine when I did before that happened.

I took mine off for 14 years, and just recently put them back on. I'm glad I'll be able to wear them as a retiree, if I ever play dress up again.
I wore size 10.5 D when I was in, now I wear size 11.5 D. My brother had a very serious foot problem from wearing a shoe size he had grown out of. I never knew your feet actually get larger in your later years. On his advise, I changed to the larger size, it made a huge difference.

Be careful wearing your old military boots when you get into your fifties and sixties, or have them stretched out to fit your new foot.

-John
CatFish Driver
Ranger

Post by CatFish Driver »

KW Driver wrote:Not sure when, but I'd say late 90s, Corcoran sold out to Acme boot. I'm glad I got mine when I did before that happened.

When do you officially call it quits?
Ranger School Class 08-02

"Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice, moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
--Senator Barry Goldwater
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

Assembling my packet when I get home from this trip.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

KW Driver wrote:Assembling my packet when I get home from this trip.
Are you going to hang it up at 20?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

I went over in Jul. but yes it's getting time to go.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

JoBa wrote:

I wore size 10.5 D when I was in, now I wear size 11.5 D. My brother had a very serious foot problem from wearing a shoe size he had grown out of. I never knew your feet actually get larger in your later years. On his advise, I changed to the larger size, it made a huge difference.

Be careful wearing your old military boots when you get into your fifties and sixties, or have them stretched out to fit your new foot.

-John
I was referring to the dress uniform, and wearing jump boots as part of that. But being the ex grunt at heart that I am, I always have, and will take care of my feet.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

Return to “About Army Physical Training”