Ruck Sack Weight

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Re: Ruck Sack Weight

Post by GoldCoast »

Now to the original question - Your rucksack should be approximately 35 pounds the first few weeks you practice rucking. Concentrate on walking quickly more than worrying about weight. Later, when 35 begins to feel light for 3-4 miles then step it up to 50. You can't train your body for the ass whoopin it takes when carrying a heavy ruck because you will just tear up all your joints in the process. Concentrate on building speed and endurance. That was your one and only freebie. Next time use the search button.
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

Duty a mountain; Death a feather.

One of these days I'll start off slow...
RAIDER
Embryo

Post by RAIDER »

Centermass I was here about rucksacks but it turned into to health debate. It is very possible that the Rangers were not eating properly as vegans. No one is perfect. I'm not going to let a few bad examples(of vegan being bad) destroy my chances of serving, when there's lots of great testimonies of going vegan. Eating a diet with meat hasn't helped me for the past 18.5 years, it's time to try something new. The vegetarian thing is working very well(even though people told me it wouldn't), so I'm gonna take the next step. I'll do this, I'll put what my highest PT scores are now, and after a month or two from being a vegan I'll post my new scores up.

1 min PU-45
1min SU-50
Pull ups-Pending(I'm going to the gym tomorrow; So I'll see)
5miles run-53mins
12miles march-pending
RMP-RLTW
Ranger

Post by RMP-RLTW »

Now all you need is attention to detail and APPLYING advice given freely. As RANGER Goldcoast stated, this question has been asked numerous times and answered as well. Use the search button. Further, address all RANGERs on this sight with the title they have EARNED. I assure you that none of us achieved the title with the attitude you have shown on this thread.

Ryan
RLTW!
B co.3/75 99-02
OEF Vet
Mala Malis Facimus
RAIDER
Embryo

Post by RAIDER »

Ranger Goldcast/RangerTough/Ranger Sleepy Doc, thank you for answering my question.
man_on_mission40
Embryo

Post by man_on_mission40 »

roger that Ranger GoldCoast
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

My response to rucking is: "What is the EIB standard?" It is a standard pack weighing at least 35 lb. and the standard is 12 miles in under three hours.
more about the EIB:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expert_Infantryman_Badge
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
RAIDER
Embryo

Post by RAIDER »

My 5 mile run time decreased to 47 minutes. I'm still training hard and strong.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

RAIDER wrote:My 5 mile run time decreased to 47 minutes. I'm still training hard and strong.
You are ignoring the question you raised. Please don't waste my time.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
RAIDER
Embryo

Post by RAIDER »

Hello Ranger Jim

I'm not ignoring anything, I will soon start adding in ruck training when I get paid next week. Until then I can't really do any rucking.
GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Post by GoldCoast »

Regimental standard when I was there was 55-65 lbs (training) or more (when mission essential) at a fifteen minute mile pace for whatever distance was necessary (normally less than 20 miles). The fifteen minute mile pace normally included a five to ten minute break per hour, so the actual walking pace was closer to 13ish minutes per mile. That is the road pace; through the wood line will be much slower. I think the standard there is three to four kilometers per hour with the same weight. It is necessary to get better at walking fast for distance before increasing weight. Once you can actually walk twelve miles then worry about raising your weight. Go twice a week on the same night for a short-ish ruck (i.e. Mondays and Thursdays for eight miles) and a long-ish ruck (12 or so) on Saturdays that way it becomes a habit. Never run. Take longer steps, faster steps, whatever it takes, but avoid running as much as possible. If your shoulders, arms, hands, back etc go numb deal with it. Wiggle your ruck around on your back, swing you arms differently, whatever you need to do. It's the price of greatness. Once you can walk twelve miles in around 2:45 with a 55 lb ruck drop down to once or twice a week. Rucking is very hard on your body, and you CAN over-do it.
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Post by GoldCoast »

Don't go spend a jillion dollars on cool guy ruck sack mods when you can't even use the basic one yet. A large ALICE pack from a surplus store/website will serve your purpose perfectly. I tend to only use my waist belt if my ruck is over a hundred pounds because I can't stand it wrapped around my abdomen, but try it both ways to see what suites you. Both ways are acceptable. Ranger Lunch's suggestion to use bird seed is fantastic.

EDITED TO ADD: Shop around to get the cheapest price. Different shops have different prices at different times, and I'm not going to do your shopping for you. Ensure the ruck has a frame, straps, the ruck itself and a kidney pad. Don't just go off the picture. There are tons of places that sell them cheap as hell used. Don't be afraid to buy a used one.
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

RMP-RLTW
Ranger

Post by RMP-RLTW »

http://stores.alleghenywholesale.com/-s ... gories.bok

I have ordered from them in the past for a BOB. shipping is a bit high but you may see some other things that could e useful for your preparation.

Ryan
RLTW!
B co.3/75 99-02
OEF Vet
Mala Malis Facimus

Return to “About Army Physical Training”