Innovative RIP Training

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Spartan

Innovative RIP Training

Post by Spartan »

When I went through RIP, back in '84 we had some pretty creative RIP instructors. I recall one kid that showed up with a profile (for you non-service personnel this is a 'get out of PT card' issued by medical personnel to lamo's who go to see a medic with a 'my pussy hurts' story) that read "no marching, no standing for extended periods of time, no PT, no running, etc..." Pretty much an 'Its ok if this kid breathes 02 and that's about it' profile.

So here we are on holdover status prior to RIP beginning and this NCO is giving us PT in the AM. The kid shows up with his profile and the RIP instructor reads it aloud then announces "It doesn't say anything about not charging batteries here". And he orders the kid over to the battery charger and the kid has to keep charging the battery the entire time the rest of are doing PT, like about 40 minutes or so. That was friggin great and we laughed our asses off at his predicament and of course he ended up quitting as everyone knew he would. Everytime the pitch on that charger changed he had to pick it up a notch and get it moving again. The funny thing is that the slower you go, the harder it is to crank and the kid was a slug and he just made it harder on himself by going slow. What a turd.

Any rate - just one of the funny things that RIP instructors come up with to amuse themselves and torment the Rippies. The possiblities of course are endless and it would be great to hear just one example of the amusing and innovative things they're doing today or that others experienced/witnessed.
Morris0352
Ranger

Post by Morris0352 »

Strider have you ever played a sport??? Through my 7 years of football, all I would hear is "OWWW my ____(insert body part) hurts, I can't go anymore" Sometimes it was legitimate but most of the time people were lazy and didn't want to hit or get into the action. Some people just stand in the back of the line so that they'll go through the pain/fun the least. I think that a lot of people joined the football team so that they could be called "A football player" I however did not, i showed up to play and work my ass off. I think that it's kind of the same way with the Rangers. People are looking for the quickest, easiest, one answer way to get in just so that they can tell people that they were Rangers. In my opinion the name means nothing unless you've busted your balls to get there.
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

It's great that you two have taken the time to share with everyone how much PT you've done, are going to do, how much being a Ranger may mean to you etc.... I've no doubt you're sincere. But it gets a bit tiring reading the same old good intentions - I'm sure trying hard - posts day in and day out.

What I had asked, was if anyone else who has Been There and Done That had experienced any other 'innovative training'.

To be honest, you guys don't have a clue what you have in store for you. This may or may not give you a bit of a cross-section on what may or may not occur and this is the time for you to be readers and not writers. The fact is, EVERY RIP class is different, depending on a variety of factors and you're going to be taken to total muscle failure no matter what kind of a stud you think you are or no matter how well you're preparing for it.
Sniper

Post by Sniper »

Not so much as innovative training as yours pneves but none the less a very important situation that happened in my RIP class.

We were doing our 12mile Road march, so we set off from the barracks at O dark 30 so about 4 or 5 miles in this shit bird from E-5 obviously NON TABBED said he needed to take a shit, so the RIP instructors tell him to hurry up and go into the woodline and shit.

well about a mile later everyone was like were is so and so. cadre looking for him, so the road march stops, drinking water filling up cateens while cadre talk over what to do.

Well road march continues and the duece and a half goes back to look for him . we finally end up back in the RIP compound and are in the PT filed . We are all stretching out in formation when low and behold shitbird comes humping up from across the RIP compound and since the cadre never did find him when they went back well he was in for our form of "INNOVATIVE PT"

The 1sgt no less came out and this shit birds RIP days were over but not before the smoking of which SATAN himslef would have been proud of......they had this guy in a handstand positon up against the fence that separated the RIP area and 3rd BN you know that ugly ass brown fence and they were making him do push ups with rucksack on while the 1sgt sat in a chair right in front of him making him push. I mean we all went back inside cleaned barracks ate chow and got into formation for the rest of training that day and wouldn't you know the turd was out there still crying like a little baby till he finally said I QUIT, with that 1sgt told him to get down and told him thanks for quitting because he didn't want a fucktard like him in BN nor graduating while he was in command.
VEGA175

Post by VEGA175 »

to make a short story long
My Pre Ranger cadre were almost all the same guys that I had RIP
and they came up with one good smoke session for the whole class
they were giving us the standard high crawl ,low crawl ,push ups ,flutter kicks etc... on that field behind the barricks (not the soccer field the other side) no big deal .then they got us all to one side and had us roll left down the whole field then they had us roll right all the way back. then they tried to carry on with the smoke . you couln't tell which way was up from being so dizzy so nobody could do any push-ups that really made them mad. they then tried to get us into formation guys were puking and falling down looking back it was hysterical .then one of the instructors finds a 2qt. that got dropped. no one claimed it so he threw it at the formation it hits this guy in the last rank right in the head and takes him down. it dont think it ko'd him but he was so dizzy he couldn't get back up. I thought that was pretty innovative
Ranger
Ranger/Admin

Split from Main Topic

Post by Ranger »

The thread about an active duty Ranger that followed Ranger Vega's post can be found in Minor Mayhem, assuming you are so authorized.
DO NOT PM ME
rbarger
Ranger

Post by rbarger »

When I was a Pre-Ranger instructor we had a class that decided that they could come up with their own SOP. They all put their boots on top of their wall lockers dress right dress. Looked OK, but that was not the SOP. While they were in class we threw all their boots in one room and then gave them 5 minutes to go up and get there boots and put them in there wall locker. Needless to say, nobody got their correct boots or size. The next roadmarch was very interesting. :lol: Quick lesson for future Rippies and Pre-Ranger students. Never leave your wall locker unlocked.
B. Co. 3/75 88-92
RIP Det. 75th Regt. 92-93
C. Co. 3/75 93-95
RafterMan
Tadpole

Post by RafterMan »

rbarger wrote:When I was a Pre-Ranger instructor we had a class that decided that they could come up with their own SOP. They all put their boots on top of their wall lockers dress right dress. Looked OK, but that was not the SOP. While they were in class we threw all their boots in one room and then gave them 5 minutes to go up and get there boots and put them in there wall locker. Needless to say, nobody got their correct boots or size. The next roadmarch was very interesting. :lol: Quick lesson for future Rippies and Pre-Ranger students. Never leave your wall locker unlocked.
Like GySgt. Hartman said in FMJ " If there's one thing i hate in this world, it is an unlocked foot-(in this case wall) locker!!" :lol:
VEGA175

Post by VEGA175 »

rbarger wrote:When I was a Pre-Ranger instructor we had a class that decided that they could come up with their own SOP. They all put their boots on top of their wall lockers dress right dress. Looked OK, but that was not the SOP. While they were in class we threw all their boots in one room and then gave them 5 minutes to go up and get there boots and put them in there wall locker. Needless to say, nobody got their correct boots or size. The next roadmarch was very interesting. :lol: Quick lesson for future Rippies and Pre-Ranger students. Never leave your wall locker unlocked.

do you recall what class that was or about what month?

(note the class date)
rbarger
Ranger

Post by rbarger »

It could've been around when you went through. I got there in Aug. 92.
B. Co. 3/75 88-92
RIP Det. 75th Regt. 92-93
C. Co. 3/75 93-95
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

I remember in my RIP class, there was another guy with my same last name. It's not a very common name by any means and having to PV2's, in the same class, really got the funny bone of all the cadre. I mean, this guy and I even looked alike. Turns out we were related, but that's another story. Can't exactly remember all the stupid shit they made him and I do together, but I do remember one instructor asking us if we were related. At this point, we didn't know. So we answer (in unison) "Negative Sarn't!". So he looks at the both of us for a minute or so and finally states "I would've been you're daddy if the goat hadn't beat to your momma, shitbirds. Disappear." Hmmm....So anyway, this dude and I ended up in the same company together and guess what? Turns out he's a complete turd. Always bouncing checks, shit like that. Well the !SG reads the last name, looks on the alpha roster and since my first name came before this other guy, immediately requests my hide. That was kind of rambling, but the underlying moral is this: You just have no clue what's going to happen in RIP (or Pre-Ranger for that matter). Some shit happens that exists in no model of the universe and you just have to deal with it.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA

Return to “About Army Physical Training”