Weight Lifting to increase Push Ups?

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Cisco4711
US Army

Weight Lifting to increase Push Ups?

Post by Cisco4711 »

Rangers,

Some say doing Calistenics is the recommended routine to increase Push ups, while some say to do PU and weight lifting to increase PU.
I was wondering what you all thought?
173rd Airborne Brigade Combat Team
Feb 2010- Present
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Re: Weight Lifting to increase Push Ups?

Post by Flesh Thorn »

In my experience, lifting weights may help up to a point, but the two are totally different. Bench presses and push ups seem to be a lot alike, but the push up is more complex. When you bench press your shoulder blades are all but locked into place and your body remains in place while you move the weight with your arms and shoulders. When you do push ups you are moving your body and this requires your shoulder blades to articulate as well as your core muscles to activate to keep your body in line. Some may suggest doing bench presses with lower weight and more reps, but if you are going to do that then you are just as well to stick with push ups. There are variations of push ups that you can experiment with like elevated, plyometric, one arm, hindu, dive bomber, etc. Just remember that no matter what you do you are going to be tested on the military push up and practice makes perfect. Also, I have noticed that doing the Eight Count Body Builder makes regular push ups seem easier after a while.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
mortar_guy78
Ranger

Post by mortar_guy78 »

Burpees. Lot and lots of burpees.
HHC 4/64 AR '97-'99
HHC 1/75 RGR '99-'01
HHC 1/508 ABCT '01-'04
C co, HHC 2/1 IN '04-'07
C co, B co 1/24 IN '07-'11
D co 308th MI '12-'15
7th SFG(A) MICO '15-'18
C co 308th MI '18-Present

Keep your mind in hell and despair not.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
shootingman99
Embryo

Post by shootingman99 »

Well I can say that I have done only lifting for a while now with not much pushups and my pushup numbers only suffered. I was 6 foot 170 really skinny and could do just over 90 solid pushups in 2 minutes and 59 solid pushups in one minute, but after the lifting I am 6 foot 195 and could only maybe knock out 60-70 pushups in 2 minutes. Building upper body strength with lifting will also increase your upper body weight, and that makes situps much harder. I would say not much weight work. Problem is I am addicted to lifting and getting stronger, so it's very hard to stop and if you are lifting 4 days a week it becomes hard to fit cardio and bodyweight pt in there
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

I agree with Ranger shootingman99. If you're strong enough to knock out 25 or more pushups, iron isn't going to help much. Do more pushups. There is a thread here on improvng pushup performance. Search for it...
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Cisco4711
US Army

Post by Cisco4711 »

Hooah Ranger Bill!
173rd Airborne Brigade Combat Team
Feb 2010- Present
Flemming
Egg

Post by Flemming »

I have discussed this with a trainer and he suggested me some exercises like Bench press,
decline Bench press, Incline Bench press dimmer, Bench press dimmer and flying machine. These exercises are best for health and can increase stamina.
Flemming
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Flemming wrote:I have discussed this with a trainer and he suggested me some exercises like Bench press,
decline Bench press, Incline Bench press dimmer, Bench press dimmer and flying machine. These exercises are best for health and can increase stamina.
Who authorized you to post here without 1st making an introduction or reading our FAQ's (all of them).
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
scar
Ranger

Post by scar »

The best exercise to improve push ups is push ups, bottom line. Knock out a 2 minute drill then wait a minute, knock out 50, 1 min rest then 40, and so on down to 10.

once you can do this with ease, bump up the number on your first set
3/75 C 1-1

RS 01-10
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

Hittin' the iron will make you stronger and eventually, larger. Doing pushups will help you "do more pushups". The good old US Army has been doing it much longer than anyone here and they have had it right all along. It's called (take notes here) "PUSH UP IMPROVEMENT".

SCAR's recommendation is excellent, here is another:

DO Three Sets three times a week, one day of rest in between, weekends off to recuperate:

I st set, Max effort in 2 minutes, rest one minute
2nd set, Max effort 1 minute, rest one minute
3rd set, Max effort 30-45 seconds

At the end of this do full body dips, 3 sets, max effort, one minute rest between sets.

This workout and close proximity is and shall forever be the way to go! After you have reached your goal then trim this back and add weight training, one day heavy (weights), one day light (PU Improvement) - 2 days weights, 1 day PUs. Periodically change this up, keep your body guessing. Best of luck!
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"

Return to “About Army Physical Training”