What type of shoes?

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
NeverSayDie
Tadpole

What type of shoes?

Post by NeverSayDie »

Rangers,

My old pair of sneakers have gotten ragged and I've decided to throw them away and get a new pair. I thought about some flashy racing shoes when I had a visit from the good Idea fairy:

Since I read it was good for preparing RS students to brake in a pair of DOD approved boots so there foot could get used to the structure of the boot, why not get a pair of shoes identicle to what I'll be wearing on runs from Reception to RASP?

any sense behind the thought? If not what type of footwear should I get?
Mentee to Ranger K.Ingraham

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"
Cisco4711
US Army

Re: What type of shoes?

Post by Cisco4711 »

NeverSayDie,

Wether or not to use running shoes or boots is out of my lane;
but if you do decide to get running shoes,I'd recommend the UK Gear shoes. Their tested and worn by the British military and were recently approved the the Geman and US Army for wear. They go for $105 for commercial purchase,but if you e-mail the lady at "military sales" she can hook you up with the US Army Military Edition for $75 shipped. I've read nothing negative about them and their endorsed by a few reputable people. I currently own a pair as I recieved them last week; currently have 20 miles on them and they feel Great!

They also give you 21 days to try them on and can return them if your not satisfied with their product,minus shipping of course

PM me if you got questions about the shoe
173rd Airborne Brigade Combat Team
Feb 2010- Present
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

Go to a compitent running store (looks like Finger Laker Running and Triathlon is in your AO). Have them do a gait analysis and select the right shoe for you. You need a good, quality pair of running shoes - color and brand is immaterial. If I were you, and you can afford to, I'd get 2 or 3 pairs of the same shoe and rotate them. That way wet shoes, wear, or losing one will never slow you down. Plus, you'll get a longer life out of all of them. Running shoes are an essential piece of gear in the Army, treat them like any other mission essential item.

Don't worry about the boots. The Army will give you some and show you how to break them in. You need running shoes and you need to get them well worn in.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Do as Pocketkings says. You already walk everywhere and work on your feet so you got the calluse thing knocked well enough.
BTW, the best shoes in the world are for shit if you are not effen' RUNNING every day.
Regardless of work demands.

(I'll call soon, brother in law having heart surgery right now, more stuff every day it seems! :roll: )
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
NeverSayDie
Tadpole

Post by NeverSayDie »

K.Ingraham wrote:Do as Pocketkings says. You already walk everywhere and work on your feet so you got the calluse thing knocked well enough.
BTW, the best shoes in the world are for shit if you are not effen' RUNNING every day.
Regardless of work demands.

(I'll call soon, brother in law having heart surgery right now, more stuff every day it seems! :roll: )
Roger Ranger Ingraham,

todays my day off with work so I did a 2 mile in my work boots, still slow as ever but with the proper hydration, I'm not experiencing those previous problem. Thanks for calling mom about getting on me to run more. (if full metal jacket was anything close to the reality... she could be a Marine Core DS NO PROBLEM :D)

Sorry to hear about the family issues, those are always a kick in the balls. Is he doing heart bypass? the reason I ask is my uncle goerge had like 5 of those before he passed. still got some of the pamphlets around here somewhere.

NeverSayDie
Tadpole

Post by NeverSayDie »

PocketKings wrote:Go to a compitent running store (looks like Finger Laker Running and Triathlon is in your AO). Have them do a gait analysis and select the right shoe for you. You need a good, quality pair of running shoes - color and brand is immaterial. If I were you, and you can afford to, I'd get 2 or 3 pairs of the same shoe and rotate them. That way wet shoes, wear, or losing one will never slow you down. Plus, you'll get a longer life out of all of them. Running shoes are an essential piece of gear in the Army, treat them like any other mission essential item.

Don't worry about the boots. The Army will give you some and show you how to break them in. You need running shoes and you need to get them well worn in.
Roger and Thanks for the great advice Ranger PocketKings. I understand that they make you buy all new gear at basic, but by doing the gait anylasis, I'll know exactly what kind of sneakers to get, plus have spares for AIT, BAC, and RASP. AWSOME.

Anything else that I can do as far as training my feet go? I hear alot about bitch feet and as mentioned by Ranger Ingraham, I'm calloused pretty good, but if theres anything I can do to adapt them to Rangering(improve toughness and prevent devolping those horrid molting things I saw in the Ranger School YouTube video) I'll do it. I heard alot about this shit you brush onto the pads and heels of your feet that are supposed to make them superhumanley hard... should I use that before shipping out, or no? what are its advantages/setbacks?

Also is there anything I should specifically avoid that will be bad for my feet, that will pamper/damage them?

PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

No techniques other than use. Just run. When you get blisters, take some time to let them heal, then get back to it. Be careful you don't build up callouses over your blisters; the resulting tear hurts and takes away all of that hard work.

Just go out and run for a long time. You don't even have to cover a specific distance - you can do 3 x S...L...O...W miles in an hour or rip off 10 miles, the point is to be on your feet, pounding for a certain amount of time. Other sports with lateral movement (basketball, soccer, tennis, etc) help build up the feet and your ligaments for action other than just running.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
NeverSayDie
Tadpole

Post by NeverSayDie »

PocketKings wrote:No techniques other than use. Just run. When you get blisters, take some time to let them heal, then get back to it. Be careful you don't build up callouses over your blisters; the resulting tear hurts and takes away all of that hard work.

Just go out and run for a long time. You don't even have to cover a specific distance - you can do 3 x S...L...O...W miles in an hour or rip off 10 miles, the point is to be on your feet, pounding for a certain amount of time. Other sports with lateral movement (basketball, soccer, tennis, etc) help build up the feet and your ligaments for action other than just running.
Ranger PocketKings,

By building up callouses over my blisters, you dont, mean where the blister's repeatedly appear and harden in the same place cuasing thicker layers that get harder and more rubberish, with less sensation to the touch, do you? wait callouses tear off :shock: ??

PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

That's exactly what I mean. If you get a blister, say on the pad of your foot, and you don't let it heal properly - drain it, let it harden, and dry out - then you can keep the fluid under the skin and develop a callous right on top. Then, one day, that blister WILL tear and you'll not only have the equivalent of a first degree burn on your foot, but you'll also lose your hard earned callous. It happens to a lot of young soldiers with soft feet who jump right into training and don't take the time (or CAN'T take the time) to let the blister heal properly.

I saw it a ton in RS and with my cherry privates (and LTs).
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
NeverSayDie
Tadpole

Post by NeverSayDie »

PocketKings wrote:That's exactly what I mean. If you get a blister, say on the pad of your foot, and you don't let it heal properly - drain it, let it harden, and dry out - then you can keep the fluid under the skin and develop a callous right on top. Then, one day, that blister WILL tear and you'll not only have the equivalent of a first degree burn on your foot, but you'll also lose your hard earned callous. It happens to a lot of young soldiers with soft feet who jump right into training and don't take the time (or CAN'T take the time) to let the blister heal properly.

I saw it a ton in RS and with my cherry privates (and LTs).
Ranger PocketKings,

I just checked my feet for these little bastards and found 3. on my left foot is a small one on the outside portion of my big toe, on the right foot are two larger ones one directly on top of the other... what do I do pop'em with a needle or somethin?

PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

I'm not a doctor...but that's what I do.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
NeverSayDie
Tadpole

Post by NeverSayDie »

PocketKings wrote:I'm not a doctor...but that's what I do.
Ranger PocketKings,

I come from a long line of people who dont trust civi doctors. they always find somthing expensive wrong with you :D (quote from my mom). if theres no reason to believe that is life or service threatening I'm just gonna handle it on my own, and do what you do.

Return to “About Army Physical Training”