How many pushups???

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Carboned114
Tadpole

Post by Carboned114 »

Alonso - Why dont you READ over the board before asking questions like this one. You will be pushed no matter how prepared you are.

Got it?
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Do you mean in RIP total, per hour, or per day? Or perhaps you mean while inside the CS test chamber after we take our masks off?

Oh, my bad - didn't mean to scare you kids.
rbarger
Ranger

Post by rbarger »

B. Co. 3/75 88-92
RIP Det. 75th Regt. 92-93
C. Co. 3/75 93-95
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

The question is almost impossible to answer. There is no way I could accurately know how many pushups I did per day, on the average, while in RIP.

It would be a lot easier to determine how many minutes in a given day your were doing pushups. Given that every man will perform the pushup exercise at a different rate, we will each do a different amount of reps within a given timeframe.

Having said that, there are 1440 minutes in a day. Lets assume that you spend 10% of your time in RIP in the front leaning rest:

1440 x 10% = 144 minutes per day spent in the front leaning rest.

Lets also assume that your are of average physical and mental fitness, and can perform 45 pushups per minute.

45 pushups x 144 minutes = 6,480 pushups per day.

Now, do you really think that you will be doing pushups ONLY 10% of the time while in RIP?

Are you shitting your pants yet? If not, you will. I promise you.

You boys are gonna be strong. Really strong. That's all you need to know and/or worry about. Sure you can try to prepare, and should be commended for wanting to, but there is NO WAY you can totally prepare yourself for RIP. It is designed to be a kick in the nuts. Your body will be pushed to failure. The question that needs to be answered is what happens to your mind when your body quits. And there is NO WAY 99% of the civilian population can answer that, because they have never pushed their body (of had their bodies pushed) to total failure yet.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

Oh, I almost forgot. The above estimates were per day.

RIP is three weeks long.

6,480 pushups/day (est.) x 21 days = 136,080 pushups (est) during RIP

If you are a dumbass, and can't listen to instructions - double that.

136,080 pushups x 2 (for the dumbasses) = 272,160 pushups during RIP

Are you boys sure you want to be one of us?

If so, I would like to pose another question for you? We have addressed pushups, but what about flutter kicks? Grass drills? Iron chair? Indian thinking position (my personal fav)? Iron Mikes? C-130s? Mountain climbers? Meters low crawled? Dying cockroaches (SP?)? Mad hatters? And any other God forsaken, mentally twisted exercise the cadre can dream up?

Starting to get the picture yet?

Ok, ok, ok. In all fairness, I don't remember doing 300,000 pushups in RIP. All I know is your body will be in a constant state of motion for three solid weeks. And these "estimates" while exagerated a bit, are not grossly off the mark.

Let's put it this way, you will do so many pushups etc., you will begin thinking in time, instead of reps. You will have quit counting reps a few thousand reps ago.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

Roger, Sarnt'. Just call me Arvid, or some stupid geeky name like that, seeing as I'm a desk jockey now.

Just showing the kiddies how much a waste of time estimating pushups will be.

1000 pushups in one day for a few ounces of water. There ain't nothing like that one on one time with the cadre to build one's character!

I always hated the smoke sessions that were subject to time, and you (the Rippie) decided how long it would last. Just like the day Sgt. Oaks put us all in the indian thinking position on the basketball court, told us that we were "heavy", and had to drop three people. He said we would stay like "this", and "think" about who would be the ones to leave.

And yes, we did drop three people. Two passed out, one quit. The rest of us walked around with 1st degree burns on our foreheads for the next few days. I'm sure the Army is more civilized now, though, and would never allow the cadre to use such barbaric methods :wink: .
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

It's probably not really a stupid question, since you know nothing about RIP. As you can see from the responses, however, it is an impossible question to answer. Bottom line is this: get in the best physical and mental shape that you possibly can....you're still going to get totally smoked if and when you get there, but at least you'll have a slight edge over the other guys. RIP is a butt-kicker, no matter who you are.
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Tankkiller275
Ranger

Post by Tankkiller275 »

I've noticed alot of guys asking questions about the physical requirements of being a Ranger, from basic on through to Batt. Although it is very important to be strong, and have endurance, the one key factor in determining sucess or failure is the individual mind. Instead of asking how many miles should I run, or how many push-ups/sit-ups/pull-ups should I do, run until you think you can't run anymore, and then run to the next light pole. The next day run to the light pole after that - maybe sprint a few poles as well. Do as many push-ups/sit-ups/pull-ups as you can, and then do five more or so. I promise your body can do a hell of a lot more than you think it can!

RLTW
A Co. 2/75, WPN's Plt - Ratbastard, A-T 90-93, Class 8-91

"I will not disgrace the soldier's arms, nor abandon the comrade who stands by my side, but whether alone or with many, I will fight to defend things sacred and profane. I will hand down my country not lessened, but larger and better than I have received it."
Ancient Athenian Oath
Vee
Ranger

Post by Vee »

August-O TwentyFive-O wrote:Looks like I got alot more work to do to prepare for such a kick in the nuts aside from the kicks I'm gettting from Ranger Saltbitch
yer fucking clueless
RSD 96-99

Return to “About Army Physical Training”