Looking for FLRC/team building exercise suggestions

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Trigger
Tadpole

Looking for FLRC/team building exercise suggestions

Post by Trigger »

Greetings Rangers,

I know this isn't directly related to PT, but this forum seems to be the closest match to this subject.

I was passed on an e-mail by Cadre from the cheer and dance team coaches at my university to ask if we could run some sort of team building training between the cheerleaders and the dancers. I know, hard life, huh? :mrgreen:

Talking with the Lieutenant Colonel, we're basically going to be putting on a three hour FLRC type course. We have a few ideas of some things to do, but we're struggling to come up with three hours worth of good stuff (well, appropriate stuff anyways. I have plenty of ideas for some "follow on training"...) with what we have available to us (empty grass field, rope, boards, cinder blocks, engineer tape, a litter, water jugs).

The ideas I have so far are:

- The human knot (where about 5-6 people stand in a circle, grab the hands of two different people across from you, and then the group must manipulate itself to undo the knot).

- Rope knot. I'm planning on take about a 50 feet of rope and tying a few knots in it, about 15 feet apart, and then using engineer tape to tie the girls to the rope. They would then have to untie the knots in the rope without untying themselves from the rope. Maybe blind fold them as well.

- Blind litter carry across a minefield/through a track of cones. Blindfold everyone and designate one person to control those carrying the litter. Maybe put a time crunch on it, maybe an obstacle of some sort.

Any ideas that can be accomplished with the resources available or easily/cheaply obtainable would be greatly appreciated. Will post pictures afterwards.

- Trigger
"A golf course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range." - Lt. Col. Jeff Cooper (ret).
panthersix
Ranger

Re: Looking for FLRC/team building exercise suggestions

Post by panthersix »

CHEERLEADERS!

King of the pit in a huge mud pit! I don't know about team building but it'll definitely be good for your morale! :)
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Trigger
Tadpole

Post by Trigger »

. wrote:Do you have access to any of the following: sandbags, 5gal water cans, 8ft steel poles, ammo cans, mortar ammo boxes, willys jeep trailers, willys jeep tires w/ rims, numerous 10 ft sections of 120 military rope.
Ranger .,

Sandbags - Yes. Don't have any right now, but they're cheap.

5 gal. water cans - Yes. We have about 20 of them.

8 foot steel poles - No

Ammo cans - One .50 cal and two 5.56 cans (I'd have to dump my ammo out of them)

Mortar ammo boxes - No

Willy Jeep trailer - No

Willy Jeep tires - No

Rope - Maybe. I know I will be able to get rope through supply; but I don't know whether they'll get me actual military rope or just go down to home depot and buy rope.

- Trigger
"A golf course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range." - Lt. Col. Jeff Cooper (ret).
Trigger
Tadpole

Post by Trigger »

panthersix wrote:CHEERLEADERS!

King of the pit in a huge mud pit! I don't know about team building but it'll definitely be good for your morale! :)
Ranger Panther Six,

I will throw out the idea of a bear pit and see if it sticks. That would be awesome.
:mrgreen:
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

Seriously though, just split them into small teams of 4 or 5 and then develop a cross country obstacle course. Throw in a rope bridge or two and that should take a few hours. The obstacles need to be things like outbuildings and tall fences that they need to work as a team to negotiate.

Maybe pushing a car a certain distance, etc., you get my drift. The winning team doesn't have to get in the pit... :P
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Trigger
Tadpole

Post by Trigger »

panthersix wrote:Seriously though, just split them into small teams of 4 or 5 and then develop a cross country obstacle course. Throw in a rope bridge or two and that should take a few hours. The obstacles need to be things like outbuildings and tall fences that they need to work as a team to negotiate.

Maybe pushing a car a certain distance, etc., you get my drift. The winning team doesn't have to get in the pit... :P
Ranger Panthersix,

Not sure if the campus or cadre will be okay with climbing on buildings and fences, but the rope bridge sounds like a good idea. I would build it, that way I'd know it was safe. Would also personally inspect all their swiss seats. :D
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

I'd still run them all around campus and have the low crawl and other events as a team. Is there a fitness trail nearby? Maybe have a tug of war over a mud pit? I'm sure the firemen will help you build some mud pits for the events!

You can change leaders at each event. Maybe just do a Collegiate Leaders Reaction Course where each teams gets a stack of envelopes and each envelope has some quiz like in "The Great Race" tv show? Only each quiz is related to some place on campus. Start indoors at the library and see how good the cheerleaders are at using the dewey decimal system...bwahaha.

Or just round up your Corps cadre/ncos and let them each do a station. 3 hours is a long time though, about 26 miles for a marathon...or twelve 15 minute challenges I guess. Knock it back to 10 challenges and have your station cadre at each challenge time them individually and TAKE PIX.
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08

Return to “About Army Physical Training”