Bad Knees, need advice

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
2DenY
Inprocessing

Bad Knees, need advice

Post by 2DenY »

Rangers, Veterans, and DEPS

My knees have been killing me lately; I can’t run anymore with it hurting like hell, nor do leg workouts. And they hurt even when I walk now…and I just found out that its heretic (Dads side of the family has bad knees including him, and his dad can’t walk no more!). And it has to be my knees, out of every joint, just had to be bad knees, and you need knees to run or move, it’s like taking the wheels of a car. This is really a bummer; I just do jump rope for right now. I just purchased some knee braces and it kind of works...

If this is what it is, then I will just live with it and compromise, I have a few Questions.

1) How will this affect my training?

2) Did Any Rangers have problems and still passed with out problems?

3) Will I be kicked out if I say anything or show that my knee hurts in training?

4) Can I wear knee braces in training?

5) Is there anyway around this?

I really need advice, there is no way I will quite, and I need to silence my knees.

I will probably get smoked for some reason but it’s worth it.
Jan2009 - Dec2012 1/75
RS 02-11

Group with the motivated
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Joint supplements might help. Condroitan, etc. You might also try DMSO. If it hurts bad now, you'll REALLY be fucked in training.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

What exercise have you been doing? How far were you running, how often? Whe did these pains begin? You may have just overdone things before your joints, tendons, ligaments and muscles were able to handle it. Injuries are often the result of starting a running program following the advice of "run till you drop or puke, run every day, twice a day, run 10 miles." When you have injuries, you must allow them time to heal or they will become chronic and serious. After they are healed, you have to start out slow and gradulally increase intensity, duration and frequency.

Do not do any exercises involving your knees until they heal. Quit jumping rope. Use those knoee braces only to support normal walking while your knees heal. If your pain is that bad, see an orthopedic surgeaon who specializes in sports medicine.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
2DenY
Inprocessing

Post by 2DenY »

Roger that Ranger Slowpoke

Ranger Bill,

I run 3-4 times per week about 2-4 miles. The pains started about 3 weeks ago when I ran 4 miles fast cross country in about 34 minutes then did squats after that. Then the pain began so I thought it was just a minor injury, and waited till I thought it had healed, and then the pain came again after I ran a mile, and now the pain is there regardless. Ranger Bill I don’t have health insurance right now, because I am only a part time student and work part time, I have to be full time student or full time job. And by the time I get it, I will already be shipping out.
Jan2009 - Dec2012 1/75
RS 02-11

Group with the motivated
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

My advice: Go see a doctor and get treated for whatever is wrong!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
2DenY
Inprocessing

Post by 2DenY »

Ranger Silverback I can’t, the whole health insurance dilemma, I would be paying out of the ass, and I am no where close to being rich to just pay up front with out some coverage. Can I run with Painkillers, like vicodin? Also do they allow knee braces when you shipout?
Jan2009 - Dec2012 1/75
RS 02-11

Group with the motivated
Charlie 51
Ranger

Post by Charlie 51 »

2DenY wrote:Roger that Ranger Slowpoke

Ranger Bill,

I run 3-4 times per week about 2-4 miles. The pains started about 3 weeks ago when I ran 4 miles fast cross country in about 34 minutes then did squats after that. Then the pain began so I thought it was just a minor injury, and waited till I thought it had healed, and then the pain came again after I ran a mile, and now the pain is there regardless. Ranger Bill I don’t have health insurance right now, because I am only a part time student and work part time, I have to be full time student or full time job. And by the time I get it, I will already be shipping out.
Not to be a complete dick here but 34 minutes is dog ass slow for 4 miles. 24 minutes is fast. If you cannot run at least 8 minute miles for 5 miles you will not make it even without knee pain.

I concur with the sage advice you have already recieved. you need to get your knees checked out. You will not make it where you want to go with severe knee pain that is probably the result of something serious. Are you carrying extra weight? are you running on old shoes?

If there is a Fleet Feet store or other good running store in your area you might pop in and ask them what you can do. There are many running Jedi's out there that may be able to help you for free. My local running store has a Wednesday run every week, in this run there are several docs and physical therapists that I have asked questions to in the past. Good way to get free professional advice.
C Co 2/75 Weapons
Classes 4-5/93

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there" - Will Rogers
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Do not run with pain killers. You will only mask the pain of doing more damage to your body. You must rest. Go to an emergency room at a large hospital. Tell them you did some running and the pain is killing you, that you can barely walk. That you have no money and no insurance. They should at least take x-rays and a doctor should check you out. You have to do something. If you ship out the way you are now, you will not make it through the first few weeks of your initial entry training and will be medically discharged. If you do nothing else, rest your legs and pray.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
2DenY
Inprocessing

Post by 2DenY »

Undestood Rangers.
Jan2009 - Dec2012 1/75
RS 02-11

Group with the motivated
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

You could have something as simple as a muscle imbalance causing your knee caps to track crooked, but it will take a professional to diagnosis and to treat.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

Tater Nuts wrote:Stay off your knees.
hehe...Try suckin' dick in a seated position or not at all, if you think you can kick the habbit. j/k

Seriously, you need to go see a doctor. You can go to something like Express Care, it's not too expensive. You probably won't see a Sports Medicine doc, but it's better than nothing. You'll get a referral to the right kind of doc. It might seem like a lot of money and a waste, but, I'm 'tellin' you now, you do not want to start compounding medical issues and continuing to train. You'll pay in the long run.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
EyesWideOpen
Tadpole

Knees Please!

Post by EyesWideOpen »

Silverback wrote:My advice: Go see a doctor and get treated for whatever is wrong!
As with any main joint in your body....knees, elbows, hips, ankles...etc...when they hurt, your whole body is off.

I agree with Ranger Silverback, go see a doc and get sometype of evaluation. Ice and heat on the joints before bed helps to eleviate the pain for me a bunch. You could be over training an already injured muscle or joint which is just aggrivating the whole matter.
EyesWideOpen

Mantra: Never walk into the Dark with your eyes shut...always walk into any and all situations with your Eyes Wide Open!!! Or get f_cked!

"Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it."
Benajmin Franklin
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

Buy new shoes, Seriously. Suprisingly a lot of knee pain from running is caused by old worn out shoes
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Unless you have a condition that you were born with or have a history of traumatic knee injuries, you are too young to have serious knee problems.

It has already been mentioned that there is a condition that causes the kneecap to track improperly. This is the cause of most knee pain. It has also been said that you need a healthcare professional to diagnose it. One familiar with the condition can take a look at your knees and be able to tell in about ten minutes. That, and the conditon is easily corrected with proper exercise.

No you cannot run with knee braces. No you should not run with painkillers. You should go and see a doctor, as you have been told. If you go to your local emergency room they have to see you even if you owe them millions in unpaid bills. You cannot get turned away. If you can't pay the bill, then don't. Most hospitals have sizeable endowments set aside for patients who cannot afford to pay. This, most likely though, could be taken care of at a walk in clinic for less than $150.

Also, don't discount the new shoes idea. That alone may help. If you can't run and still want to work on cardio, just walk briskly.

Bottom line, go see a doctor.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi

Return to “About Army Physical Training”