Why does noone mention overtraining??

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Deadmeat

Why does noone mention overtraining??

Post by Deadmeat »

I mean people say PT all day blah blah. Though from reading weightlifting books and such that doesn't help, you need to lift one day and get a day to rest and such. I can sorta understand why the army does this....maybe. Though why do it at home. Doing bicep curls everyday 3x a day isn't going to help your body needs time to prepare. Am i the only one who has read this or does everyone just pt till they can't anymore??
Glock

Post by Glock »

I have my own PT schedule. Don't try to buff yourself up, if you plan on being a Ranger you need to be thin and fit.
Deadmeat

Post by Deadmeat »

Ok, well your body needs time to recover is all i'm saying. Mind sharing some of what you do then??
Glock

Post by Glock »

Check out the DEP Commo Zone. I posted it there.
Matt117

Post by Matt117 »

Deadmeat, you are right about your body needing time to recover. Knowing this, you can still do PT everyday, just moderate your excersizes. For example, Monday Wednesday, and Friday, I lift weights and run, Tuesday Thursday and Saturday I swim and do a machine at my gym called precore, which simulates forced marching over verious areas, such as a mountain, ect. I also do excersizes on the odd days that I don't do on the other days such as dips, chin up, more sit ups, more pushups, and more flutter kicks than I usually do on the even days. This workout keeps me lean and built, with a good mix of endurace and strenght. I don't do every excersize every day (except push ups and sit ups) so it gives my body a day to rest. I don't work out at all on sunday either.
Deadmeat

Post by Deadmeat »

Ok matt i got you, thats what i meant just avoid the same muscles everyday. I do chest every other day etc etc you get my drift. Thanks for the input!
Spartan

Lottameat = Deadmeat

Post by Spartan »

Deadmeat:

Sounds like you're pretty focused on weight lifting. That's not going to help you too much at this point, although it may after you actually become a Ranger, IF you have what it takes to make it.

The reason I say this is because your entire body composition will change through the process of OSUT, Airborne, and most especially RIP. Weight lifting may make you stronger and with larger muscles, but the thing that will help you most is overall cardiac endurance and exercises which contribute to your own muscle endurance. If you're doing any weight lifting at all, you should be focusing on a high number of reps and far less on trying to increase the weight, in which case, you may as well be doing pushups, pullups and dips.

You have to wait until after you go through the process of changing your body composition that will occur throught the cycle of your training before lifting weights to bulk up or increase overall muscle mass and strength. Otherwise, the food you receive in basic, ait, airborne and rip will not be sufficient to fuel your body and your body will break down your muscles and use it for fuel, a process which will leave you much more tired than if you entered lean, fit, strong and with great endurance.

Do what you want, but the questions I see you asking here and the books you're talking about referring to have you going down the wrong path, one which will make things MORE difficult for you later.
Deadmeat

Post by Deadmeat »

Yah well weightlifting yes though you hit the nail on the head, I'm doing high reps around 20-25 for each exercise. To help build up endurance i know how much you need it and all. I know how some people lift with high weight and low reps, i must say this is the exact oppostite i have been training in. Any more input?? I also do the standard pushups,situps,pullups etc etc before a workout.
Glock

Post by Glock »

Deadmeat, Ranger pneves is right. Don't worry about weightlifting, just start knocking out pushups. You'll probably get more out of it.
Deadmeat

Post by Deadmeat »

Oh of course, i always do those before lifting and with what every energy is left then i lift.
Glock

Post by Glock »

Deadmeat, stop lifting all together. Push-ups are more practical.
wannuhbe

Post by wannuhbe »

yea i agree with glock. when i was benchpressing earlier this week, i found out i totally sucked at doing pushups afterward.
Deadmeat

Post by Deadmeat »

Pushups mainly work your chest and many other areas seprate. I'm not just going to ignor them. I may stop benching to see how that works. I won't stop doing stuff for the rest of my body. I'm at 35 pushups at the moment. I assume in the 2 minute span you can't stop and then restart after 15-20 seconds. Anyway what i mean is your whole body will be used in Training, while you only get tested on Run,pu,su i think i will contunie other lifting for the other body parts.
SgtSommer
Embryo

sigh...

Post by SgtSommer »

Deadmeat, if you are only popping off 35 pushups you are in deep trouble. I am not a Ranger, but I know the Canadians would barely allow you to pass boot camp with that level of upper body fitness. How are you with pullups? Your right when you said that the military PFT only does a look at pushups/situps and running, but maybe that is a hint that those are the time tested best exercises, and probably the ones you should focus on.
Before you run, learn to walk.
Deadmeat

Post by Deadmeat »

Yah i suppose

Return to “About Army Physical Training”