Look at Teaching

Turning warriors into productive civilian leaders: Employment & Education, Dealing with Veteran's Administration, etc.

Moderator: Site Admin

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Look at Teaching

Post by Jim »

How many years do you have to teach in order to retire?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

ManchuV wrote:I have to check that out. The school district (NEISD) uses a formula.
The reason I mentioned it is that many school systems let you pay to get retirement credit for active duty years of service. For example, in Fairfax county, VA, you can "buy" up to three years of retirement credit in the county school retirement system.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

Yeah, times like that. I think most of us would agree it's some kind of a culture problem. Whether that is the influence of social media, the internet, hell even streaming TV. Whatever it takes to distract you from your child or the opposite way. All any parent can and should do is love their kid without reservations or ultimatums. My un-researched opinion is that many of these children and young adults are absent of that love and attention. That means it comes down to the next line of defense which is the teachers. I had my issues in school but I never doubted that the teachers were there to help me, no matter how much I hated being there.

I read about this activity the teachers did at one school, you probably heard about it. I assume it was a fairly small school. I guess they put up photos of all the kids or list of names. Each teacher who knew the child or had interactions put a mark next to that child. Apparently not long after this started it became clear which children were the "Grey" ones of the school. Ones that at least deserved a hello to see if they are just shy, we had kids like that, or maybe they are a real problem. First way to solve the problem is to ID it, as well all know.

Anyway, all I got. The teaching profession is hard enough without what you have going on right now. My hats off to you and I hope some day I find the time to do the same thing.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04

Return to “Post Service Issues”