Frostbite

Turning warriors into productive civilian leaders: Employment & Education, Dealing with Veteran's Administration, etc.

Moderator: Site Admin

redcon1
Ranger

Frostbite

Post by redcon1 »

Anyone ever hear of someone filing a VA disability claim for Frostbite?
Don't want to be a pu$$y, but I have suffered some long-tem effects since I left the Army. Not sure that really qualifies as a disability.
I was reminded of this yesterday when my fingers turned to white blocks of wood, again, and took over 30 min to thaw out.

If you tell me to Ranger the F*ck Up, I'll move out smartly.
Dave
RS Class 5-91

"Freedom isn't Free"
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Frostbite

Post by Jim »

redcon1 wrote:Anyone ever hear of someone filing a VA disability claim for Frostbite?
Don't want to be a pu$$y, but I have suffered some long-tem effects since I left the Army. Not sure that really qualifies as a disability.
I was reminded of this yesterday when my fingers turned to white blocks of wood, again, and took over 30 min to thaw out.

If you tell me to Ranger the F*ck Up, I'll move out smartly.
Certainly not. Frostbite is a real challenge. Get with your local DAV representative for assistance in getting VA compensation / treatment. Please ensure you can document the circumstances when you were frostbitten.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
redcon1
Ranger

Post by redcon1 »

Thanks Jim. I was treated at Dugway (after being Tabbed, of course) and again at the Hospital at Benning when we flew back to graduate, so those should be in my Medical file.

I know my county has a VA Rep/assistance officer, but not sure about DAV. I'll check it out.
Dave
RS Class 5-91

"Freedom isn't Free"
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

I myself got mild frostbite while going through Ft. Bliss for basic. Partly because they had us scared shitless to go on sick call, partly because I didn't realize how bad it was at the time, I didn't seek treatment. Unfortunately for me, now just fucking around in the freezer, digging between he bags of vegetables is enough to make my hands ache. Believe me when I say I'm sympathetic to your cause.

It definitely helps if it is in your medical record, but it helps even more if it recorded properly. Hopefully, it is. However, because this happened while you were at Ranger school, it doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy. While you were at school any records that didn't make it in your jacket wold be sent through regular distribution back to your sending unit, to be filed properly (with luck..). Hopefully, the cats at Dugaway and back at Camp Rodgers at the time were squared away. If not, the records of your being treated may have been lost.

Hopefully, you have a set of your records. Somewhere in there is a thing called the "master problem list". If the frostbite is on there, you are in luck, because that means it was also recorded properly when it happened. (This ensures that it can be designated as "service connected"..) If not, this could be an uphill battle. If you do have your records (and the entries are in chronological order..) look back to when it happened for the treatment record. It should be recorded on a form "SF-600". Unfortunately, as far as doctors are concerned, if there is no SF-600, then it didn't happen. (at least, not when you said it did..)

Hopefully, this helps. Anything that you were seen for can rear its ugly head when you least expect it. It wouldn't be a stretch to say that frostbite could lead to you prematurely developing arthritis when you get older. If you went to sick call for enough things while you were in, you may be surprised at what the VA considers "disability", and what percentage they give you.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
redcon1
Ranger

Post by redcon1 »

Ah shit, Doc, I don't know that anything was properly recorded as you describe, and I don't have copies of my medical records.

I only went on sick call at RS after I was tabbed, and only because I injured my knee on the last jump (then humped the PRC-77 as FO on the last movement to contact). When we finished the patrol it swelled up at the PB so I went on sickcall, and they immediately evac'd me to the Dispensary for an IV drip for cellulits. That's when they noticed the condition of my hands and feet. I was released to fly back with our class but they deposited me in the hospital back at Benning for further treatment of the knee as well as my hands/feet. But hell, I didn't care about records, diagnosis, etc.. I wanted to get the hell out of there to graduation. I got released (but missed the class photo) with instructions to follow up my reporting unit (at Fort Sill) but never did.

Guess I should ruck the hell up and move out.
Dave
RS Class 5-91

"Freedom isn't Free"

Return to “Post Service Issues”