Access to VA Med Records

Turning warriors into productive civilian leaders: Employment & Education, Dealing with Veteran's Administration, etc.

Moderator: Site Admin

SLEDGE HAMMER
Ranger

Access to VA Med Records

Post by SLEDGE HAMMER »

Sorry for the confusing title, I was unsure how to label the thread, or if this is even the appropriate sub-forum.

Does anyone know who has access to VA med records? I finally signed up for my VA OIF/OEF healthcare so I can avoid the Obamacare madness, and more than likely after school I'll be looking to go back into the military, hopefully as a pilot. As such I would need to pass a flight physical, so I've been trying to keep as clean a slate as possible. Does the military pull VA records(and likewise will the VA pull my med records from when I was in?) when processing prior-service? I have my first general physical coming up, but I was just curious on what kind of impact it could have down the road. Thanks for any assistance.
First Batt, Best Batt 09-12
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Access to VA Med Records

Post by Jim »

Richard Cranium wrote:The Army has never given a shit about my VA file as they don't have efficient crosstalk.....yet.

Their systems are supposed to be tied in with each other soon. I can't remember the NLT date/year, but its supposedly coming. When it does, expect a total clusterfuck.
This reflects my experience. The right hand has no idea what the left hand is doing.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

Are you looking to fly for the Army? Commissioning through ROTC or going Warrant?

Not sure what to tell you theses days, but everything's in MEDPROS, and digitized. Will the Army hold those if you come back in? Will they pull your VA records? Don't know.

What I do know is, you'll need to pass a Class I physical. Getting in and qualified is the hard part. Once you get to Rucker, youll do another Class I. Once you take your first flight, you're in the system, and standards are easier. From there, The annual physical is a Class II, that's not nearly as invasive or detailed as a I.

when I worked it, I hand carried my paper record jacket to he Flight doc. My records got significantly thinner between my BN BAS and the Aviation Med Clinic. Knocked out or concussed? Heavens no, not me. But, all my paper went back in after he reviewed it.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

KW Driver wrote:Are you looking to fly for the Army? Commissioning through ROTC or going Warrant?

Not sure what to tell you theses days, but everything's in MEDPROS, and digitized. Will the Army hold those if you come back in? Will they pull your VA records? Don't know.

What I do know is, you'll need to pass a Class I physical. Getting in and qualified is the hard part. Once you get to Rucker, youll do another Class I. Once you take your first flight, you're in the system, and standards are easier. From there, The annual physical is a Class II, that's not nearly as invasive or detailed as a I.

when I worked it, I hand carried my paper record jacket to he Flight doc. My records got significantly thinner between my BN BAS and the Aviation Med Clinic. Knocked out or concussed? Heavens no, not me. But, all my paper went back in after he reviewed it.
Oh how we unswearnd!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
SLEDGE HAMMER
Ranger

Post by SLEDGE HAMMER »

KW Driver wrote:Are you looking to fly for the Army? Commissioning through ROTC or going Warrant?

I'm going to try and get picked up by an Air National Guard fighter unit since last I knew, the Armys age cap was a good bit older then the AF's 30. I had heard that the Army was going to drop the age down to 30 though, so truth be told, I'll probably go with whatever branch offers me a path to wings since I'll be almost 28.5 when I graduate. If I ended up going back in the Army, I'd probably pursue warrant with the limited knowledge I have of each side of that fence.

My med records didn't have anything crazy in them(I don't think) when I ets'ed so I guess I'll just keep it that way across the board in the government agencies(VA/DoD) eyes to play it safe. Thanks for the insight guys.
First Batt, Best Batt 09-12
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

SLEDGE HAMMER wrote:Sorry for the confusing title, I was unsure how to label the thread, or if this is even the appropriate sub-forum.

Does anyone know who has access to VA med records? I finally signed up for my VA OIF/OEF healthcare so I can avoid the Obamacare madness, and more than likely after school I'll be looking to go back into the military, hopefully as a pilot. As such I would need to pass a flight physical, so I've been trying to keep as clean a slate as possible. Does the military pull VA records(and likewise will the VA pull my med records from when I was in?) when processing prior-service? I have my first general physical coming up, but I was just curious on what kind of impact it could have down the road. Thanks for any assistance.
When I sent away for my military records in circa 1992, There was a copy of a certain letter by a VA PhD dated Sep1970 about my physical & mental health. The PLUSES (11111) were changed (to what I don't remember). So there is indeed communication between the VA & Military.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4

Return to “Post Service Issues”