New initiative from Obama to help soldiers transition.

Turning warriors into productive civilian leaders: Employment & Education, Dealing with Veteran's Administration, etc.

Moderator: Site Admin

DirtyBlackSocks
Tadpole

New initiative from Obama to help soldiers transition.

Post by DirtyBlackSocks »

Received this from my Voc. Rehab. counselor today:

Great news! Today, OPM is launching FedsHireVets.gov, a critical component of President Obama’s Veterans Employment Initiative. This website will become the main source for Veterans employment information and resources for both Veterans and Hiring Officials. Today's launch represents phase one of an ongoing effort to help the men and women who have served our country in the military and their families find employment in the Federal Civil Service. You can view the site at:

http://www.fedshirevets.gov/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"The greatest test of courage on earth is to bear defeat without losing heart." Colonel Robert Ingersoll

"Some where, you learn not to defend your actions and just drive on." Ranger Caruthers
DirtyBlackSocks
Tadpole

Re: New initiative from Obama to help soldiers transition.

Post by DirtyBlackSocks »

The main thing I got out of the web page is that it condenses a lot of different sources into a single site.

Most of the stuff provided on there - is given to you on your initial intake at the VA in various pamphlets.

There is some important information there that Veterans should know about - but it's nothing you can't find digging around. I just thought it was nice to find a lot of it in one place. I have no idea what future plans for the site are.

I can say that the primary tool used to search for jobs - USAJOBS - was of no help to me when I was discharged in finding gainful employment.

What I did find useful on the site is linked here:
http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/veterans.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All of that information is important to know - I know I wasn't told much about it when I was discharged - and is especially useful to disabled Veterans who don't know that their disability percentage through the VA can help them with entrance interviews towards federal jobs.
"The greatest test of courage on earth is to bear defeat without losing heart." Colonel Robert Ingersoll

"Some where, you learn not to defend your actions and just drive on." Ranger Caruthers
42L5V
Ranger

Re: New initiative from Obama to help soldiers transition.

Post by 42L5V »

The ACAP program already explains all that shit to veterans. Yes, you can go back and use it. This is just more expansion of government bullshit and the propoganda of "look! we're taking care of our veterans..." Fuck Obama.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92

Return to “Post Service Issues”