Hip/SI joint issues?

Turning warriors into productive civilian leaders: Employment & Education, Dealing with Veteran's Administration, etc.

Moderator: Site Admin

panthersix
Ranger

Hip/SI joint issues?

Post by panthersix »

My knees are fine but my spine, feet and hips are messed up. I guess the force of the impacts from rucking/PT in jungle boots all went somewhere, just not my knees. Anyone else having problems with their SI (sacroiliac) joint?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacroiliac_joint

I'll be 49 in the spring but have quit running and I'm still trying to walk, but even that's starting to bother me. I went to the VA and all they did was give me 500 mg of Naproxen twice a day.

Any advice?

Thanks!
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Re: Hip/SI joint issues?

Post by Flesh Thorn »

I would not count out going to a reputable chiropractor.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

I use Glucosamine Chondroitin. Take 2 every day. If I miss a couple of days, my knees really feel it. Try it out for about a week and your joints will thank you.

I get mine at Walgreens, alot cheaper than a GNC, and it's the same shit.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
Ops NCO
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Post by Ops NCO »

PantherSix,

I dinged my SI joint pretty bad about ten years ago doing deadlifts (crappy form at the end of a set). Had tons of trouble getting a diagnosis/treatment until I was referred to a sports medicine doc who immediately put me in physical therapy. The PT knew exactly what the problem was and used mobilization techniques and exercises to get everthing realigned. Within six weeks I was out of pain for the first time in over a year.

As stated above, a reputable chiropractor (or a PT who understands SI problems) would probably be a good bet. I'd defintely try that, as SI problems tend to throw the entire frame out of alignment and cause problems elsewhere (upper back, knees, etc) as you try to compensate (of course you already know that - just saw your sig line, Doc). Good luck, 'cause I know it isn't any fun.
11B2P
B Co 1/508 Inf (Abn) and 3/505 PIR
Rugger
Ranger

Post by Rugger »

It also sounds like you could have some arthritis in you lower back. If that is the case glucosamine probably will not do much for you. I would suggest finding a good sports medicine guy to get you on the right track.
A 3/75 86-88 Ranger Class 12-87
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

Thanks for the sports med recommendations. I've been to a reputable Chiro and the first time he "opened up" the SI joint it popped like a gunshot going off! About an hour later I had the biggest shit I think I've had since the 12 day patrol in Fl Phase (I hadn't shit until day six).

I take the glucosamine/chondritin with MSM twice a day with food. It helps me. I'm trying to stay active but all the injuries are freakin adding up! I intuitively know that I need some good Yoga instruction, sports therapist, chiro, and a massage therapist....but the cost of all that shit is staggering! My excuse!

Anyway, I need to get serious and just start with some kind of treatment.

Thanks again!
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

Doc, Some might agree not with me on this, but I have degenerative disc disease all through my back to the point where the VA told me never to lift over ten pounds. I started taking low doses of HGH about 9 months ago and since I have started it. I have had no problems at all. Before I started taking it, I wasn't able to do any kind of bent over lifting or ab exercises which also compounded the problem because my entire core was getting weaker. At one point I was out of work for about a year and a half, three months of which I couldn't walk any more than a few feet at a time. It has been scientifically proven that HGH regenerates cartilage which is a problem that I'm sure most of are lacking and could very well be causing some of your pain. Although it is expensive, I can tell you that it helps me a lot. There are stories out there of people growing bigger heads and other wacky stuff, but if any of those stories are true, it's probably because the people involved were exceeding the recommended dosages by quite a lot.
That's just my $.02 but it might be worth looking into.
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

Rangerguru wrote:Doc, Some might agree not with me on this, but I have degenerative disc disease all through my back to the point where the VA told me never to lift over ten pounds. I started taking low doses of HGH about 9 months ago and since I have started it. I have had no problems at all. Before I started taking it, I wasn't able to do any kind of bent over lifting or ab exercises which also compounded the problem because my entire core was getting weaker. At one point I was out of work for about a year and a half, three months of which I couldn't walk any more than a few feet at a time. It has been scientifically proven that HGH regenerates cartilage which is a problem that I'm sure most of are lacking and could very well be causing some of your pain. Although it is expensive, I can tell you that it helps me a lot. There are stories out there of people growing bigger heads and other wacky stuff, but if any of those stories are true, it's probably because the people involved were exceeding the recommended dosages by quite a lot.
That's just my $.02 but it might be worth looking into.
Is it legal? What's your source? I've read about it, but I thought it was like steroids. Thanks for the tip!
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08

Return to “Post Service Issues”