Spine Trashed from Jumping?

Turning warriors into productive civilian leaders: Employment & Education, Dealing with Veteran's Administration, etc.

Moderator: Site Admin

panthersix
Ranger

Spine Trashed from Jumping?

Post by panthersix »

Anyone else have a bad T-spine from military parachuting? I only had 65 jumps but some of the 30 or so in BN were a bitch. I had to accidents, a partial and mid-air collision, both with landings I barely remember.

Anyway, the VA and a chiro both looked at my x-rays and my discs are now rectangular instead of square. I've been to PT and they recommend back strengthening exercises like planks, but it seems to be getting progressively worse as I head toward 50 y/o!

Any advice?
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
johnjohnson1957
Ranger

Post by johnjohnson1957 »

If you don't already have copies of your medical records from you active duty days, start the process of getting them. Talking to DAV rep to get advice about establishing a service connection if you have not already done so. In case the medical records are unavailable consider collecting statements from witnesses from your mishaps to help establish service connection. Start now as this is a time consuming process and realistically back problems don't magically start getting better with age.

Bugsy wrote
If there is anyone who needs copies of their military records, the DOD now has a website in which you can request any of your military records online, DD214, Medical Records etc.

here is the link:

http://www.archives.gov/research_room/v ... index.html
Army AD medic: FAMC, 2/5 FA, 97 Gen Hosp, AFRC Berchtesgaden, 28 CSH; 1975-1980
Army Guard/Reserve: 1/410 Inf, 209 Med Clr Co, 12th SF: 1982-1988
USAF AD: 1988-2003; Retired
RS 10-81
Black 6
Ranger

Re: Spine Trashed from Jumping?

Post by Black 6 »

panthersix wrote:................ but it seems to be getting progressively worse as I head toward 50 y/o!

Any advice?

Yes Brother...... my advise is to get use to it.

Your VA may be better than mine (enter discusted dialog on how little they do here), but no matter what you will always have problems, and they will only get worse. Doing the PT and other stuff will just make it take longer for it to get really bad for you.
2/75 Blacksheep 92-93, 1/9 93-94
1759 society member

"You will know me by the scars I bear.
You will know me by the hate I swear."-OTEP

01010011 01110000 01100001 01110010 01110100 01100001 01101110 00101111 01001000 01100101 01110010 01101111 00101110
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

I'm service connected for the back, feet, and other stuff. Running in jungle boots in BN was not fun on Perimeter Road!

Right now it just aches and cracks a lot, but it does seem to be getting worse, although I'm getting fatter too. I'm sure that doesn't help. Damn cookies!

I wonder if there is any connection between Ranger School and having a messed up metabolism later in life? Oh well, I'd do it all over again if I could ;) In a heart beat!

RLTW!
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

I'll throw my nickle's worth in... As you age, exercise can be the single most important thing you do. As we get older, we tend to do less physical stuff, so you have to exercise, if you are able to. Strengthening the muscles of your back, stomach and legs in particular can and should help with pain in the long run. The muscles will be able to help support you instead of just your bones. And from what I read, weight lifting helps increase bone density, too. I thinks it's been about 10 years now (I'm 59) I have been pain free and I had sciatica like you wouldn't believe. I couldn't even sit in the car for more than 10 minutes. In my case, exercise has made all the difference and it also keeps the weight off. There is also a book I read back in my pain days entitled "Fix Your Own Back." It can help with exercises and stretches when you are in pain, in effect becoming your own therapist.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

Thanks Ranger Bill,

I only progress as a human at the speed of pain. Pain is a great motivator! I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired. I started to walk more, lift weights again, and eat better. I'm doing my best to replace bad habits with good or just better habits. It takes a habit to break a habit!
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Hey brother, my backs all jacked up too.

What has helped me the most is watching my posture (that's THE biggie) watching how I lift things, and trying not too sit for any great stretch at a time. Might also lower the weight you are lifting and go for more reps.

Some of the exercises I was prescribed seemed to make it hurt more. One of the things that seemed to help me a lot was switching to more "crossfit" bodyweight type compound whole body movements instead of typical "bodybuilding" type isolation mvmts.

It was good l/u for lunch!
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

BadMuther wrote:Hey brother, my backs all jacked up too.

What has helped me the most is watching my posture (that's THE biggie) watching how I lift things, and trying not too sit for any great stretch at a time. Might also lower the weight you are lifting and go for more reps.

Some of the exercises I was prescribed seemed to make it hurt more. One of the things that seemed to help me a lot was switching to more "crossfit" bodyweight type compound whole body movements instead of typical "bodybuilding" type isolation mvmts.

It was good l/u for lunch!
You implying that I have bad posture :shock:
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Tinkerbell
Embryo

Post by Tinkerbell »

It may sound cheesy, but in my particular case yoga helped a lot. Started doing flexi-cises a few years ago, 15-20 min a day and I don't feel like a wreck anymore.
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Jenny Lynn
Tadpole

Post by Jenny Lynn »

Hi all, bad neck, spine, hips and knees from playing soccer for many years, head-on crash in 2005 and two rear-end accidents in 2006 and 2007............

I find taking a warm (in my case, hot to the point of almost scorching) bath with sea salt, epsom, baking soda helps with aches, pains, fatigue, nausea, muscle spasms etc.

Depending on time of year, maladies I will at times add other items such as: natural lemon juice, tea tree oil, eucalyptus, the list goes on and on......

Bath Salts
Other Name: Sea Salt (natural)
Why take a sea salt bath when a regular bath is plenty relaxing? Adding a little sea salt to the bath can:

a. stimulate circulation
b. ease muscle cramps
c. help relieve stiffness in joints
d. aid with arthritis or back pain
e. and soothe achy, overworked legs and feet.

Plus sea salt helps cleanse and detoxify the largest organ in the body – your skin.

Epsom Salt
Other Names: Magnesium Sulfate

News flash! Epsom Salt isn’t actually salt. It should be called Epsom “Salt.” Or Epsom Salt-like. Epsom salt is a pure mineral compound of magnesium sulfate in crystal form, so it looks an awful lot like salt. But it has no sodium chloride. Sodium chloride is salt. Salt is sodium chloride. We like to have all of the facts on the table here at SaltWorks.

Even though it isn’t salt, we don’t deny the many time-proven benefits of Epsom.

A lot of people are magnesium deficient, which can be to blame for a number of maladies including:
a. heart disease
b. stroke
c. osteoporosis
d. arthritis and joint pain
e. digestive problems
f. and chronic fatigue.

A number of factors work against magnesium sulfate if you ingest it. So, the very best way to benefit from this mineral is in the bath. A dose of Epsom in your bath salts will power it up, make it extra strength.

Sulfur Salt / Kala Namak / Black Salt
Other Names: Kala Namak • Sanchal • Black Salt

Not actually black in color, rather a pinkish gray. Very popular in France, Spain, and Japan for a wide variety of conditions including:
a. skin infections
b. inflammations
c. and respiratory problems.

Sulfur salt is an unrefined mineral salt, natural disinfectant, and has a strong purifying and re-mineralizing effect on the body. Harvested in the volcanic regions of Pakistan and India, black salt is a staple in India’s classical Ayurvedic healing methods.

Warning: Bathing in sulfur salt is similar to bathing in sulfuric thermal springs, including the smell!

Baking Soda
Other Name: Sodium Bicarbonate

Baking soda is a product you can get in any grocery store. It's sometimes called soda ash in fancy bath products. It has a alkaline base. Baking soda helps soften your water, and is great for:
a. rashes,
b. sunburns
c. and itchy skin.

It acts as a mild skin cleanser, and softens your skin.

(I copied this next sentence from a naturopath website so this is not me speaking) I find this helps me very much when I have an outbreak of shingles. The itching is less and the lavender helps the itching, pain, and helps prevent scarring.

I find that I feel worse on a day that I do not take my daily bath with natural remedies. Jenny
Jenny
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.” Galileo Galilei

"If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right” Marcus Tullius Cicero

"By special Pastoral appointment."
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

Does it work for genital warts?
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Jenny Lynn
Tadpole

Post by Jenny Lynn »

Ranger Panthersix,
Spine Trashed from Jumping and genital warts...... ah I'm not seeing the correlation :? but since you asked........ (if this post should be moved to another thread I'd be more then happy to move it there or if the admins could help if it is deemed necessary it'd be greatly appreciated.)

From what I've read Genital Warts home remedy treatment is quite effective.

Following are some Genital Warts cure home remedies I have found in homepathic books, websites etc:

a. Apply oil (vitamin E) on the genital warts affected area and put some chopped raw garlic pieces on it and cover using an adhesive tape.

b. Extract juice from onion slices and add salt to it. Apply this juice on the wart-affected area and see the magical effects.

c. Another great idea is to apply the milky juice of figs on the warts 2-3 times in a day, till the warts disappear.

d. Put few drops of apple cider vinegar on the warts using cotton ball.

e. Consume foods rich in folic acid and beta-carotene. Eat plenty of dark green and leafy veggies.

f. Aloe has been used for hundreds of years as a home remedy for genital warts. Apply the aloe externally in cream form or directly from the aloe plant. Aloe eases discomfort and may help in the removal of genital warts.

g. Home remedies for genital warts may include changes in the diet. As noted in e. above, eat a diet rich in folic acid and beta carotene. Eat fruits and vegetables like radish, mango, squash and tomato which are orange, yellow and red in color. Dark green and leafy vegetables like spinach and cabbage and are also recommended.

People undergoing home remedies for genital warts are encouraged to avoid cigarettes, caffeine and oral contraceptives. Using condoms prevents transmission to some extent. Taking pap test regularly is also smart too.

I can just imagine the thoughts running through certain individual's minds as they read this post.....like Wow never knew things people eat in their salads could remedy this.

As in many other countries, I think natural remedies (unless one is allergic to a nautral ingredient) is so much better then synthetically made remedies that can cause unforeseen side effects.

OK NOW BACK TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED PROGRAM ON SPINE TRASHED FROM JUMPING.
Jenny
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.” Galileo Galilei

"If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right” Marcus Tullius Cicero

"By special Pastoral appointment."
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

Return to “Post Service Issues”