Writing my resume

Turning warriors into productive civilian leaders: Employment & Education, Dealing with Veteran's Administration, etc.

Moderator: Site Admin

The Old Guy
Ranger

Writing my resume

Post by The Old Guy »

In trying to honestly write my resume I am having a very difficult time translating my Special Forces/Ranger experience into something that is marketable and valuable to a employer (outside of the security realm).

Here are some bullet statements I have just thrown out on the table.

• Conducted classroom, outside and non-standard instruction programs to over 1200 people annually.
• Operated independently with minimal guidance, few assets, and a clear end-state for up to six months at a time.
• Taught risk management and team building in a multi-dimensional environment for nine years without a single loss of life.
• Conducted professional development oriented and individual counseling daily.
• Supervised the quality of syndicated / small group training for U. S. and International Officers and NCOs.
• Instructed and co-wrote the POI for over 30 separate weapons systems, both foreign and domestic.
• Completed USAIMA and USAIC Instructor Training Courses.
• Conducted bi-monthly range exercises, in which over $2,000,000 in ammunition was expended without incident.
• Conducted daily classroom instruction with an average population of 120 individuals.

I am five months out from retirement and starting to apply for employment opportunities in the area I plan on living. Havng been employed for the past 28 years it is difficult to understand what civilian employers want and what I have to offer. Any constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.

TOG
The way in which a man accepts his fate and all the suffering it entails, the way in which he takes up his cross, gives him ample opportunity – even under the most difficult circumstances – to add a deeper meaning to his life.

Viktor E. Frankl
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

There is a company called Cameron Brooks that does military recruiting. They have a book that they make the recruits buy that gives, I think, great insight into translating military credentials into civilian speak. I used that to get mine fixed. I highly recommend the book, not necessarily the company (unless you are willing to use them exclusively and move where they want you to). That said, the recruiter's (CB, Lucas Group, Orion Group, etc...) do work pretty well, if you're interested.

You seem to have done a very good job so far. The best advice I can give is to use quantifiable points, as you have done. Dollars, number of hours, number of 'direct reports,' etc. That's all civilians speak anyway. While you and I understand the magnitude of conducting live fire operations without killing a friendly, they have no concept. I have had multiple conversations with HR chiefs from big companies and none of them are on the same sheet of music re: hiring experienced vets.

I hate to say it, but be prepared to be very frustrated with civilians lack of knowledge and appreciation. Hopefully, you'll get lucky and find someone that sees the value of your experience. I swear, I could've used a support group in my adjustment from the Army to the business world. It took 2 1/2 years in an MBA program to fully transition. A good friend of mine retired as an O-6 after being the White House Commo Officer. He had the same issues.

If I can be of any help, don't hesitate.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

Just a few bullet points in response:

- Eliminate military terminology (ie.. POI, USAIMA, USAIC, NCO's)
- Focus on your leadership capability
- More emphasis on your ability to train/teach
- Eliminate text referencing "loss of life" (that will scare them)

Bear in mind (and oddly enough) that most HR types and even many hiring managers have no military exposure, so much of your resume' will either intimidate or scare off a potential employer.

Translate your ability into non-military speak (ie.. supervisors instead of NCO's)

Most companies would love to hire a capable former-military person if they believe they'll bring with them a "can-do" and leadership abilities.

Much success crossing the bridge.

Edited to add:

- Target your resume' to the employer's business objectives and your ideal role

I have at least 4 different resume's that I use dependent on the company, the role I hope to secure, etc..
US Army 1986 - 1994
InfoSec/InfraGard/NetGuard (1994 - Present)
Random world and Adventures of BruteForce

Return to “Post Service Issues”