Disability Rating Re-Evaluation

Turning warriors into productive civilian leaders: Employment & Education, Dealing with Veteran's Administration, etc.

Moderator: Site Admin

ShotUp
Soldier

Disability Rating Re-Evaluation

Post by ShotUp »

RANGERs and Veterans,

Yesterday I recieved the findings of my disability rating from the VA. I was awarded 80%,which is a nice chunk of change for a person attending college like myself. While they awarded me a percentage for everything I reported, it left me with one big question. I did some searching and couldn't seem to find the answer.

My question is this: For one of my ratings it states that they will re-evaluate my rating for a certain problem I have, as it has the chance of getting better and not creating anymore problems for me. How long will they wait to re-evaluate me on this problem, and what do I need to know to make sure they don't screw me over if it's still causing problems?

If this re-evaluation happens to be case by case, I will be happy to PM the problem to anyone with an answer, as I feel it's not important to state to the entire site. Any help is very much appreciated.
02-08 1/128 INF BN
Livalitle
Inprocessing

Post by Livalitle »

When they sent me my findings, they gave me a re-eval date in my packet. (2 years from start of disability, Im sure it has to be different with each case) Make sure you did not over look it. You might be able to call the VA and they could tell you....Then again somtimes it is a bitch just trying to get somone on the phone....
Chance favors the prepared mind.
RLTW

1/75 Ranger Batt.
A Co. 2nd Platoon
WS/S-5
04-05
Darksaga
Soldier

Post by Darksaga »

I would recommend you run it by a Veteran Service Officer and just have them review it. (ie DAV, Foreign Legion, VFW etc etc)

They should be able to explain anything and everything you want to know about your case.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henery Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"I might not be Airborne however, it's whats on my right sleave!"
*1992-1996 USMC CPL
* 12/2005- present USAR Medic PL/ Human Terrain Teams
fireranger
Ranger

Re: Disability Rating Re-Evaluation

Post by fireranger »

ShotUp wrote:
My question is this: For one of my ratings it states that they will re-evaluate my rating for a certain problem I have, as it has the chance of getting better and not creating anymore problems for me. How long will they wait to re-evaluate me on this problem, and what do I need to know to make sure they don't screw me over if it's still causing problems?
I had the same thing listed on my rating - everything was fine (4 years) until I added another dependent (30% + additional dependent = more $$$). Soon after I was requested to go get a re-eval. exam and the civilian doc downgraded me to 10%. This was in the summer of 04. I got my rating raised to 20% in the fall of 2005 through an appeal of the findings and I have been waiting to hear back on the status of the official hearing I requested with the BVA.

I was told by numerous sources, some here on the board, that the key is to show through documentation that your injury that the VA claims has the potential to get better, is in fact not getting ANY better and is actually getting worse. Hope that helps.
3 rd. Plt. C Co. 2/75 1993-1997, RS 10-94 (Navigators)

But, I'm funny how? Funny like a clown? I amuse you? I make you laugh? I'm here to fuckin' amuse you?

Return to “Post Service Issues”