Careers for Rangers

Turning warriors into productive civilian leaders: Employment & Education, Dealing with Veteran's Administration, etc.

Moderator: Site Admin

Nomad
Ranger

Re: This is a topic I'm an expert on.

Post by Nomad »

SSG Rock wrote:...I think I've done alright for myself, because at this time I'm raking in a little over $76,000 annually. Even for a contractor that is highly compensated. There are some simple things that any good Soldier can do to improve himself and it isn't rocket science. It's mettle...
Please fill me in as to what exactly you are doing Brother. I am interested!
dyks
Ranger

Post by dyks »

For those of you who can handle NOT jumping out of a good plane I might suggest aviation as a career. It's not for everyone but I find that it feeds the same fire that drove me to the regiment. Everything from crew resource management to technical expertise over complex systems. Very demanding time-constrained decision-making and leading by example when seniority comes into play. Plus it's a shitload of fun. I finish my commercial license later this year and I'm going to Seattle and later Alaska to get some bush-flying time. Besides, what major airline in today's world would not want a capable ranger at the helm. I pity the poor bastard who would try to take that cockpit with a boxcutter. just food for thought.
B CO 3/75 96-98

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
Lonewolfe
Egg

Post by Lonewolfe »

I can handle jumping out of a plane! No FEAR!
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

Lonewolfe wrote:I can handle jumping out of a plane! No FEAR!
Heed the warnings.
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Lonewolfe wrote:I can handle jumping out of a plane! No FEAR!

SHUT THE FUCK UP.....
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

*BUMP*

I work in the electric industry in Illinois. What Ranger Abell stated is the truth.

While going through the interview process, one of the questions was:

"What do you know about electricity Mr. XXX?"
My answer: "I know it's lazy, like water, it follows the path of least resistance".

I got the job. The most succesful studs I know are the ex-military types working for this company. My SF buddy and I exceeding most of them because we have a little edge,

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight on to the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor.

no civillian out there gets it. A couple of guys I work with are close, and are trying to model themselves after what Rangers do/think.

That being said, my company is goind through a Re-Org soon. We will be looking for First Line Supervisors. It's not the most fun job (Because to civillians it's hard), but it pays. From off the street I can say starting salary will be $75,000 to $80,000.

If anyone is interested, send me a PM and I can help direct your fire.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
rangermatt

Post by rangermatt »

Please see my post here regarding post-service employment issues:

http://www.armyranger.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=24850
Aco 1/75 85-89
Ranger class 8(&9!)-87
Scout Platoon Leader, etc. 1-12 Cav 1CD 94-99

Yes I know my name says "member"
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

For all the IT/Infosec oriented veterans out there, the trick (at least for me (I make over $100k annually)) is to get your security oriented certifications (and have business knowledge).

I decided to head down the GIAC path (hence the GSEC logo in my sig. block), and that instantly increased my annual salary by about $30k/year.

The trick in any post-service occupation is to have a solid understanding of business and to associate your role/responsibilities toward business priorities.

The military background/education and bearing do add tremendous value. When compared to my peers, it's easier for employers to determine the "CAN-DO" compared to the "MIGHT-DO" types.

..for whatever it's worth.
US Army 1986 - 1994
InfoSec/InfraGard/NetGuard (1994 - Present)
Random world and Adventures of BruteForce
smokn38
Paratrooper

Post by smokn38 »

Cliv03 wrote:SSG Rock,

Yup...had to get out of N.Y....not because it's a horrible state, but because it's a state with a horrible economy. Either you are rich or poor, not much in between. After moving into Michigan the auto industry went to shit, causing the state's economy to go to shit. It is still a much, much less expensive place to live than New York could ever dream of. I have, in fact, studied the local chamber of commerce, as well as other town and city chambers of commerce throughout the mid-Michigan area. They all seem quite fair and even in terms of income per capita. I have also sent numerous resumes and filled out countless applications for, not only police officer openings, but corrections officer and security officer positions throughout a 50 mile radius of where I reside. It's frustrating hearing people say, "Oh you'll have no problem getting a job in law enforcement...military background...college degree." Seems to me that it's not what you know...but who you know, that will get you that job. Guess I'll just keep drivin on.
PM Sent.
HHC 1/508th Panama 1989-1990
HHC and A Co 1/505th 1990-1992

Return to “Post Service Issues”