Careers for Rangers

Turning warriors into productive civilian leaders: Employment & Education, Dealing with Veteran's Administration, etc.

Moderator: Site Admin

rexfire
USAF Veteran

Re: Careers for Rangers

Post by rexfire »

Well there hasn't been a post on here in three years but I would like to offer a very viable carrer option for post service Rangers and that career is Firefighting. Being a Ranger translates very well to firefighting. Being a fireman you need to be able to perform under pressure, work as a team, follow direction, be a self starter, be able to work and perform on your own at times. The pay and benefits are good. In Illinois, at this time, you can retire with 50% at 20 yrs or 75% of your pay after 30 years. On my dept starting pay is $50,000 in 4 yrs you top at FF to $64,000. Lt's make $72,559 and Capt's make $83,057. As a Captain with my logevity pay I will make over $86,000 in 2011. It is a great job with camaraderie. You get your adrenaline rush still, everyday is different you dont have to ride a desk. And instead of LE, people like when you show up:) Getting on a fire dept can be a challenge, but so was getting to be a Ranger so that shouldn't be anything new.
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Post by C-MAC »

So this is something I know pretty well- hiring good people.

My first comment would be don't exclude anything and dream big. You're a Ranger dammit- how many people can say that? I have always found that folks who served in elite units are self-starters, confident, driven and don't need a lot of hand holding.They generally plan and are action oriented. That is invaluable. In today's world there are so many prima donna's it's irritating. Push that self-starter angle of your experience if you are going for a job.

Yes, there is a big need for technology oriented jobs. Increasingly important is the security aspect. Companies want people they can trust and having a government security clearance/training puts you right at the top of the list for many jobs. You also get priority when moving to other branches of the government (e.g. Commerce Dept.). Don't limit yourself to any particular industry. For example financial services is growing in a huge way and many companies are moving south to Florida, Carolina's. Georgia, etc. There is a significant problem finding qualified people.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.
If you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. Don't let life happen to you. Grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
Ranger KW Driver
ABN509
US Army Veteran

Post by ABN509 »

Vets and Rangers, I am a little late to this party but I just wanted you all to know that BBVA Compass is about to push out a huge project focused on hiring military personnel who have recently discharged, soldiers in TAP, current National Guard, ect... The 2 guys that have put the military piece together are National Guard O-3 (one is a OCS OIC and the other is an Engineer)that currently work in HR and are driving this hard. Keep an eye out for it on http://www.bbvacompass.com and if anyone see's anything that interest them then shoot me a message. I control the Finance unit for HR, meaning I build the budget and do all things finance and Human Capital related. I am close to the recruiters and the SVP over recruiting and can help in an big way for any of you.

Rock Island Ranger, I hope you do not mind but I showed pieces of your original post to the SVP of Recruitment and he was very inspired and has shared it with numerous people. I was a Paratrooper and when he asked how I got to this position I didnt really know what to tell him except with Infantry guys we are more personality driven and can fit into almost any job thrown at us. Your post was brilliant and summed it up perfectly.

I am here for you guys, so please let me know if there is anything i can do to help.
Worldweaver
Ranger

Post by Worldweaver »

Hate to be "that" guy, but does anyone know of any entry-level or manager in training position openings?
Go Tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie.
--Simonides

Bco. 1/75 2006-2010
RS 06-08
Worldweaver
Ranger

Post by Worldweaver »

Lunch,

I'm game for anything. Thanks for the assist brother.
Go Tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie.
--Simonides

Bco. 1/75 2006-2010
RS 06-08

Return to “Post Service Issues”