DD-214

Turning warriors into productive civilian leaders: Employment & Education, Dealing with Veteran's Administration, etc.

Moderator: Site Admin

Silverback
Ranger

DD-214

Post by Silverback »

Info - you can now access your DD-214 on-line. Please pass this information on to retired military personnel you may know.

The National Personnel Records Center has provided the following website for veterans to access their DD-214 online:
http://vetrecs.archives.gov

This may be particularly helpful when a veteran needs a copy of his DD-214 for employment purposes. Please see the details below.

The National Personnel Records Center is working to make it easier for veterans with computers and Internet access to obtain copies of documents from their military files.

Military veterans and the next of kin of deceased former military members may now use a new online military personnel records system to request documents. Other individuals with a need for documents must still complete the Standard Form 180 which can be downloaded from the online web site.

The new web-based application was designed to provide better service on these requests by eliminating the records center's mailroom processing time.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Bell

Post by Bell »

And it takes forever. Doing my third attempt to get my DD214 in two years.

RLTW
Bell
SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Post by SkyShark »

sriley wrote:Ranger Bell, when you finally get your DD214 you can take it down to the local courthouse and have them register a copy. If you ever need another official copy you can get it directly from the courthouse quick and cheap.
Yep, or the nearest VA Building. You get a copy anytime you want and it is free.
It's all good.
wellfed
Ranger

Post by wellfed »

I've heard about bringing it to the courthouse...but many advocate against it, because it becomes a public document/public record and you can't control who has access to it. You SSN is on it and so is your Birthdate. VA is probably better.
"You're never beaten until you admit it."

RS 1-86
Cat
Tadpole

Post by Cat »

sriley wrote:Ranger Bell, when you finally get your DD214 you can take it down to the local courthouse and have them register a copy. If you ever need another official copy you can get it directly from the courthouse quick and cheap.
That was my first stop after getting out of the Army. I turned in one copy (the Alpha one I believe) and kept the others. It has come in handy.
U.S. Army Signal Corps, 31M7A/31S
385th SigCo (FWD) Kuwait Jan 94- Dec 94
235th(67th) TACSAT Ft Gordon, GA. 95-97
--
Mainz-Kastel, Germany 98-00, AD Dept
Ft Bragg 00-02, AD Dept
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

wellfed wrote:I've heard about bringing it to the courthouse...but many advocate against it, because it becomes a public document/public record and you can't control who has access to it. You SSN is on it and so is your Birthdate. VA is probably better.
You are correct wellfed. Identity theft is real and handing your personal infor at your local courthouse for convenience is suicide. Guard your personal numbers and records at all times. The grief you save may be your own.

RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
msg_dman
Ranger

Post by msg_dman »

After all the horror stories I have heard here, I made the guy sit down with me for 2 hours until my DD 2-14 was perfect. I should be set when I hit my retirement date, no errors, and nothing needs to be added.
Ranger Class # 12-89
Merrills PSG 89-90
C/Co 4th RTB 90-92
USASOC Ft Bragg 01-06
Retired 1 Feb 2006

In Memory of 1LT Ben Hall - KIA 31 July 2007
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

msg_dman wrote:After all the horror stories I have heard here, I made the guy sit down with me for 2 hours until my DD 2-14 was perfect. I should be set when I hit my retirement date, no errors, and nothing needs to be added.
I never even got to sign mine and it is fucked up. They show me going to AIT in 1984. I didn't join the Army untill 85.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Kurt V
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Post by Kurt V »

If you don't have one you should get a safe deposit box at the bank. Or if you are too cheap for that, at least get a fire proof box to store your DD214, car titles, insurance, etc.

For those with an AKO account, your DD-214 should be a scanned record for you to look at. Hell they even have my original enlistment contract scanned in.
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Draco771 wrote:Rangers I apologize for my attitude lately, I will refrain from posting for a while, and read a bit more.
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
rangerjd
Ranger

Re: DD-214

Post by rangerjd »

Trying to order my DD-214 and the link that Silverback supplied must be an old one. Anyone have any suggestions on how to order a new DD-214. I moved 6 years ago and I haven't seen mine since.
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Re: DD-214

Post by centermass »

rangerjd wrote:Trying to order my DD-214 and the link that Silverback supplied must be an old one. Anyone have any suggestions on how to order a new DD-214. I moved 6 years ago and I haven't seen mine since.
The link is still valid, but broken on their end J. I shot them an e-mail asking if they are aware and if it will be fixed sometime in the near future.

If you still need another, you can do it via snail mail by SF-180 and following the instructions at the link provided below after printing off the copy at the other link provided below:

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/milita ... 80.html#sf

http://www.archives.gov/research/order/ ... rm-180.pdf

Hope this helps.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.

Return to “Post Service Issues”